R.I.P. Jim Brown

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Jim Brown

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 amFunny Reza should bring up Rhonda Fleming
I brought up Rhonda Fleming (a fairly popular star during the 1940s and 1950s who appeared in Westerns, Musicals, Comedies, Dramas and Film Noir) because when she died and her obituary went up on this board Mister Tee said he had never heard of her which I found rather incredulous. I think most people our age and with an iota of interest in movies would have heard of Fleming. I guess Mister Tee was an exception :P
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Funny that IMDb. should highlight Jim Brown's movie career with Mars Attacks! along with The Dirty Dozen, The Running Man, and On Any Sunday. More recently he was, of course, portrayed in One Night in Miami, the only one of the four legends then still alive.

Funny Reza should bring up Rhonda Fleming who made her Broadway debut fifty years ago (April 25, 1973) in the revival of The Women where she was top-billed in the Paulette Goddard role over Kim Hunter in the Norma Shearer role, Dorothy Loudon in the Phyllis Povah role, Myrna Loy in the Lucile Watson role, Jan Miner in the Mary Boland role, Alexis Smith in the Rosalind Russell role, and TV actress Marie Wallace in the Joan Crawford role. Billing was alphabetical, but she, and Alexis Smith, last highlighted in the play's advertising, were at the time the biggest names in the cast. It opened the day before Last Tango in Paris took up all the oxygen in theatrical/film print.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:17 pmI always thought of him as an athlete who dabbled in movies -- largely because, beyond The Dirty Dozen, none of those he made were remotely worth seeing.
Yes he most certainly should first be remembered for his football career and his involvement with the Civil Rights movement.

While his film career did not have a whiff of Bergman or Fellini he did make a number of films after The Dirty Dozen that were quite memorable in terms of action and adventure. Brown and his movies were incredibly popular in many parts of the world. I remember hysterical mobs in my neck of the woods trying to get into the cinema to see one of his movies - 100 Rifles (a very sexy teaming with Raquel Welch), Ice Station Zebra, The Mercenaries, The Split, El Condor, The Grasshopper, Slaughter and Black Gunn.

Mister Tee it seems you missed out on a lot of Jim Brown on screen just as you earlier did with Rhonda Fleming :lol:
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I was kind of startled to see on IMDB that he was actually in around 40 movies plus a lot of TV. I always thought of him as an athlete who dabbled in movies -- largely because, beyond The Dirty Dozen, none of those he made were remotely worth seeing.

He deserves to be remembered as a Hall of Fame football player and courageous civil rights activist, way more than for any film career.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Jim Brown

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”