First ads of the season

1998 through 2007
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I'm bored and have nothing to do, so here it goes...

:D
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

cam wrote:what happens to For Your Consideration, and Catherine O'Hara's chances?
I think For Your Consideration has the potential to go over big, with nominations for O'Hara and the screenplay. O'Hara's performance could do well in the critics awards, and it's about time Christopher Guest was recognised by the Academy. The subject matter should at least make them take notice.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Little Miss Sunshine has 2 directors (I recalled this, but did have to look up the names on IMDb: Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris); I think this factor will also push the film out of Best Director consideration.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:There are FYI ads for Little Miss Sunshine on the Variety web site. I think it's a strong possibility for Best Picture, Director, Screenplay -- a small movie that does this well with audiences is always an Oscar threat.
I would hope that in a year with movies by real filmmakers like Almodóvar, Condon, Cuarón, Eastwood, Field, Gonzalez Iñárritu, Minghella, Scorsese, Soderbergh (and all those who won't get near the Oscar podium), that at least the director's branch would spare us a nod for the "direction" of Little Miss Sunshine by . . . hmm, can't even think of who directed that film without checking IMDB.

And if the film were to, as Penelope suggests, steal the Original Screenplay prize, my stomach will churn even more than it did with this category last year. I quite honestly think this would be one of the WORST winners in this category ever. And one of the worst nominees in recent years, and yes, I see that Crash, Gladiator, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding are up there.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

There are FYI ads for Little Miss Sunshine on the Variety web site. I think it's a strong possibility for Best Picture, Director, Screenplay -- a small movie that does this well with audiences is always an Oscar threat.

Well, if that's the case, Damien : what happens to For Your Consideration, and Catherine O'Hara's chances?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I would like to see Dakota Fanning's face if/when Abigail Breslin is announced as a nominee for Little Miss Sunshine and she was snubbed for that rape movie she's doing.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Aside from the fact that I just don't think Breslin is the film's main character (yes, it's an ensemble piece, but, even then, I'd argue that Greg Kinnear's and Steve Carrell's characters have the primary focus and character arcs), there is, as kaytodd points out, the tradition of nominating juvenile lead perfs in the Supporting category, a la O'Neal and Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense. Of course, there is Keisha Castle Hughes from Whale Rider, but that was a) unquestionably and no way around it a lead role and b) a very weak year for Lead Actresses. This year's Lead Actress race is already quite crowded, whereas the Supporting race is still rather formless. Her best shot is Supporting.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't think Breslin is a supporting player in LMS. She is the film's central character.

True, but Tatum O'Neal was the central character in Paper Moon and Patty McCormack was the central character in The Bad Seed. Seems like an unwritten rule with the Academy that juveniles who give Oscar worthy performances must be nominated in the supporting category.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Back to Bond - I doubt Sony means the ad to be part of a serious Oscar campaign. I think it's just a part of the regular ad campaign intended to get people interested. It's already gotten tons of pre-release hype, so why not one little FYC ad?

My mother, who despises Bond films, wants to see this.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ah, but it's all about positioning, isn't it?

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think Breslin is a supporting player in LMS. She is the film's central character.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm currently predicting 3 nods for Little Miss Sunshine--Picture, Original Screenplay (where, really, I think it's the front-runner to win, right now), and Supporting Actress (Abigail Breslin)--with 2 more nods as a possibility--Supporting Actor (Arkin) and Director.

rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

As well as being a threat in those categories - and I could easily see a screenplay win - I think Alan Arkin could be a major threat for a sentimental supporting actor win.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

There are FYI ads for Little Miss Sunshine on the Variety web site. I think it's a strong possibility for Best Picture, Director, Screenplay -- a small movie that does this well with audiences is always an Oscar threat.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It all depends on how good the film is (not really but that's what they're thinking)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”