Ukraine

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Ukraine

Post by Big Magilla »

Further research - I just learned that a cousin and her late husband accompanied my aunt and uncle on their trip to Czechoslovakia and Ukraine in the 1990s. Her husband, who was Jewish, could find no trace of his ancestors from the region.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:
Today I learned that my father's family was from Lviv, the Ukraine city through which the refugees from Putin's war are going on their way to Poland and other European cities. I knew they were from the area, but this is the first time I heard that they were from Lviv. It was in my nephews' 23 and Me results.
I had a similar family revelation this weekend. A cousin of mine has been researching the family's geneology for several years now. I knew my family on my father's side was Russian. Until these past few weeks, I never thought to ask if they were Ukranian. Turned out they lived in Kamenetz-Podolsk which was back then a small town (now a mid-size city) in the south of Ukraine, about an hour away from Romania and Moldova. Not ideal back then to be Jewish and living in the Ukraine, which may be why they emigrated. In 1909 and again in 1912, family members travelled to Rotterdam, sailed to Ellis Island and settled in the Lower East Side of Manhattan where all the tenements are. This is all I know so far. I'm sure there's more. It may be silly, but a family revelation like this really is quite exciting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Ukraine

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting week for family history.

It started out with the report of the death of Charles Entenmann, who died at 92 late last month. He was the man who, with his two brothers, expanded the family's bakery business to the supermarkets in 1951. His grandfather, William, was the man who bought the Bay Shore bakery location where it all started from my mother's mother's father, Meinrad Mussler, in 1900. They were, however, two separate businesses. The Musslers moved to another location on Long Island while the Entenmanns, having moved from Brooklyn, did something the Musslers didn't - they delivered to customers' homes by horse and buggy. The Musslers' bakeries were also restaurants where patrons could sit and eat a meal and/or dessert as well as purchase bread, cake, etc. They closed their third and final location sometime in the late 1910s. My great-grandfather famously supported the Kaiser while his three sons were off fighting him in France during WWI. His oldest son never forgave him and even refused to attend his funeral.

You may recall my relating the story of my mother's father's Irish grandmother who was a street vendor during the Civil war in the area portrayed in Gangs of New York.

Today I learned that my father's family was from Lviv, the Ukraine city through which the refugees from Putin's war are going on their way to Poland and other European cities. I knew they were from the area, but this is the first time I heard that they were from Lviv. It was in my nephews' 23 and Me results.

Dad's family were Rusyns. They came from Carpathian Ruthenia which at the time that my grandparents left Europe was part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. It later became part of Czechoslovakia and more recently part of Ukraine. The part of the family that lived there when one of my father's brothers and his wife visited them in the 1990s considered them themselves Ukranians as they had long ago assimilated into the Ukranian culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Ruthenia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusyns

Return to “Current Events”