Rosie vs. The Donald

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:“When you’re a president who has destroyed the lives of probably a million people, our soldiers and Iraqis who are maimed and killed — you see children going into school in Baghdad with no arms and legs — I don’t think Bush’s kids should be having lots of fun in Argentina,” he says.

“No matter how long we stay in Iraq, no matter how many soldiers we send, the day we leave, the meanest, most vicious, most brilliant man in the country, a man who makes Saddam Hussein look like a baby, will take over and spit on the American flag,” he says. “Bush will go down as the worst and by far the dumbest president in history.”

Colin Powell, he considers irredeemable as well: “He’s speaking up now, but he’s no longer relevant. I call him a pathetic and sad figure.”
Ah Miss Dowd, sliding even further into irrelevancy I see? Pity. So much talent gone to waste on issues no one cares about.

I still think Trump is crass, obnoxious and unlikable BUT, I give him vestigial credit for the above quoted gems.

I guess even a crass bull can reject bulls*it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

New York Times
December 23, 2006

Trump Fired Up
By MAUREEN DOWD
Donald Trump gives me an interview, though he has his doubts.

“I would like the interview to be in the Sunday paper,” he says.

He can’t be worried about his exposure, so it must be his boundless appetite for bigger/taller/glitzier that makes him yearn for the larger readership of Sunday.

“Me, too,” I reply. “But the only way that’s going to happen is if I give Frank Rich my notes and let him write the column.”

“I like Frank Rich,” he says, his voice brimming with appreciation for a man whose circulation is bigger than mine.

“Me, too,” I say.

Kurt Andersen, who jousted with the Donald as an editor at Spy, celebrates the “Daffy Duck” of deal-making in New York magazine this week as one of the “Reasons to Love New York,” calling him “our 21st century reincarnation of P. T. Barnum and Diamond Jim Brady, John Gotti minus the criminal organization, the only white New Yorker who lives as large as the blingiest, dissiest rapper — de trop personified.”

When I call De Trop Trump at Mar-a-Lago, he’s still ranting about “that big, fat slob Rosie O’Donnell.” When he granted Tara Conner, the naughty beauty queen, a second chance this week, Rosie made a crack on “The View” about an oft-married snake-oil salesman not being the best person to pass moral judgments. He slimed back, and the Great American Food Fight was on.

This past year was rife with mistakes — global mistakes, bigoted tirades, underwear mishaps. Winding up 2006, I asked the celebrity arbiter of who-can-stay and who-must-go about redemption.

In the case of Hollywood’s overexposed and underdressed young ladies of the night, Mr. Trump judiciously notes that in some cases, carousing is good for your career. His rule is, the more talented you are, the less you should mindlessly party. But if mindlessly partying is your talent, go for it.

“Britney,” he says, “doesn’t carry it off as well as Paris.”

How about those other international party girls, the Bush twins?

“When you’re a president who has destroyed the lives of probably a million people, our soldiers and Iraqis who are maimed and killed — you see children going into school in Baghdad with no arms and legs — I don’t think Bush’s kids should be having lots of fun in Argentina,” he says.

Should viewers give Katie Couric another look?

If you can’t get the ratings, he says, you’re cooked: “I like Katie, but she’s hit bottom and she’ll stay there. She made a terrible, tragic mistake for her career. She looks extremely unhappy on the show. I watched her the other night, and she’s not the same Katie.”

Can Gwyneth rebound from her comments comparing Americans unfavorably with Brits? “Gwyneth Paltrow is a good actress with average looks,” he says. “She likes to ride the high English horse. But when she puts down this country that gave her more than she should have had, it’s disgusting.”

Michael Richards and Judith Regan made irredeemable mistakes, in his view, as did Al Gore and John Kerry, when they couldn’t win winnable elections, and W., Cheney and Rummy, when they invaded Iraq.

“No matter how long we stay in Iraq, no matter how many soldiers we send, the day we leave, the meanest, most vicious, most brilliant man in the country, a man who makes Saddam Hussein look like a baby, will take over and spit on the American flag,” he says. “Bush will go down as the worst and by far the dumbest president in history.”

Colin Powell, he considers irredeemable as well: “He’s speaking up now, but he’s no longer relevant. I call him a pathetic and sad figure.”

He thinks John McCain has lost the 2008 election by pushing to send more troops to Iraq but that Hillary should be forgiven for her “horrendous” vote to authorize the war. “Don’t forget that decision was based on lies given to her,” he says. “She’s very smart and has a major chance to be our next president.”

