Honorary Oscars

For the films of 2023
mlrg
Associate

Re: Honorary Oscars

Post by mlrg »

In what world is Angela Basset more deserving than Glenn Close, Harrison Ford, Catherine Deneuve, Claire Denis, Ridley Scott, Ed Harris, etc… etc… it really looks like an apology award
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think it's dumb to give an Honorary Oscar to a man who has two Oscars (IMDb doesn't list it, but he has a Short Film Oscar from the 60's; he's talked about it in interviews) already and is an EGOT winner. I get it with Bassett, although it does feel a little bit like, "we're sorry about Supporting Actress this past year".
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Yes Bassett geting it is very "desperate".

Surely Glenn Close deserved it more. Or Harrison Ford.

Brooks is a good choice though.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Carol Littleton represents a branch not often considered for honoraries. Being female and having been responsible for ET are probably the main reasons she was chosen. But she had a pretty decent run of best picture nominees in the 80s. And she's 90 years old, so the time is now.

On the other hand, it feels way too early -- and thus desperate -- for Angela Bassett. This smacks of We've surrendered any hope you'll win in regulation...which seems unduly pessimistic, and a reaction against this past year's outcome. I'd have given her another decade to do it with the general membership.

Mel Brooks of course already has an Oscar, but so much of what we think of as his career happened subsequent to that (I was in high school when he won!), so I can live with this.

Not really familiar with Satter, but her contribution-to-cinema credentials seem stellar.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

GOVERNORS
AWARDS
HONORARY AWARDS
ANGELA BASSETT
MEL BROOKS
CAROL LITTLETON

JEAN HERSHOLT
HUMANITARIAN AWARD
MICHELLE SATTER
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Are the names of the new recipients of the Honorary Oscars announced in June?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Watching Ford receiving an ovation at the premiere/screening of the new Indy Jones at the Cannes film festival.

He looks very old and doddery. The Academy should really consider giving him an Honorary Oscar before its too late.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Ford and McKellen would be excellent choices but the french trifecta mentioned below - Delon, Deneuve, Depardieu - would also make for an exciting moment. Any one of them would be so well deserved.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Jami Gertz would be a perfect Hersholt winner. She may not be that well known, but she is right behind Oprah Winfrey on the list of the 20 most charitable celebrities ahead of Meryl Streep, Mel Gibson, Jerry Seinfeld, and Barbra Streisand who make up the top six on Money Inc.'s list published just two weeks ago.
That's not particularly hard to do when you marry a billionaire hedge fund manager.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Glenn Close is the only actor with multiple nominations and no wins over 70. She was supposed to present Best Picture at this year's Oscars but had to drop out at the last minute due to Covid. Clearly there is enough affection for her to receive an honorary Oscar, but they may be waiting until they are fairly sure she is not going to win a competitive one.

Of the others mentioned, Harrison Ford, who stood in for her in presenting Best Picture, is a big enough name to draw attention and may well be named but they tend to either go for retirees or lesser names for reasons aside from performance.

Ann Blyth is officially retired, and Leslie Caron may as well be, but neither had a strong enough career that resonates with younger members of the Academy who do the voting. They only know Blyth from Mildred Pierce and Caron from An American in Paris and Gigi if they know her at all.

They've given honorary Oscars to African Americans, Asians, and indigenous people in recent years. They haven't honored anyone from the LGBT community yet, so maybe Ian McKellen has a chance this year. His award could be presented by this year's Best Actor winner, Brendan Fraser, his Gods and Monsters co-star who referenced him in one of his televised acceptance speeches this year.

As for writers and directors, Ridley Scott is a good one. Like Close, he is still working and almost always on Oscar long lists, but unlike Close, hasn't had a nomination since 2015's The Martian.

Of the Artisans mentioned, I think Caleb Deschanel would be a popular choice.

Martin Scorsese is more than overdue for the Thalberg.

Jami Gertz would be a perfect Hersholt winner. She may not be that well known, but she is right behind Oprah Winfrey on the list of the 20 most charitable celebrities ahead of Meryl Streep, Mel Gibson, Jerry Seinfeld, and Barbra Streisand who make up the top six on Money Inc.'s list published just two weeks ago.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Sorry Peter...thank you.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Eenusch wrote:Definitely deserving (yet not mentioned previously): Peter Weir.

He already got his honorary Oscar last year!
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Definitely deserving (yet not mentioned previously): Judy Davis, Ed Harris, Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Nick Nolte, Charlotte Rampling, Kathleen Turner, Sigourney Weaver, and Peter Weir.

Borderline deserving: Richard Benjamin, Mia Farrow, and Richard Gere.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It's insane to me that Harrison Ford hasn't been given one yet. Been a movie star for nearly half a century across multiple franchises but also in independent blockbusters and only one nomination.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Is it just me, or is it a bit disheartening to see Ian McKellen on the list? I have to remind myself that he didn't win for Gods and Monsters.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”