Notable Firsts and Records

For the films of 2022
jack
Assistant

Re: Notable Firsts and Records

Post by jack »

Is this not also the first time we have a nominated performance for playing a real person, Marilyn Monroe, in the same category as another who was previously nominated for playing the same person?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While you're correct, Greg, his qualification was "non-American," and Fonda is most definitely American.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

andrew wrote:Cate Blanchett's 8th acting nomination takes her to joint second on the list of non-Americans. Laurence Olivier leads that list on 10 but Blanchett is now tied with Judi Dench and Peter O'Toole.
The only other person currently working with more than 6 nominations is Kate Winslet (7).
Jane Fonda also has 7 nominations.
andrew
Graduate

Post by andrew »

Cate Blanchett's 8th acting nomination takes her to joint second on the list of non-Americans. Laurence Olivier leads that list on 10 but Blanchett is now tied with Judi Dench and Peter O'Toole.
The only other person currently working with more than 6 nominations is Kate Winslet (7).
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
dws1982 wrote:-
- Alfonso Cuaron (Live Action Short) now has nominations in six categories. If you include International, which I know doesn't officially count as a nomination for him personally, but some do count it, it's seven.
Correction: It's 7 or 8 counting International: Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, International Feature and now Live-Action Short.

He is one short of or tied with, if you count International, Kenneth Branagh.
Always forget that Adapted Screenplay nomination because that is such a bad adaptation of the book (although I do think the movie is good in its on right).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Spielberg ties William Wyler's record for having the most films nominated for Best Picture - 13.

This is the first time that the two highest grossing films of the year (Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water) have been nominated for Best Picture since 1982 (E.T. and Tootsie).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The biggest stretch of all, though, is the 92 years for Best Picture between the 1930 and 2022 versions of All Quiet on the Western Front. The previous record holder was 77 years between the 1935 and 2012 versions of Les Misérables. West Side Story was just 40 years between its 1961 and 2021 versions. Romeo and Juliet was just 32 years between its 1936 and 1968 versions.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Funnily enough, Peter, I did remember the Helen Hayes tidbit and specifically looked at her two years to see if I could get the number of years down and determined Hirsch was longer, so I stopped pursuing that line of thought originally. I also didn't have the time to sort through the lists to find someone else. 95 years of data demands a quick pull of the info from your mind or languishing to find it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:-
- Alfonso Cuaron (Live Action Short) now has nominations in six categories. If you include International, which I know doesn't officially count as a nomination for him personally, but some do count it, it's seven.
Correction: It's 7 or 8 counting International: Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, International Feature and now Live-Action Short.

He is one short of or tied with, if you count International, Kenneth Branagh.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Peter, I think the reason Helen Hayes leapt to mind was that she remains the actor with the longest span between wins.
She didn't leap to mind.

My mind was blank, so I looked it up in Wikipedia where I misread" longest gap between awards" as "longest gap between nominations". I was still right, though, when I said Wikipedia got the time-span wrong. The Sin of Madelon Claudet was released in 1931 but the win was for 1931-32 so the gap from that to 1970's Airport was 38 in Oscar years, not 39.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Peter, I think the reason Helen Hayes leapt to mind was that she remains the actor with the longest span between wins.
Wesley Lovell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, and this is why I should never use my phone to post. Cool
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:Would 95 best actress be theatrst starting (Sarandon, Shue, Stone, Streep, Thompson)
I assume you meant that to say "last starting", and, yes, we determined that last year, as an adjunct to discussing the supporting actress category.

Remarkable that this year's supporting actress slate ended up so close alphabetically to last year's record-setting bunch.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Would 95 best actress be theatrst starting (Sarandon, Shue, Stone, Streep, Thompson)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

- First time two people named Daniel have been nominated for Best Director.

- Alexandra Milchan (nominated for TAR) and Arnon Milchan (L.A. Confidential; The Revenant) are, I think the second father-daughter to be nominated in the Best Picture category after Sofia and Francis Coppola. David Ellison (Top Gun: Maverick) and Megan Ellison (several BP nominees over the past decade) are brother and sister, and may be the first brother and sister to be nominated in Best Picture.

- Saw somewhere (Twitter probably) that this is the first year since 1977 where two films each received four acting nominations. Not sure if that's accurate but I can't think of others. (Chicago and The Hours came close.)

- Spielberg ties Scorsese's nine Best Director nominations and moves up to second on the all-time list.

- Cate Blanchett logs her 10th Best Picture nominee, putting her even farther ahead for the most-ever for a woman. I'm not 100% who has the most ever. I know Ward Bond had 13, but at least three of those were uncredited roles, so they wouldn't count the same way Blanchett's would. I believe DeNiro has 11. Blanchett still only has three nominations for all of these Best Picture nominations.

- I like the synchronicity of Henry Fonda's second acting nomination, 41 years after his first, being the year after Judd Hirsch's first. So maybe Kodi Smit-McPhee 2064?

- Catherine Martin is the first person to be nominated for Costume Design and Best Picture. But not, surprisingly, the first in Production Design and Best Picture. That would be Kristi Zea. Martin is the first to be nominated for all three in one year.

- Extremely arcane, but this year's and last year's Best Supporting Actress lineups are, alphabetically, the earliest-terminating in the category's history, ending with Ellis (last year) and Hsu this year. In Supporting Actor, I think 2005 (Hurt) and 1965 (Finlay) are the earliest, although 2005 only beats 1963 by one letter (Huston). In Lead Actor, I think it's 2004 (Foxx) and 2010 (Franco). Actress seems to be 1975 (Kane) and 1956 (Kerr), a lot of those lineups end late in the alphabet because some actress in the many-nomination club have names that come pretty late in the alphabet (Page, Streep, Spacek, Sarandon, Winslet, etc.).

Return to “95th Academy Awards”