Best Original Song

1998 through 2007
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:Well the Globes are not a good bellweather for the song Oscar. Last year they gave it for some thing Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart threw together for Alfie which wasn't even nominated for the Oscar.
Last year they gave it to another non-nominated song -- "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" from Brokeback Mountain.

That's two years in a row. This could be the third.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well the Globes are not a good bellweather for the song Oscar.Two years ago they gave it for some thing Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart threw together for Alfie which wasn't even nominated for the Oscar.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

The Original BJ wrote:One thing I always hate about the Globes is that, living on the west coast, I can't share it with so many of you watching it live!

I thought "Listen" had this in the bag. I'm kinda mad too. "Listen" is miles better than "The Song of the Heart," IMO. (Sorry, Eric.)

I told you all that contrary to popular belief Prince had the edge here. He's a respected industry vet that still marvels the public after all these years. Controversy aside, Listen was after all an overblown Divaeque ballad, the type that peaked on radio years ago. And regarding the Oscars, remember they gave him one for the score of Purple Rain in '85 and could very well give him another.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Eric wrote:My name's Eric and I love Prince. Especially for not showing up to award shows that don't matter.
He actually did show up eventually. He was caught in traffic. Hugh and Drew gave him a shout-out before they presented Original Score.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

One thing I always hate about the Globes is that, living on the west coast, I can't share it with so many of you watching it live!

I thought "Listen" had this in the bag. I'm kinda mad too. "Listen" is miles better than "The Song of the Heart," IMO. (Sorry, Eric.)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm shocked they resisted the urge to give Dreamgirls another award (and to get Beyonce onstage).

Even worse - already I have one wrong guess for my GG prediction's.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

My name's Eric and I love Prince. Especially for not showing up to award shows that don't matter.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Song of the Heart - Happy Feet
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”