R.I.P. Joe Turkel

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Joe Turkel

Post by Big Magilla »

Nice remembrance, Sabin.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Joe Turkel

Post by Sabin »

The bartender from The Shining.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/joe- ... 235307950/

This one hits a little bit differently for me. Twelve years ago, I was working a crappy job as a canvasser in the Santa Monica Promenade when this old dude started talking to me and wouldn't leave. He told me he was an actor. Me and my co-worker asked him if he was in anything we might've seen before. He said "Have you seen Paths of Glory, The Shining, or Blade Runner?" And we were like "... yes." He told us he was in them. We didn't quite believe him. This was before either of us had an iPhone. I forget how my co-worker verified his claims, if he looked him up on his phone or if he went to a Barnes and Nobles, but either way he came back and said "Yeah, it's him. He's 100% telling the truth." For the next three hours, we were regaled with stories about working with Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick, whom he proudly boasted he worked with more than anyone else. It's a distant memory now but I'm pretty sure we discussed his childhood and his politics as well. I'm not surprised to learn he attended an Occupy rally the next year.

It was one of the most memorable moments I've had in this city. I always wished I'd had a chance to meet him again.

Anyway, God speed, Joe Turkel. You didn't get involved with any charities that day but you gave us something more: the gift of memories. Well, not the children in Africa, you didn't give them anything. But you gave me and Ryan LeMar the gift of memories.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”