Best Supporting Actress

For the films of 2022
danfrank
Assistant

Re: Best Supporting Actress

Post by danfrank »

Reza wrote:
danfrank wrote:No need to pile on Angela Bassett. I’d rather see a genuine expression of disappointment than the typical fake smile. And that dress was divine (or more accurately regal: she chose the royal purple because she was nominated for playing a queen).
The colour was not the problem. That was lovely. Those ruffles on her shoulders and hips were just too, too busy. The dress was wearing her instead of the other way round.
It’s a matter of personal taste, of course. I really liked it, as did the fashion bloggers I read. Vogue listed it among the top looks of the night.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

When Michelle Yeoh won, Cate Blanchett was one of her most enthusiastic applauders. She leapt to her feet pretty quickly and looked genuinely pleased. That was the only reaction I caught.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wasn't watching her face during the announcement. I was looking at both Curtis and Condon. Condon also looked disappointed, but she quickly recovered and stood applauding Curtis.

Later in the show Bassett was seated next to Austin Butler. They both seemed to be having a good time as did Cate Blanchett sitting next to James Hong and Colin Farrell and his son who applauded quite enthusiastically when his father lost to Brendan Fraser. Why don't people talk about things like that instead of how disappointed some of the losers momentarily were?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:No need to pile on Angela Bassett. I’d rather see a genuine expression of disappointment than the typical fake smile. And that dress was divine (or more accurately regal: she chose the royal purple because she was nominated for playing a queen).
The colour was not the problem. That was lovely. Those ruffles on her shoulders and hips were just too, too busy. The dress was wearing her instead of the other way round.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

No need to pile on Angela Bassett. I’d rather see a genuine expression of disappointment than the typical fake smile. And that dress was divine (or more accurately regal: she chose the royal purple because she was nominated for playing a queen).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dreaMaker wrote:Angela Bassett was such a disrespectful sore loser.
It was that hideous dress she was wearing. Obviously uncomfortable to sit in that contraption. Hence her pained expression.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Angela Bassett was such a disrespectful sore loser.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:I see it as enough voters realized that Curtis would never have another opportunity to win an Oscar but are certain that Bassett will be back.
One laments that there aren't enough good dramatic vehicles for black actors. Maybe Bassett should join hands with Denzel Washington who has planned to bring all of August Wilson's plays to the big screen. There are some great parts in those plays for an actress and Bassett could well win an Oscar just like Viola Davis did.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I see it as enough voters realized that Curtis would never have another opportunity to win an Oscar but are certain that Bassett will be back.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:I wasn’t rooting for Bassett, but her disappointment face was kind of heartbreaking and one for the ages…
I suppose hype makes you think you won't go empty handed. There was no way Bassett was going to win. Kerry Condon was the best of the nominees but once Curtis started campaigning and won SAG it was very hard for her to lose. She's Hollywood royalty, has been in countless hit films and this became the perfect excuse by her peers to honour her for her career.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I wasn’t rooting for Bassett, but her disappointment face was kind of heartbreaking and one for the ages…
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It'd be very weird for Yeoh to lose Best Actress now.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

JLC really campaigned very hard on social media.

Yeoh will win best actress
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This may well have made my entire bracket.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:Is this portending a sweep?
Yup.

Go to sleep.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “95th Academy Awards”