Inchon

1895-1999
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Reza wrote:Why isn't this available on dvd?
According to stuff I've read online, Moon's church still owns the copyright on the film; there are pirate copies floating around, apparently the full-length 140 min version (which includes Rex Reed and David Janssen), that were recorded off the Good Life cable channel (which, surprise, is owned by the Unification Church).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I recall seeing this on video soon after it came out. However, I can only remember Olivier and how his make-up made him look like a waxwork figure. Also vaguely remember Jacqueline Bisset and James Franciscus.

Why isn't this available on dvd?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I have always wanted to see this myself.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One of my mentors was a man who worked for Citibank from the time he was a teenager until he retired at the age of 62, heartbroken over the defection of his only son to the Moonies. He died within 3 months of his retirement in the mid 70s. Needless to say I would have nothing to do with anything produced by the Moonies in 1982. Now, I wish I had seen it out of curiosity - produced by the Moonies, written by the author of The Happy Hooker, with Laurence Olivier, of all people, as MacArthur and Rex Reed in a supporting role cut from the release print. He's in the long cut DVD version according to someone from Virginia who's actually seen it on DVD and posted a review on the imdb. - maybe it's available through the Moonies.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm currently reading a book about the U.S. during the Cold War, and am at the point of the Korean War, when I was reminded of the 1982 film Inchon, a notorious bomb funded by Sun Myong Moon's Unification Church, starring Laurence Olivier as MacArthur, Ben Gazzara, Jacqueline Bisset and Richard Roundtree. I remember the ads on TV back in 1982, and reviews declaring it one of the worst movies ever made (it swept the Razzies that year)--I'd love to see it, just for the reportedly camp aspects of the thing, but it's never been released on VHS or DVD. Curious to know if anyone here has ever seen it?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The First Century”