R.I.P. William Hurt

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. William Hurt

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I'm not so sure about that.

1984 - 6th spot could have been Diane Keaton in Mrs. Soffel or Helen Mirren in cal.
Keaton was nominated for the Golden Globe but Turner won the Globe for Romancing the Stone along with a win at the LA Critics (for both her films) and a nod (for both films) at the National Society of Film Critics.

For some weird reason Helen Mirren was totally under the radar during this period in the United States. She won a Bafta nod for Cal and the prize at Cannes but was never taken seriously in America. It took the Prime Suspect series for her to be finally "discovered".

And yes you may be right as Cher (Mask) in 1985 and Andie MacDowell (sex, lies and videotape) in 1989 most probably held the 6th spot.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm not so sure about that.

1984 - 6th spot could have been Diane Keaton in Mrs. Soffel or Helen Mirren in cal.

1985 - could have been Cher in Mask or Coral Browne in Dreamchild

1989 - could have been Andie MacDowell in sex, lies, and videotape or Patricia Neal in An Unremarkable Life
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Turner's ill health may explain her later lack of screen presence, but it doesn't explain why she was overshadowed by her female co-stars in Prizzi's Honor and The Accidental Tourist while she was still in her prime.
I think she got the dreaded 6th spot the year of Prizzi. Ditto the year she missed out for Romancing the Stone and Crimes of Passion and in 1989 when she missed out for The War of the Roses. Don't think her role in The Accidental Tourist had enough meat to score her a nod. Quirky Davis stood out more.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She's still around, that's for sure. Always gives sassy interviews.

I can't remember her ever giving a bad performances even in some of the stinkers she was in.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:Turner's ill health may explain her later lack of screen presence, but it doesn't explain why she was overshadowed by her female co-stars in Prizzi's Honor and The Accidental Tourist while she was still in her prime.
Turner was actually quite good in the final season of The Kominski Method playing opposite Michael Douglas as his ex-wife. The show aired last year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Turner's ill health may explain her later lack of screen presence, but it doesn't explain why she was overshadowed by her female co-stars in Prizzi's Honor and The Accidental Tourist while she was still in her prime.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:There wasn't any other actor who burst onto the screen in 1980, made a deep impression throughout the decade, then slid back into relative obscurity at the end of the decade.
One coiuld argue his some-time co-star Kathleen Turner followed the same career trajectory.
Not by choice in Turner's case. Ill health plagued her which caused her great pain and made her put on a lot of weight which caused her to all but completely disappear from the silver screen.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I watched The Doctor recently. Agree he was good in it. Don't remember it being a box-office hit. I'll have to take your word for that, but I do know that it wasn't much of an awards magnet.

This was Randa Haines' first film after Children of a Lesser Gid. Her next was Wrestling Ernest Hemingway. I could have sworn they were both bigger hits than The Doctor.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote: He never stopped making films, but his last major starring role was in 1991's The Doctor, which flopped at the box-office.
Sorry to be That Guy, but this is simply not the case. The Doctor out-earned every one of his famous 80s movies except for The Big Chill and Broadcast News. It was a fairly bland movie, but Hurt was terrific in it -- his reaction to being told he has to sit in a wheelchair in case he falls (a bemused but snarly "I don't FALL") is almost the essence of Hurt -- and the film's financial performance was a tribute to what a following he had at the time. I'd have definitely chosen him for a spot on the best actor slate over DeNiro's "Come out, come out, wherever you are."

Hurt's career didn't fade; he abdicated his position. As Mark Harris noted this week, Hurt never seemed comfortable with the level of fame he achieved; he viewed himself as a character actor trapped in a leading man's body. In 1989, I saw him at Circle Rep in a play called Beside Herself -- a clear Lois Smith vehicle, in which his role was very much supporting. He was also by then doing smallish parts in films like I Love You to Death. This kind of lesser role accounted for most of what he did the remainder of his career, and it seemed clearly his choice. Now, it's possible his star might have faded anyway -- especially as his hairline receded -- but he's a definite example of someone who left stardom, not someone who had it leave him.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was thinking in terms of male actors.

Turner's film career wasn't quite as stellar, but it did begin opposite Hurt in Body Heat and all but peter out opposite him in The Accidental Tourist. She was overshadowed in both Prizzi's Honor and The Accidental Tourist by supporting actresses who won Oscars while she herself had only one nomination for Peggy Sue Got Married. She should have had one two years earlier for Crimes of Passion or Romancing the Stone. She probably lost out due to a split in votes between the two performances.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:There wasn't any other actor who burst onto the screen in 1980, made a deep impression throughout the decade, then slid back into relative obscurity at the end of the decade.
One coiuld argue his some-time co-star Kathleen Turner followed the same career trajectory.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There wasn't any other actor who burst onto the screen in 1980, made a deep impression throughout the decade, then slid back into relative obscurity at the end of the decade.

He never stopped making films, but his last major starring role was in 1991's The Doctor, which flopped at the box-office. Even his late career nomination for A History of Violence couldn't bring back what was lost.

He should have been nominated for Oscars five times in the 1980s beginning with The Big Chill and ending, as Flipp said, with The Accidental Tourist. He was, however, one of the few who was nominated for his three best performances and won for his best.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote:His tempestuous relationship with Marlee Matlin was conducted by both of them in a cocaine infused haze. Both were heavily into drug use at the time. When she later wrote about it in her book Hurt responded to the media by saying he had apologised to her for his behaviour and wished her well with her family.
Marlee Matlin was asked about him during a red carpet interview at the Critics Choice awards and she very graciously said: “We’ve lost a really great actor and working with him on set in ‘Children of a Lesser God’ will always be something I remember very fondly. He taught me a great deal as an actor and he was one-of-a-kind.”
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

His tempestuous relationship with Marlee Matlin was conducted by both of them in a cocaine infused haze. Both were heavily into drug use at the time. When she later wrote about it in her book Hurt responded to the media by saying he had apologised to her for his behaviour and wished her well with her family.

As to his cruel remarks about her Oscar win the story went as follows: He reportedly asked her to consider what it meant to win the Oscar after just one film, when others won only after many years of hard work. "What makes you think you deserved it, Marlee?", Hurt allegedly asked her in the limousine after the ceremony.

He also had a relationship with the french actress-director, Sandrine Bonnaire, and had a daughter with her. They had met while shooting The Plague in 1991.

His prostate cancer was diagnosed as terminal way back in 2018 and had already metastasized to the bones.

Return to “The People”