R.I.P. Hugh Hudson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Hugh Hudson

Post by dws1982 »

I wish I had known Revolution was on TCM recently; I try to keep track of their listings, but this one must have gone past me. I've always wanted to see it. There was a director's cut of Revolution that was released on BluRay in the UK that got some good notices. It was shorter overall, but I think it did have a few additions. I like Heaven's Gate quite a bit, but sometimes revisionist takes on a film can feel revisionist for its own sake, and this seems like it was doomed from the minute Al Pacino was cast--it's hard to think of anyone who belongs in Revolution-era America less than Pacino.

But I do like Chariots of Fire quite a lot. I'm not sure if it would be my pick of that Best Picture lineup, but it's not at all a bad winner, and is one of the better winners of the 80's in my mind.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He's one of 378 people who have been nominated for both an Oscar and a Razzie (for Revolution). Surprisingly, his last film, Finding Altamira starring Antonio Banderas and Rupert Everett, was only seven years ago.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

TCM ran Revolution a few weeks back; I DVR-d it, but haven't yet got around to watching it. And I watched Empire of Light last night, where Hudson and Chariots of Fire make an appearance. Weird: he was suddenly in my universe, after decades not thinking about him, and now, this.

Essentially he had a three-film career, with roughly the same top of the heap/rock bottom progression that Michael Cimino had. (The midpoint film, Greystoke, had its fans -- and two prime Oscar nominations -- but also enough murmurs of controversy/incompetence to somewhat presage the Revolution debacle.)

I was disappointed Chariots of FIre defeated Reds for best picture back in the day, but I never thought Chariots was anything less than a solid, atmospheric period piece, well-shot and stirring.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Hugh Hudson

Post by Reza »

I enjoyed his first two films but his career never recovered after Revolution flopped.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/f ... es-aged-86

Return to “The People”