Categories One-by-One: Animated Feature

For the films of 2023
danfrank
Assistant

Re: Categories One-by-One: Animated Feature

Post by danfrank »

in solidarity with Damien, I’ve seen none of these Goddamn cartoons. May the best one win.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Three films need not apply. That said, Nimona had pleasantly spiky energy and nice character design [and led the Annie Awards nominations]. The soundscape to Elemental was pleasingly serene and provides a lovely background to doing the dishes (or typing Oscar predictions). Robot Dreams is nicely absurd (the Oz-set sequence had me chortling) and deftly moving by the end. But none are in this race.

But honestly, flip a coin. Both Spider-Verse and Boy and the Heron have similar strengths and weaknesses. For imagery and sound, they both function at the same (very high) level. They have storytelling weaknesses (for Spider-Verse, it's the ending, my relative indifference to 'the canon" and a sneaking suspicion that I don't care for Miles Morales; for the latter, it's that it doesn't have the heft you'd expect, given its setting and story). No one will complain if Miyazaki wins a second Oscar and Spider-Verse has another shot coming up.
Mister Tee wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 am Elemental is the weakest of the group -- which isn't to say it's horrible; just that the Pixar formula is starting to really stick out. (I found myself wondering what life subdivision would be their next project: the major food groups?) The characters were likable enough to carry things along, but it's very much a missable effort.
Heh. "Not as good as Zootopia" went through my head a few times, not gonna lie
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
NEON apparently decided no one outside of Academy members needed to see Robot Dreams prior to the Oscars; the official release date is May 31st (though it did have a solitary screening in NY and elsewhere, tonight). I managed to see it (don't ask how)
::raises hand to ask how::

::slowly lowers hand::

Mister Tee wrote
I also find Nimona quite worthy -- it's got quick pacing, snappy dialogue, and unexpected plot twists. It's a bit bogged down by self-actualization sloganeering -- more "you go, girl"-isms than I'd prefer -- but, overall, a nice piece of work.
I don't think I wrote about Nimona. I found it enjoyable. It digs up a lot of story and empathy as it goes along, and its medieval-modern world is a good time. I wasn't blown away by it (and I definitely prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem) but it's a good story.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Elemental is the weakest of the group -- which isn't to say it's horrible; just that the Pixar formula is starting to really stick out. (I found myself wondering what life subdivision would be their next project: the major food groups?) The characters were likable enough to carry things along, but it's very much a missable effort.

NEON apparently decided no one outside of Academy members needed to see Robot Dreams prior to the Oscars; the official release date is May 31st (though it did have a solitary screening in NY and elsewhere, tonight). I managed to see it (don't ask how), and found it quite inventive, charming, and, in the end, quite moving. It's an especial treat for long-time New Yorkers, as it gives us glimpses of a bygone city (tokens required on the subway) as well as visual quotes from NY-set films (Kramer vs. Kramer, Manhattan). If true upsets were possible in this day and age, Robot Dreams would be the sort of movie that could pull one off...but I rather suspect NEON's somewhat baffling release strategy dooms it from the start.

I also find Nimona quite worthy -- it's got quick pacing, snappy dialogue, and unexpected plot twists. It's a bit bogged down by self-actualization sloganeering -- more "you go, girl"-isms than I'd prefer -- but, overall, a nice piece of work.

I covered both Spider Man and Boy and the Heron in the review thread, and apparently also registered as whiner with the latter. Believe me, I WANTED to love the film -- a late-career salute to Miyazaki, especially stood alongside part one of a sequel (however strong), would on paper be my preferred Oscar outcome. But I can only honestly report out my own reactions: I found Boy and the Heron too murky, especially in its last reel, to truly satisfy me, where Spider Man -- except for the infuriatingly unexpected "come back for part two" ending -- exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

I might vote for Robot Dreams if I had a ballot, but in the real Academy world, it seems to be a horse-race between the two big efforts. My instinct is Hollywood will go for Hollywood in the end, but it should be pretty close.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse was the standout for me and the one that would get my vote if I had one. I'm one of those who thinks The Boy and the Heron is lesser Miyaki, though I don't think that I've really whined about it. It was okay and maybe I'll like it more when I watch it again, this time with the English dub. I could still see it winning, though.

I liked the other three nominees about equally and think they are all solid and entertaining films, but I don't really see them taking home the prize either.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Animated Feature

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Everyone who has seen Robot Dreams loves it and is utterly charmed by it (including yours truly) but I don't think there's enough of them that will vote for it. Nimona and Elemental have their respective fans but both are in the "happy to be nominated" positions.

It all comes down to Spider-Man vs. Miyazaki. The Boy and The Heron won the Globe and the BAFTA. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won the PGA, Critics Choice and swept the Annies. Stats show that when Globe and BAFTA, agree the film always wins. Plus Miyazaki is highly respected amongst animators and animation fans. Despite already winning an Oscar and having an Honorary, winning another one doesn't seem excessive with him. It's also an unexpected box-office hit.

However, there are people who whine that it isn't Miyazaki's best. Yes, it's a box-office hit but its nothing compared to the popularity of Spider-Man which also got critical plaudits. The main point against Spider-Man is that no sequel that's not Toy Story has ever won plus it's a second part of a planned trilogy. They may want to wait until the conclusion or believe that awarding the first one was enough.

I'm leaning towards Spider-Man but it's a toss-up.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”