He deems it “not a good sign” that Barack Obama got into a sketchy real estate deal with a sleazy Chicago political figure. “But he’s got some wonderful qualities,” Mr. Trump says, and deserves another chance.

And how about Monica Lewinsky, who just graduated from the London School of Economics? “It’s good she graduated,” he says. “She’s been through a lot.”

When it comes to having an opinion on everything, Trump towers.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think Rosie hit too close to home when she talked about his several bankruptcy filings before his father died and left him all his money. His comments were way below the belt, callign Rosie ugly inside and out and saying he didn't know why Kelly stayed with her, that he could get one of his friends to go over her huse and steal her away with one look or something. It wasn't clear whether he was talking about a male or female friend. The whole thing, though, is pretty stupid, and I can't believe I'm sitting here at six o'clock in the morning wasting time commenting on it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

paperboy wrote:I'm with Rosie after Trump said he'd send a man around to steal her girlfriend. Creepy.
I don't know that he said that. I think he was implying that he'd send one of his Lesbian friends around to "steal" her away.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

I'm with Rosie after Trump said he'd send a man around to steal her girlfriend. Creepy.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm rooting for Rosie and here's why:

comedians have been making fun of The Donald's hair for years and he is hardly the moral compass (robs the cradle each time out of the barn). So all of her points and jabs are absolutely fitting.

Trump pummelled her with insistive jabs at her weight and that's just not called for. Everything he said came off very mean-spirited and somewhat inhuman.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It's hard to know for whom to root in this one. Two of the crassest people on the face of the earth.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Donald and Rosie Escalate Their Feud

Dec 21, 5:23 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Things got even uglier Thursday in the bitter war of words between Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell. The Donald called the Los Angeles-based morning show "Good Day L.A." to sound off on O'Donnell's remarks about his near-firing of Miss USA Tara Conner.

"Maybe she wanted to put the crown back on Miss USA's head," the real-estate mogul said of the openly gay O'Donnell, who has four children with her partner, Kelli. "I think she's very attracted to Miss USA so she probably wanted to put the crown on her head herself."

Insult No. 2: "She is a very, very unattractive woman who really is a bully."

Insult No. 3: "Ultimately, Rosie is a loser, and ultimately ("The View") will fail because of Rosie. ... Barbara (Walters) made a mistake and let me tell you something, Barbara's a good friend of mine. She cannot stand Rosie O'Donnell."

It all started when O'Donnell, co-host of the ABC morning talk show "The View," blasted Trump on Wednesday's show.

She said Trump's news conference with Conner, whose title was in jeopardy because of underage drinking, had annoyed her "on a multitude of levels" and that the twice-divorced Donald had no right to be a "moral compass" for the beauty queen.

"He inherited a lot of money," she said. "Wait a minute, and he's been bankrupt so many times where he didn't have to pay. ... I just think that this man is sort of like one of those, you know, snake oil salesmen in 'Little House on the Prairie.'"

Trump fired back later Wednesday in a TV interview, calling O'Donnell a "slob," among other insults. "I never went bankrupt, but she said I went bankrupt. So probably I'll sue her because it would be fun.

An amused O'Donnell talked about Trump's comments with her co-hosts on Thursday's edition of "The View."

"Wasn't that a fun night of viewing? ... Look who's here today: Kelli. I was afraid to leave her home in case somebody with a comb-over came and stole her from me," she said.

In an entry posted Wednesday night on her Web site, O'Donnell duplicated an excerpt on Trump's rocky financial history from his biography on the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, which is written by users. She wrote: "i will let you know if the donald sues me/or if kelli leaves me for one of his pals/don't u find him charming."

Walters, who created the "The View," and executive producer Bill Geddie are standing by O'Donnell - and Trump.

"Both Rosie and Donald are high-spirited, opinionated people. Donald has been a friend of 'The View' for many years and Rosie, of course, is our enormously popular moderator. We cherish them both and hope the new year brings calm and peace," they said Wednesday in a statement.

Trump, owner of the Miss Universe Organization, which includes Miss USA and Miss Teen USA, said Tuesday at a news conference that he would allow Conner to keep her title if she settled down and entered alcohol rehab.

Conner tearfully admitted drinking as a minor at New York nightclubs. She turned 21 a day before the news conference.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”