R.I.P. Melinda Dillon

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Melinda Dillon

Post by Big Magilla »

Sandy Dennis won back-to-back Tonys - Best Featured Actress for of 1962/63 for A Thousand Clowns over Dillon and Best Actress of 1963/64 for Any Wednesday. She lost the film versions of those to Barbara Harris and Jane Fonda, respectively. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was only her second film following a small role in Splendor in the Grass five years earlier.

Dillon's film career took longer to get off the ground and she never had a starring role in a major film, unlike Dennis, but like Dennis, she stood out in practically everything she did. I hadn't seen her in so long I was surprised to find out she was 83 when she died. I would have thought she was a good ten years younger.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Ironically, Dillon lost the Tony for Virginia Woolf to Sandy Dennis, who of course got the role in the film and won the Oscar for it. I do love those kinds of connections.

I am of the age where her role in A Christmas Story is definitely the main point of reference for me, but she was one of those actresses who was always a welcome presence, although it's worth noting her filmography is thinner (in terms of quantity) than you might expect. Worth noting she gave the first Oscar-nominated performance from a Steven Spielberg film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I was surprised to see a recent photo of hers at age 80 plus. Had no idea she was that old. She did Virginia Woolf in 1962 the year I was born which made me realize just how old I am.

I don't think I've seen A Christmas Story but I agree she was very good in both Absence of Malice and Slap Shot. And a Tony and two Oscar nods along the way is not bad at all.

May she RIP.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Melinda Dillon

Post by Mister Tee »

I guess, below a certain age, most will think of her for that BB gun. But she was splendid in Absence of Malice and Slap Shot, and, a lifetime ago, was the original Honey in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235317335/

Return to “The People”