Jimmy Kimmel to host the 2023 Oscars

2018 through 2027
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Jimmy Kimmel to host the 2023 Oscars

Post by OscarGuy »

Though, a Steve Martin/Martin Short/Selena Gomez tag team of the Oscars would rock.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't think a host is necessary but the way they've been doing it in the past three years without a host isn't working. The 2019 Academy Awards was a very lively, fast-paced affair and it managed some semblance of personality but I think that was a one-off.

I think hosts have had a rough go of it this century and Jimmy Kimmel has been as good as anyone, and folks like Whoopi Goldberg, Steve Martin, and Ellen DeGeneres are a bit past their sell-date, while Chris Rock never really got the mood of the room.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I really liked Hugh Jackman as a host, to be honest. I don't recall much about the Martin/Baldwin pairing. I'll agree that Franco/Hathaway was a bust (though I think Hathaway could be a really terrific host on her own, for some reason); more mixed on Neil Patrick Harris (some good bits, some mediocre bits, poorly structured show didn't help). But I also think I'm in the minority and don't really feel that a host is necessary. I think the host contributes very little to whether a show is good or not in my mind.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They've tried actors before and the most recent attempts weren't successes. I, personally, couldn't care less about Jimmy Kimmel. He's mediocre fluff.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'd be curious how a not specifically funny host (not a comedian, I mean) would do. Like I'd love Meryl Streep to host to see if it would work well.

Or Fey and Poehler.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:I'm seeing some groaning around the web about this -- because, you know: the Internet -- but, far as I'm concerned, Kimmel has done (by sliding Oscar host scale) a perfectly good job when he's hosted.
Really? I think he’s fucking annoying. Did you see his little stunt of lying down on the stage during Quinta Brunson’s Emmy speech? Expect more bullshit like that when he hosts again this spring.

Unfunny and full of himself. He doesn’t celebrate film, he’ll just make fun of all of the nominated movies. And we’ll all have to suffer through a Matt Damon bit. Again.

Pass.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm seeing some groaning around the web about this -- because, you know: the Internet -- but, far as I'm concerned, Kimmel has done (by sliding Oscar host scale) a perfectly good job when he's hosted.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

1. Bob Hope (19 times solo)
2. Billy Crystal (9 times solo)
3. Johnny Carson (5 times solo)
4. Whoopi Goldberg (4 times solo)
5. Jimmy Kimmel (3 times solo)

I'm generally positive on Jimmy Kimmel. I thought that he has done some truly lame bits. His 2018 ceremony was very forgettable. His 2017 outing was marred by a couple of offensive moments, but I also thought it was often incredibly funny. The "no host" experiment just isn't working. He's as good a choice as any.

I was talking to my friend about who would do the best job hosting for the new decade, we both agreed, although it's so unlikely: Key & Peele.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

No one has posted this yet?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/07/entertai ... index.html

By Lisa Respers France, CNN

Jimmy Kimmel will return to host the Academy Awards for a third time, the Academy announced Monday.

Kimmel previously helmed the ceremony in 2017 and 2018.

“Being invited to host the Oscars for a third time is either a great honor or a trap,” Kimmel reportedly said in a statement. “Either way, I am grateful to the Academy for asking me so quickly after everyone good said no.”

His last foray into hosting the awards show was memorable for “La La Land” and “Moonlight” best picture mix up.

The next Oscars ceremony will follow another famous controversy - Will Smith slapping presenter Chris Rock at the 94th Academy Awards.

Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes and Regina Hall hosted that show.

It was announced in September that Glenn Weiss and Ricky Kirshner of White Cherry Entertainment had been named executive producers for the upcoming Oscars telecast.

The 95th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 12.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The 10th Decade”