New York, New York

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Guest wrote:I'm referring to the comments you have made about films in general, Reza. Of particular note is the fact that we are in agreement about Kevin Kline's and Glenda Jackson's wins (the latter for A Touch of Class). I think we're the only two on the board who think that.

I know it's an unpopular opinion and the movie isn't that much to speak of but I've always loved Joanne Woodward's performance in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams so I would've liked this to have been her second Oscar. Besides, we all know that Tatum O'Neal was a lead in Paper Moon anyway.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
edward_jackson1978
Graduate

Post by edward_jackson1978 »

I thought that you might be really interested in reading about topics presented below.
If you think that this is inappriopiate place for such post feel free to move it!

100mg Long Tramadol: The winners! The recipes that took all the - Long 100mg Tramadol
Review Mercy Hebrew: The great old school crackup: what National - Review Hebrew Mercy
With abuse touch - A collaborative action tangent to researching - Touch Abuse With :P
Lawsuit Collection Tax: IRS says NAACP didn't disregard the law - Collection Tax Lawsuit
Math Trinity Austin - Renee Austin
Buffet machine cat - Butterfly Buffet - sources of nutrition for - Cat Buffet Machine ;)
Logo oklahoma paying - Sears bows new logo, acquires stores - Paying Oklahoma Logo
Debt Bank Collections: Korean art for the Gompertz and irrelative - Bank Collections Debt :P
Usairways blink paying - Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Paying Usairways Blink
A New Tablet off Toshiba - Video tablet list - Tablet Video List
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

I'm back. Something happened and I got kicked off this here site, but Oscarguy fixed it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

While I probably would have given the award to River Phoenix, I am a supporter of Kevin Kline's Oscar. A fine actor in top form, in one of my favorite film comedies of the eighties. Haven't seen Jackson.

Tripp

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1143001226
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

I'm referring to the comments you have made about films in general, Reza. Of particular noteis the fact that we are in agreement about Kevin Kline's and Glenda Jackson's wins (the latter for A Touch of Class). I think we're the only two on the board who think that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Movielover wrote:Yes, but it isn't allowing me to modify my profile without the ICQ number. And I don't know how to get it.
Send Oscar Guy an e-mail and ask him to fix it for you.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Movielover wrote:I feel like only one other person on the board has my same taste - Reza -
Don't know what to say because my taste in films is pretty ordinary and by-the-book. Are you going by the best of lists I've been jotting down? The last few years I've really been bogged down with work and am always too tired to watch a film. Don't want to think as I find that to be too much like work. So my tastes lately have been for films which are easy on the eyes, ears and mind. Give me Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce anytime over a film by Godard. Ofcourse I try and get everything I can lay my hands on - films by famous foreign directors etc - films that are ''difficult''. Hope to see them all someday. I, on the other hand, like many of the choices made by so many of you guys on this Board. Films that are not ''safe'' choices.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

Yes, but it isn't allowing me to modify my profile without the ICQ number. And I don't know how to get it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Movielover, click on Your Control Panel at the top of the page, then click on Personal Information, then click on Personal Inforamtion and change whatever you want. You don't have to provide an ICQ number if you don't want to. You're not required to fill in anything you don't want to.

While we're on the subject, I wish more people would fill in their birthday information. I took mine out because it was embarassing having peopel wish me happy birthday every year when I didn't know their birthdays.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

P.S. - I was looking at my profile and it says I am a FEMALE. I can't believe I checked that off in 2003, but whatever. How do I change it? It asks for my ICQ number or something like that and I don't know how to get mine? Help!
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

I wouldn't see Doubt without Cherry Jones and Brian O'Byrne if you gave me free tickets. I didn't like The Light in the Piazza - there were a few problems I had with the story. And while Spamalot was very funny and brilliantly directed, I would want to see something newer and fresher.

I have a suspicion that Awake and Sing! is going to be the revival to see. Ben Gazzara, Mark Ruffalo, Lauren Ambrose, and Zoe Wanamaker (flown in from London) will star. It is directed by Bartlett Sher who directed Light in the Piazza and a production of Cymbeline that got rave reviews. If Faith Healer does well, and you have never seen Cherry Jones live, then you should probably go see that.

Unfortuantely, a lot of the theaters are taken up and fewer exciting shows are being released than last year. Seems to me like The History Boys, The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Tarzan, The Pajama Game, and Jersey Boys are other must-sees. Avoid seeing "tired" shows (shows that have been around for years - the cast isn't as energetic as when the show is closer to its opening date). Festen may or may not be good (I actually suspect it will only be okay.)
The Threepenny Opera will open but I know someone in it and he says it doesn't look like it is going to be a good show.

And Sweeney Todd was WONDERFUL. But it is very demanding of the audience. The audience has to suspend all belief of the ordinary and believe that the characters are talking to one another while they are playing instruments. If you are a skilled theatregoer (I know I'm being a snob) then go to this one, but if you think The First Wives Club and Adventures in Babysitting are good movies, you'll hate Sweeney.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Movielover, do you or any other New Yorkers on the board have any theater recommendations? I'll be visiting NY soon, and while I still have my sights on catching last season hold-overs like Doubt, The Light in the Piazza, and Spamalot, I'd definitely be interested to hear if there's anything (particularly the newer shows) that you all would recommend.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

My first time being personal on this board and I want to say you have all been a pleasure to talk to. I don't post as often as I'd like, but I read all your posts and you're a terrific group of people. I feel like only one other person on the board has my same taste - Reza - but it's interesting to read your posts nonetheless.

Anyway, I am a native New Yorker. Lived here all my life except for 3.5 months when I gave LA a shot but I was miserable, so I moved back. I didn't realize how much I loved New York until I moved back. The first image I saw in the city was a billboard outside the Puck Building - an advertisement for Jack Daniel's that said "New Yorkers don't care about labels; neither do we."

Anyway, Friday night I went to see an Italian film at the Sunshine called Don't Tell. The film wasn't all that hot, but something happened afterwards that I can't stop thinking about. I saw two women holding up a sign that said "MEETUP." I asked what it was and someone volunteered that there is a Yahoo group for independent film lovers in New York and they pick a film and go out every so often (I actually think it happens as often as once a week, but maybe once every other week or once a week). And there was a healthy turnout!

I turned to my friend who I was seeing the movie with and said "Only in New York, kids, only in New York!" I don't know if groups like that exist elsewhere - I imagine if they do, they exist in main cities because of the variety of the films shown. Either way, I was excited that there were about 20 people going out to discuss a film that just opened. All of them seemed warm and interesting. I didn't join them because I promised my bed I would get back to it as soon as possible, but even walking around afterwards outside excited me. It was Friday night. Everyone was looking forward to spending two days off doing things they want to do. Maybe going for a stroll in Central Park, or off to a museum, or cuddling with a loved one.

Every day in New York invigorates me.

And I wanted to share that with all of you people who I wouldn't know if I fell over you. If you don't live here, come and visit.

Only in New York, kids, only in New York.

Return to “General Off-Topic”