Thread for BABY REINDEER

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Okri
Tenured

Re: Thread for BABY REINDEER

Post by Okri »

Just finished it.
Over the past decade or so, there have been some fantastic comedy routines-slash-performance art pieces that navigate meaty material. I’m thinking things like Hannah Gadbsy’s Nanette or Jon Robins The Darkness at Robins – which, incidentally, tied for best comedy show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival – where moments of storytelling just take my breath away. Reading about the two shows this is based on (I presume – Baby Reindeer gets the specific citation, but from what I can discern, episode four is basically Monkey See Monkey Do – which also won best comedy show at the fringe) is fascinating. He tells that story while running on a treadmill?!?
”Sabin” wrote: There's nothing wrong with it per se but for a series that basically operated as a thriller for the bulk of its run, I found its gear shift moving but unsatisfying.
Flipp’s right to refer to the show as harrowing. One particular thing that made it so harrowing for me is the feeling that Gadd is working through his trauma but that this story exists in the early part of that process. Now, the stage performance this is based on isn’t new – it won an Olivier award in 2020 - but Gadd makes his pain and shame feel so raw, so voluble that it’s really gripping. But what makes the finale work for me is that while the pain he feels feels very fresh, its also feels like a radical act of empathy in a way. He doesn’t avoid incorporating Martha’s pain which is such an audacious choice for the story he’s telling. I don’t mind the lack of closure in the ending.
We live in times that are very confusing but yet very confessional. Everyone wants to tell you their absolute truth but nobody knows if anything can be believed. Baby Reindeer isn't about that sensation but it captures it in a bottle.
Astute point. That episode six monologue is so remarkable because we (as the audience) know it’s real but at what point does the screen audience know? It’s a really terrific piece of writing and acting (when Gadd says “I love it” in reference to his self loathing it’s just a gut punch)
flipp525 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 pm Jessica Gunning must be seen as a solid frontrunner for Supporting Actress in a Limited Series/TV Movie/Anthology at this point (again, agree with Sabin here). She was almost Kathy Bates-in-Misery-esque at times. A scary, yet oddly tender at times, performance.

Okri, I think the “ethically fractious” element of the series is actually attracting more viewers than it might normally have gotten.
She’s so remarkable. It’s quite a range-y performance – I wasn’t expecting to be quite as moved as I was by her court scene. While it’s baity, I also think that it’s a very difficult role.

As for my comment about it’s content being ethically challenging, I have to admit that it didn’t bug me as much as I thought it would. Honestly, I think the internet should probably stop sleuthing around to find out who exactly the producer is (one man has already been accused by internet denizens and both he and Gadd had to deny it), but I do wonder if Gadd thought people wouldn’t.

Anyway, it’s a remarkable piece of work
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sabin wrote
Well, this is going to be interesting.

https://twitter.com/briticoyemo/status/ ... dY0oA&s=01
And it wasn't.

I just finished Baby Reindeer. I'll damn it with faint criticism. I wasn't a fan of the final episode, which is half therapeutic and half open-ended-cycle of abuse. There's nothing wrong with it per se but for a series that basically operated as a thriller for the bulk of its run, I found its gear shift moving but unsatisfying. I found the final beat which mirrors the catalyst especially unconvincing. I have no doubt that it's going to win a slew of awards coming up and I'm a little dreading how every acceptance speech is going to be rooted around encouraging people to get help because in my opinion what's great about Baby Reindeer is how it feels like an empathetic thriller for our world.

Still, overall its excellent.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, this is going to be interesting.

https://twitter.com/briticoyemo/status/ ... dY0oA&s=01
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Thread for BABY REINDEER

Post by Okri »

Just putting this here as a placeholder because I think it's going to merit a lot of discussion.

Return to “Broadcast Media”