Istanbul in the movies

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I haven't made it to the Pera Palas Hotel, yet, but I simply must share the wonderful day I had today:

I had made an acquaintance over the internet--Erdem, who is a 2nd Assistant Director in the Turkish film industry (currently working on a Turkish version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch!), and he kindly took his only day off to show me around his city (I'd had dinner with him my first night here, in Taksim). We started off at the Galata Tower, then made our way to the elaborate Dolmabace Palace, then to Ortakay, where we jumped on a boat tour of the Bosphorus (the sun gleaming, dazzling the waters), then back to Taksim, where we decided to take in a move (The Illusionist, which was so-so, the highlight was discovering that Turkish cinemas stop the movie halfway through so the audience can run out to the lobby for a cigarette!), then dinner at a wonderful traditional Turk restaurant. An unforgettable day!!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Yes what a lovely city! It has to be seen to know what Penelope and Italiano talk about.

Penelope I hope you visited the Pera Palas Hotel, very near Taksim Square? It is also known as the Orient Express Hotel which once catered to the travellers on the famed Orient Express and where Agatha Christie wrote her famous novel. It is also where Garbo stayed (the room has a plaque on the door with her name). Other famous people who stayed there were Mata Hari, Sarah Bernhardt, Jackie Onassis and Josephine Baker. And Kemal Ataturk's room is now a mini museum with his personal belongings on display.

Another famous film set in Istanbul (but mainly Ankara) was Joseph L. Mankiewicz's classic Five Fingers (1952). Although back projection was mainly on display.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

And here's what the Four Lads had to say on the subject:

"ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE)"
-Artists: The Four Lads
-peak Billboard position # 10 in 1953
-Words by Jimmy Kennedy and Music by Nat Simon

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople
Been a long time gone
Old Constantinople's still has Turkish delight
On a moonlight night

Evr'y gal in Constantinople
Is a Miss-stanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)

Take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'

Istanbul!!

Istanbul!!

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)

Take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'

'stanbul!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I agree with you, Penelope. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen - and I have been to many, many places. I was in Istanbul - just a short visit, on my way back to Italy from Damascus - less than two weeks ago, my fifth time there. It's not only the views, the palaces, the mosques (all unique in their own ways) but, I'd say, the "spirit" of the place, its soul, which makes it so wonderful. Oh, and the food is great, by the way.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I completely forgot about Hamam--which reminds me that I should step into one soon....

According to info I've read, The World Is Not Enough utilized only second unit shots of Istanbul--all of Pierce Brosnan's stuff was done back at Pinewood Studios against a green screen.

Isn't there a Jackie Chan movie set in Istanbul?

Just to make you jealous: the restaurant of my hotel is on the top floor, with the Blue Mosque to the left, and the Bosphorus pouring into the Sea of Marmara at the center--tonight, the 3/4 moon dazzled across the water as hundreds of ships gently rolled at anchor.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:Have I forgotten some?
No, I don't imagine the Turks would think very highly of Midnight Express. What about the more recent Bond film, The World Is Not Enough?

Istanbul (1957) with Errol Flynn, Cornell Borchers and Nat King Cole is known for its gorgeous cinematography. A remake of 1947's Singapore, its location was chosen to captialize on the popularity of the song, Istanbul, not Constantinople.

Journey into Fear (1942) and Mask of Dimitrious (1944) are studio made films set in Instanbul.

The Italian film, Hamam, known as Steam: The Turkish Bath (1997) was filmed almost entirely in Istanbul. It represents the Turkish culture better than any other film I remember.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Haven't been there, but reading Orhan Pamuk's book about it makes it sound absolutely ravishing. Can't wait to visit it myself one day.

If Nuri Blige Ceylan and Orhan Pamuk collaborate on a film, I might die of rapture.

Keep us posted!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm now in Istanbul, and I daresay it is quite possibly the most beautiful city I've ever been to. Whether standing, jaw-dropped, under the dome of the Ayasofya, or wandering silently among the faithful at the Blue Mosque, or exploring the otherworldly maze of the cisterns, or marveling at the beauty of Topkapi Palace, or staggered by the view of the Bosphorus, or merely getting lost amidst the crowds of Taksim Square, there's nothing like it you've ever seen.

Being of a cinematic mind, I flash upon the few movies I've seen that are set (if only briefly) in this city. And yet it begs of the widescreen splendor that has been given to New York or Paris or Rome. The finest visual representation that I can think of is Topkapi, which features wonderful views of the city as Peter Ustinov, Melina Mercouri, etc., scramble over the roof of the Palace in their scheme to steal the famous bejeweled dagger. Sean Connery rows across the cisterns in From Russia With Love. There's a brief moment at the beginning of Murder on the Orient Express, though I wish I had Lauren Bacall's glamorous ability to wave away the rug merchants. Don't remember much of Midnight Express (which, according to the guidebooks, is not a popular film here). The recent Head On featured a traditional Turkish group performing on the Bosphorus overlooking the city.

Have I forgotten some? I bet there are some Turkish films I'm not aware of that really do the city justice. If not, somebody really needs to get work on bringing this spectacular city to the screen in all it's CinemaScope grandeur. If you've been to Istanbul, you know what I'm talking about; if you've never been, make sure you see it someday.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”