79th Academy Awards Nominations

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think I just figured out why Love You I Do and Patience were nominated alongside Listen. Now the Oscars can feature Beyonce, Eddie and Jennifer...two of them Oscar nominees singing...the Academy loves that...they'll also have the chance to recognize Melissa Etheridge...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Akash wrote:In fact, now that Dreamgirls has been deflated considerably, should Hudson be very very afraid of a Breslin upset?

I remember another Hudson who was a sure thing for Best Supporting Actress even after her film didn't make the Best Picture line up.

We all know what happened there...
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Single worst nomination: Philip Glass for his obnoxious score in Notes of a Scandal
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:I think this means - injustices abound - we're damned with an interesting race. Woo...hoo?
Right. It's suspenseful, but not very exciting--I mean, we're forced to choose between Crappy Movie A or Crappy Movie B.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My brain just shat itself. That's a weird feeling.

Initial thoughts...um...struggling with that one.

Honestly, I'm fine with 'Dreamgirls' not making the cut. I don't really like the movie, but Lord knows I wish 'The Departed' could've picked up one or two of its nominations. I don't know how 'The Queen' factors into more categories than 'The Departed', let alone 'Blood Diamond' the same.

I think this means - injustices abound - we're damned with an interesting race. Woo...hoo?
"How's the despair?"
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I just woke up so I know I'm kinda late on this, but..

WTF??!!!!

Dreamgirls snubbed for Best Pic AND Director??? They could have left off the The Queen or LMS, at least for Best Pic.

No Volver for Foreign Flick?

No Prince?
(obviously not benefiting from the late GG date)

Now that that's out of the way:

1. Never underestimate the power of Clint Eastwood/Spielberg

2. I knew Ryan Gosling would hold on to his dear life for BA

3. Was Best Actress the safest line-up in years in terms of predictions?

4. What is DreamWorks going to do now? Make J Hud & E Murphy the focal points of their ads?
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:Damien, you may just get your wish. If these people loved Crash, they're sure to love Blabble (Sorry about your friend even if I didn't like the film).
Thanks, Akash. But as Original BJ wrote in his eloquent post, "Putting Things In Perspective" (in Niscellaneous Off-Topic), it's only the Oscars.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Chuckster
Graduate

Post by Chuckster »

Interesting piece of trivia.

We know it will be the third year in a row the movie with the most nominations does not win Best Picture.

Last time that happened the first three years!!

I think it may be the first time the movie with the most nominations was not nominated for Best Picture. They Shot Horeses Don't They was in second place.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:To be fair, Heksagon pointed that fact about Hack-is out, but it's still a fairly reprehensible nomination. The Academy seems to do whatever it can to find loopholes. "Story By..." op, there's a nod for Hack-is. Hooray for us.

At least with the wide open slate, we will have many interesting choices and will perhaps make for a suspenseful night?
Story By credits often get nominated at the Oscars. The Academy goes based off the official screen credits form, which probably listed Haggis who's probably blown every major Academy member out there.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

To be fair, Heksagon pointed that fact about Hack-is out, but it's still a fairly reprehensible nomination. The Academy seems to do whatever it can to find loopholes. "Story By..." op, there's a nod for Hack-is. Hooray for us.

At least with the wide open slate, we will have many interesting choices and will perhaps make for a suspenseful night?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

FilmFan720 wrote:Emmanuel Lubezki (Cinematography 2005 - New World, Cinematography 2006 - Children of Men)
Cool. Two years in a row of wonderful work for Directors and films that SHOULD be nominated.

Damien, you may just get your wish. If these people loved Crash, they're sure to love Blabble (Sorry about your friend even if I didn't like the film).
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:I say thank god no Prince. He trashed his own past music because of his "born again" type emergence, then preceded for years to churn out crap. To recognize him for a song that wasn't even that great to begin with would have been sad. I'm glad he's out.
I think Prince's music has been largely negligible since the underrated Gold Experience, but ... shut up.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eww, good call Franz Ferdinand. 3 years in a row for Paul Haggis? Ick! Go away you lousy, lousy man!

3 years in a row was enough to turn my nonchalance towards Renee Zellweger into complete hatred.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm rooting for Babel to win.

Oh, it's an absolute piece of junk (though not as bad as Little Miss Piggy) but a Babel victory would further push into utter irrelevance an organization that in recent years has called Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, and Crash the year's best.

Oh, and how did Rinko Kikuchi ever get involved in an Oscar race? What a waste of a nomination for a completely bland nothing of a performance.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I have to run, and won't be back until late tonight, but this should be a great season for all of us. Lot's of fun ahead:)

One of my favorite parts of the morning, here are the returning nominees from last year:

Last Years Nominees nominated again:
Anna Behlmer (Sound Mixing 2005 - War of the Worlds, Sound Mixing 2006 - Blood Diamond)
Judi Dench (Actress 2005 - Mrs. Henderson Presents, Actress 2006 - Notes on a Scandal)
Emmanuel Lubezki (Cinematography 2005 - New World, Cinematography 2006 - Children of Men)
Paul Massey (Sound Mixing 2005 - Walk the Line, Sound Mixing 2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean)
Andy Nelson (Sound Mixing 2005 - War of the Worlds, Sound Mixing 2006 - Blood Diamond)
Kevin O'Connell (Sound Mixing 2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha, Sound Mixing 2006 - Apocalypto)
Wally Pfister (Cinematogarphy 2005 - Batman Begins, Cinematography 2006 - The Prestige)
Greg P. Russell (Sound Mixing 2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha, Sound Mixing 2006 - Apocalypto)
Steven Spielberg (Director/Picture 2005 - Munich, Picture 2006 - Letters from Iwo Jima)

Last Years Winners nominated again:
Chris Boyes (Sound Mixing 2005 - King Kong, Sound Editing/Sound Mixing 2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean)
Paul Haggis (Picture/Original Screenplay 2005 - Crash, Original Screenplay 2006 - Letters from Iwo Jima)
John Myhre (Art Decoration 2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha, Art Decoration 2006 - Dreamgirls)
Gretchen Rau (Art Decoration 2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha, Art Decoration 2006 - The Good Shepherd)
Gustavo Santaoalla (Score 2005 - Brokeback Mountain, Score 2006 - Babel)

Plus, note that all 3 of the Mexican Trio got nods...Inarritu for Director, del Toro for Original Screenplay and Cuaron for Adapted Screenplay and Editing
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The 8th Decade”