National Board of Review Winners

For the films of 2023
Okri
Tenured

Re: National Board of Review Winners

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:03 pm Oh, and: just when we all came around to the idea NBR had a best film plus 10 more, they cut it back to winner + 9.
Which they didn't do for International or Documentary, just to be confusing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sabin wrote
Despite his Breakthrough Performer Award in 2003 (what?), Paul Giamatti has never won an award for Best Actor. The awards season is pretty young but if there's been one loser thus far it's been Giamatti. You'd think he'd be a sure shot to show up at the Gothams or the Spirits Awards (he's won both) but his very showy role has been a no-show thus far. I feel like this group might go for it.
I don't expect to get many W's this season so I'm going to put this here.

Mister Tee wrote
I've only seen half the top ten list, but, based on my response to those, plus critical reaction to the remainder, I'm confirmed in my feeling this is easily the best Oscar vintage since 2019.
Definitely.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Just to keep in mind: the NBR best picture winner has gone on to win the BP Oscar only 3 times out of the past 22 years, pretty abysmal in terms of predictability. Remember when they chose “Quills” for best picture? The best actor and actress winners have fared about twice as well, but still matching less than a third of the time.

It’s still better for contenders to be cited by NBR than not, but reading too much into them can lead one far astray.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

NY/NBR hasn't been a lucky combo of late -- The Irishman and Zero Dark Thirty couldn't carry it to the Oscars; I think No Country for Old Men was the last time it worked. But solid day for Scorsese's film -- its leading lady is for sure running out to a significant lead.

Very NBR choices in lead acting categories -- not a Janelle Monae nor Rachel Zegler curveball in sight. This is the acknowledgement Giamatti wanted, and the boost Ruffalo needed. Weirdly: I think most view Downey Jr. as the prime supporting actor candidate, but he might go through the prime critics' groups without a win -- this seemed his most likely spot, and, keep in mind, LA has the no-gender/all-together system in placed.

Randolph is now close to running unopposed. If NBR (which long ago was the only group wiling to vote the first Color Purple) didn't go for Brooks, her chances may be way overstated by people trying to validate a year-out prediction.

Given this seemed a prime spot for Oppenheimer, being held to a top ten placement is small beer. I'm certainly not downgrading its chances with AMPAS; just noting a bit of softness to its campaign.

Past Lives makes the list as "we know, you're largely in Korean, but we love you just as if you were in English". Where Anatomy of a Fall is ghetto-ized in foreign. Song's film, despite not winning a top prize as yet, is doing most of the things it needs to grab a best picture nomination.

The Boy and the Heron gets similarly boosted from the animation lane.

I've only seen half the top ten list, but, based on my response to those, plus critical reaction to the remainder, I'm confirmed in my feeling this is easily the best Oscar vintage since 2019.

Oh, and: just when we all came around to the idea NBR had a best film plus 10 more, they cut it back to winner + 9.

All of Us Strangers was put at the kiddie table (Indie). American Fiction didn't even get that crumb. Proving that NBR can be random.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only major Oscar contender they seem to be missing is American Fiction.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

National Board of Review Winners

Post by Sabin »

Is this a record for most wins?

Best Film: Killers of the Flower Moon
Best Director: Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Best Actor: Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Best Actress: Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Best Supporting Actor: Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things
Best Supporting Actress: Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers
NBR Icon Award: Bradley Cooper
Best Original Screenplay: David Hemingson, The Holdovers
Best Adapted Screenplay: Tony McNamara, Poor Things
Breakthrough Performance: Teyana Taylor, A Thousand and One
Best Directorial Debut: Celine Song, Past Lives
Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Best International Film: Anatomy of a Fall
Best Documentary: Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Best Ensemble: The Iron Claw

Outstanding Achievement in Stunt Artistry: Director Chad Stahelski and Stunt Coordinators Stephen Dunlevy & Scott Rogers, John Wick: Chapter 4

Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography: Rodrigo Prieto, Barbie & Killers of the Flower Moon

Top Films (in alphabetical order):
Barbie
The Boy and the Heron
Ferrari
The Holdovers
The Iron Claw
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things

Top 5 International Films (in alphabetical order):
La Chimera