Worst Oscar Decisions

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Better, but still difficult, although I can certainly come up with five atrocious "best song" winners.

How about making "no opinion" an acceptable response in those categories where we truly have no opinion?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. For

PICTURE
ACTOR
ACTRESS
SUPPORTING ACTOR
SUPPORTING ACTRESS
DIRECTOR
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

you must choose 5. In all other categories you must pick at least one but may list up to 5. How does that sound?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have to agree with Magilla; I started on this and made to the writing categories with no problems, but when I tried Original Score, I was like, whoa.... How about just the top 8 categories--Picture, Director, the Writing and Acting categories?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is quite an ambitious project. Have there really been that many egregious picks in the technical categories that people feel strongly about?

Some of these categroies - music, writing in particular - have had category changes over the years. Makeup is a relatively new award. The complaints in the foreign language and documentary categories are more often about films that were ignored in the nomination process as opposed to what actually won among the choices.

Sure, we can find examples of a win outside of the top six categories here and there to grouse about, but to cite five in each of these categories is an arduous task, don't you think?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Because I'm now curious what the board thinks are the WORST decisions the Academy has made. I want to make this a formal poll with "winners/losers".

SEND RESPONSES to me by PM or to [email]oscarguy@oscarguy.com.[/email]

What'll you'll do is rank the worst choices in each of the categories below (such as X shouldn't have won the award over Y). Put them in order of preference of Most Egregious to Least. 5 choices per category.

BEST PICTURE
BEST ACTOR
BEST ACTRESS
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
BEST EDITING
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST ART DIRECTION
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST MAKEUP
BEST SOUND
BEST SOUND EFFECTS
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
BEST FOREIGN FILM
BEST DOCUMENTARY

Suggestions are being taken on how long to accept ballots.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”