I'm always here for the Trivia

For the films of 2023
Okri
Tenured

Re: I'm always here for the Trivia

Post by Okri »

I don't believe Scorsese was a producer of Taxi Driver and AMPAS staggeringly overlooked him in 1976.
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Big Magilla wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 pm Sounds right, but who would have predicted, back in 1976, that Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster would one day be the oldest acting nominees in their respective categories?
And Scorsese! All in the same year.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Oldest Nominee in any competitive category: John Williams (breaking his own record), age 91

Oldest Nominee for Best Director: Martin Scorsese, age 81

Most Actors nominated for playing LGBT+ characters: 7 (Cooper, Domingo, Bening, Müller, Stone, Brown, Foster)

First Native American nominated for Best Actress: Gladstone

Most Best Picture nominees directed by women: 3

Most Best Song Nominations: Diane Warren (15)

Most time between nominations for an actor in the same category: Jodie Foster, Supporting Actress (47 years between Taxi Driver and Nyad)

First time (male) Black actors in the same film have been nominated in the lead and supporting category: Jeffrey Wright and Sterling Brown in American Fiction

Most Film Editing Nominations: 9 (Thelma)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

From NY Times:
Six couples were nominated today--
Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach
Justine Triet and Arthur Harari
Samy Burch and Alex Mechanik
Jerusha Hess and Jared Hess
Margot Robbie and Tom Ackerley
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Sabin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:09 pm Just realized something: this is Christine Vachon's first Oscar nomination as the producer of Past Lives. Kind of crazy it took this long.
That’s because she’s been attached to indie films that have heretofore not been Academy-friendly in their queerness and/or oddness, e.g., the films of the Todds, Haynes and Solondz. It’s great to see her nominated.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just realized something: this is Christine Vachon's first Oscar nomination as the producer of Past Lives. Kind of crazy it took this long.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sounds right, but who would have predicted, back in 1976, that Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster would one day be the oldest acting nominees in their respective categories?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I had to check it, but my intuition was (kind of) right.

For only the third time, none of the nominated actors is under 30.

The previous two times it happened? 1931-32 and 1933-34 (although back then Claudette Colbert was officially 29, not 31). Not once since they had four categories has this happened.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Greg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 am
Uri wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am Sorry, so ashamed of myself. Of course The Great Kate still holds the most prestigious record of them all - will her four acting Oscars (all in lead) will ever be equaled, let alone surpassed?
Well, Frances McDormand and Daniel Day-Lewis only have one more lead acting award to go.
And of course Meryl Streep seems likely to gather a fourth statute at some point, though whether she gets two more Actress awards seems unlikely.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Uri wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am Sorry, so ashamed of myself. Of course The Great Kate still holds the most prestigious record of them all - will her four acting Oscars (all in lead) will ever be equaled, let alone surpassed?
Well, Frances McDormand and Daniel Day-Lewis only have one more lead acting award to go.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Uri wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:45 am After 42 years, Katharine Hepburn is finally off the records books. Not only De Niro's 49 years span between his first and last nominations knocks off Hepburn's 48, him being nominated along Foster, 47 years after they were both up for Taxi Driver, breaks Hepburn's and Henry Fonda's 41 years span.
Sorry, so ashamed of myself. Of course The Great Kate still holds the most prestigious record of them all - will her four acting Oscars (all in lead) will ever be equaled, let alone surpassed?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Not true trivia, but two members of Tee's game (near misses and discussed performers) got nominated this year, Blunt (2006) and Wright (2021).
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Only 13 movies nominated under acting+picture. One of the lowest ever after the expansion of the best picture category.
Last edited by mlrg on Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uri
Adjunct

I'm always here for the Trivia

Post by Uri »

After 42 years, Katharine Hepburn is finally off the records books. Not only De Niro's 49 years span between his first and last nominations knocks off Hepburn's 48, him being nominated along Foster, 47 years after they were both up for Taxi Driver, breaks Hepburn's and Henry Fonda's 41 years span.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”