I'm always here for the Trivia

For the films of 2023
danfrank
Assistant

Re: I'm always here for the Trivia

Post by danfrank »

Greg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:13 pm
Big Magilla wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:20 pm Youn Yuh-jung is one of ten performers to date to win an Oscar playing a character that spoke partially or primarily in a language other than English. The others are Sophia Loren, Robert De Niro, Roberto Benigni, Benicio Del Toro, Penélope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Christoph Waltz, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan.
You could question if Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin, Holly Hunter, and Troy Kotsur won Oscars for "using" a language other than English.
ASL and other forms of sign are absolutely another language. Holly Hunter did not use an established sign language in The Piano, but rather a private one made up to communicate with her daughter. Marlee Matlin used both ASL and vocal English in Children of a Lesser God. To add to the list, Patty Duke was beginning to use sign language in The Miracle Worker, and Anne Bancroft used both vocal English and sign language in the same film.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:20 pm Youn Yuh-jung is one of ten performers to date to win an Oscar playing a character that spoke partially or primarily in a language other than English. The others are Sophia Loren, Robert De Niro, Roberto Benigni, Benicio Del Toro, Penélope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Christoph Waltz, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan.
You could question if Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin, Holly Hunter, and Troy Kotsur won Oscars for "using" a language other than English.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The entire film was not in a foreign language.

The main characters spoke Korean at home, English when speaking to anyone outside the family. I don't know the percentage of English to Korean, but the Golden Globes caught hell for refusing to consider the film for Best Picture - Drama, allowing consideration only for Best Foreign Language Film, because English comprised less than 51% of the spoken language. The antiquated rule has since been rescinded.

Youn Yuh-jung is one of ten performers to date to win an Oscar playing a character that spoke partially or primarily in a language other than English. The others are Sophia Loren, Robert De Niro, Roberto Benigni, Benicio Del Toro, Penélope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Christoph Waltz, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm I would put Yuh-jung Youn alongside Robert DeNiro or Benicio Del Toro, in that it is a foreign language performance in an American film.
Except they're both foreign-language performances/elements within an otherwise English-speaking film. Unless my memory of Minari is warped -- and, with age/pandemic, I guess I can't rule that out -- the entire film was in a foreign-language. I'd say that makes it a foreign-language film (which is what, till just a few years back, we called such films). The money being put up by Americans doesn't change that, for me.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I would put Yuh-jung Youn alongside Robert DeNiro or Benicio Del Toro, in that it is a foreign language performance in an American film.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Shinebox Boy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:17 pm
Mister Tee wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 pm
HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Second consecutive year that the Best International Film wins sound. Too soon to talk about any trend but it is striking.
I think you're confusing this with BAFTA. The sound Oscar last year went to Top Gun: Maverick (shudder memory), not All Quiet.

This is, in fact, the first year the Sound Oscar has ever gone to an international film. Coupled with the Godzilla breakthrough in visual effects, it (by my reckoning) reduces to just two the number of Oscar categories not yet won by an International Film: supporting actor and adapted screenplay. The latter category has had many International films nominated (including the past several years), but, to my knowledge, no supporting actor from an International film has ever received so much as a nomination.
In regards to supporting actress, are you counting Minari?
Yes.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:44 pm
Mister Tee wrote
Not a revolution, but I'd say progress.
What's closer to a revolution is the number of women nominated for Best Director. This decade alone (if we start in 2020), we've seen almost as many nominated (4) than in all of Academy history combined (5). Not to mention twice as many winners and three of this decade's four years has seen nominees.
Interesting side note here: Greta Gerwig is the only female Best Director nominee who remains Oscarless. (Although Lina Wertmuller never won a competitive award.)
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Sabin wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:44 pm
Mister Tee wrote
What's closer to a revolution is the number of women nominated for Best Director. This decade alone (if we start in 2020), we've seen almost as many nominated (4) than in all of Academy history combined (5). Not to mention twice as many winners and three of this decade's four years has seen nominees.
Also since 2020, a total of 8 films nominated for Best Picture have been directed by women, an average of two per year. This is definitely a positive shift, though still a far ways from what I would call a tipping point.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
"How's the despair?"
Shinebox Boy
Graduate

Post by Shinebox Boy »

Mister Tee wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 pm
HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Second consecutive year that the Best International Film wins sound. Too soon to talk about any trend but it is striking.
I think you're confusing this with BAFTA. The sound Oscar last year went to Top Gun: Maverick (shudder memory), not All Quiet.

This is, in fact, the first year the Sound Oscar has ever gone to an international film. Coupled with the Godzilla breakthrough in visual effects, it (by my reckoning) reduces to just two the number of Oscar categories not yet won by an International Film: supporting actor and adapted screenplay. The latter category has had many International films nominated (including the past several years), but, to my knowledge, no supporting actor from an International film has ever received so much as a nomination.
In regards to supporting actress, are you counting Minari?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not sure it counts, but has any acting winner ever had as many former co-stars as Emma Stone had presenting the night they won?

In addition to the obvious Ryan Gosling from Crazy, Stupid, Love and La La Land and Ramy Youssef from Poor Things, there were Michael Keaton from Birdman, Sally Field from The Amazing Spider-Man, and both Octavia Spencer and Mary Steenburgen from The Help.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Many people noted that the '00s were the first decade since the 60s without a single female winning for screenplay. So, it might be worth pointing out that we've now had such a winner every single year this decade so far: Emerald Fennell in 2020, Sian Heder in 2021, Sarah Polley last year, and Justine Triet the other night.

Triet also became the fourth woman nominated for directing this decade (Fennell, Zhao and Campion preceded her), which comes close to doubling the previous lifetime total. And all this without Greta Gerwig figuring in either total.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:42 pm
Big Magilla wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:27 pm There's a lot of information out there about adjusting for inflation, but has anyone done a study on adjusting for percentage of population?
That would be tricky for movies such as Gone With The Wind which have had multiple re-releases over the years.
They should just count box office attendance as well as receipts for the initial release.

Disney films make more money over time because they're in perpetual release, in the old days theatrically, and later on home video where they were released for a short while and then withdrawn for seven years. They're likely to follow a similar pattern for streaming.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:27 pm There's a lot of information out there about adjusting for inflation, but has anyone done a study on adjusting for percentage of population?
That would be tricky for movies such as Gone With The Wind which have had multiple re-releases over the years.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There's a lot of information out there about adjusting for inflation, but has anyone done a study on adjusting for percentage of population?

Return to “96th Academy Awards”