Mike Gebert has his own website on which he posts daily:

https://www.nitrateville.com/index.php? ... dbd24f0215
Eric
Tenured

Re: 2021 Oscar Show

Post by Eric »

Mister Tee wrote:
Eric wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Great Michael Gebert quote today: There'll be more Hollywood star-power in any moment of a Wes Anderson movie than there will be at the Oscars this year.
Where did he post that? (I’ve been working on finalizing a blog project for myself comparing his Golden Armchair awards to selections of my own, and at some point I’m going to reach out for his blessing.)
Of all places, Jeff Wells' site, where he shows up in the Comments section somewhat regularly.
Ah that explains how it slipped by me.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Eric wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Great Michael Gebert quote today: There'll be more Hollywood star-power in any moment of a Wes Anderson movie than there will be at the Oscars this year.
Where did he post that? (I’ve been working on finalizing a blog project for myself comparing his Golden Armchair awards to selections of my own, and at some point I’m going to reach out for his blessing.)
Of all places, Jeff Wells' site, where he shows up in the Comments section somewhat regularly.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Great Michael Gebert quote today: There'll be more Hollywood star-power in any moment of a Wes Anderson movie than there will be at the Oscars this year.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Mister Tee wrote:The latest list of presenters. Not sure how Bill Murray made the cut -- he, unlike most of them, has done actual quality work in films (any work, for some).

https://deadline.com/2022/03/oscar-pres ... 234969901/

I can almost guarantee what'll happen here. The ratings will be up some -- because all awards shows have seen a rise, and last year was misleadingly low due to some people not even knowing the show was on. And that rise will be attributed (by ABC and the cowardly Academy board) to all the eliminated awards, the dopey Audience Choice, and the non-movie people pushed as presenters. And the show'll continue down this path.
I think people who know better will not compare this year's ratings with 2021 but the last pre-pandemic show, 2020.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The latest list of presenters. Not sure how Bill Murray made the cut -- he, unlike most of them, has done actual quality work in films (any work, for some).

https://deadline.com/2022/03/oscar-pres ... 234969901/

I can almost guarantee what'll happen here. The ratings will be up some -- because all awards shows have seen a rise, and last year was misleadingly low due to some people not even knowing the show was on. And that rise will be attributed (by ABC and the cowardly Academy board) to all the eliminated awards, the dopey Audience Choice, and the non-movie people pushed as presenters. And the show'll continue down this path.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Jessica Chastain has said she will attend the pre-show awards to cheer on the Eyes of Tammy Faye makeup team. She rightfully feels that is more important than being seen and interviewed on the Red Carpet.
Just another reason to love Jessica Chastain.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I remain interested in seeing what this show ends up looking like.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Jessica Chastain has said she will attend the pre-show awards to cheer on the Eyes of Tammy Faye makeup team. She rightfully feels that is more important than being seen and interviewed on the Red Carpet.
You'd think others would follow on this. Certainly directors should want to be there for their editors/designers/composers. If enough prominent people made it know they'd skip the Red Carpet, that could nudge ABC (which seems the prime mover behind these awful changes).

I mean, good god: awards getting bumped off-air for ANOTHER Bond tribute? (When the Bonds most people know aren't even alive anymore?)

Remember the year Chris Rock made jokes (and clips) showing that a bunch of people were more familiar with the movie White Chicks than any of the nominees? This show appears designed to please those folk at the expense of traditional watchers.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jessica Chastain has said she will attend the pre-show awards to cheer on the Eyes of Tammy Faye makeup team. She rightfully feels that is more important than being seen and interviewed on the Red Carpet.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So they have time for this falderal, but not 8 categories that have significance to the art of filmmaking? Poppycock.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

2021 Oscar Show

Post by Big Magilla »

Interestingly, the first promo for the show highlights the "first live performance of "We Don't Talk About Bruno", the 60th anniversary celebration of James Bond, and the 50th anniversary celebration of The Godfather", nothing about the actual nominees, in an apparent attempt to lure what viewers, exactly?

Return to “94th Academy Awards”