Categories One-by-One: Song

For the films of 2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Categories One-by-One: Song

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Honestly, I thought her song for the documentary she wrote with Lady Gaga should have got her the Oscar. That was a stunning and poignant song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rufPMisw4o

I have watched this clip several times since the ceremony, and I can never get through it without crying. An amazing musical performance and a powerful moment of activism from the survivors on stage. This should definitely be in any montage of Oscars greatest clips.

Diane Warren winning for that song would have been deserved for the year's competition as well as a recognition of her amazing career.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Honestly, I thought her song for the documentary she wrote with Lady Gaga should have got her the Oscar. That was a stunning and poignant song...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Serious question: can Diane Warren really be enjoying these yearly pointless nominations? I think I'd find it humiliating, but of course I'm not her.
Why should she be embarrassed? Does John Williams feel humiliated when he is nominated for absolutely middling scores, particularly when they push out more inventive composers? She has her fans in the music branch and should not need to apologize for it.
For the record, I think John Williams SHOULD feel embarrassed by his cronies continuing to jam him into the category for undistinguished work, since it's at the expense of those who'd be far more advantaged by the recognition.

But I'd say Warren's situation is that much worse, because Williams is a 5-time winner; these additional nods are like some of Streep's throwaway nominations -- annoying, but vaguely a career tribute. Warren has (at this point) so famously not won an Oscar that slotting her for songs (and films) that have no hope just make it look like her friends are trying to push her through even though the vehicles are utterly without worth. I'd find that embarrassing; I'd wish they'd wait till I did something that actually merited recognition.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:Serious question: can Diane Warren really be enjoying these yearly pointless nominations? I think I'd find it humiliating, but of course I'm not her.
Why should she be embarrassed? Does John Williams feel humiliated when he is nominated for absolutely middling scores, particularly when they push out more inventive composers? She has her fans in the music branch and should not need to apologize for it.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

dws1982 wrote:
I think she enjoys the attention. I'm sure she wants to win but if she won those Oscar bloggers who give her attention every year wouldn't give her any more attention than they give Randy Newman. Kind of wish she had won in 2015 when the last Bond song won, because nothing else good was nominated, and then we wouldn't have to hear bloggers talking about it, or entire segments of podcast episodes about when she should've won.
This https://www.stereogum.com/2158616/diane ... n-you/amp/ article from Stereogum from last August is a good read; she definitely doesn't come across as someone too upset by the continued losses, she has a great career.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think she enjoys the attention. I'm sure she wants to win but if she won those Oscar bloggers who give her attention every year wouldn't give her any more attention than they give Randy Newman. Kind of wish she had won in 2015 when the last Bond song won, because nothing else good was nominated, and then we wouldn't have to hear bloggers talking about it, or entire segments of podcast episodes about when she should've won.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think if Disney had submitted "We Don't Talk About Bruno," they could've won. I don't think it's a sure thing, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is one Oscar shy of an EGOT (he'd be the youngest recipient ever), he had a pretty big year (if not the smash he might have hoped), and Encanto seems to be fairly beloved.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Song

Post by Mister Tee »

The nominees:

Be Alive (King Richard)
Dos Origuitas (Encanto)
Down to Joy (Belfast)
No Time to Die (No Time to Die)
Somehow You Do (Four Good Days)

A lot of feeling around that Disney must be kicking themselves, having submitted only the ballad Dos Origuitas, when they could be barreling into this race with a recent 5-weeks-number-one record. It's slightly reminiscent of when How Deep is Your Love got the early Saturday Night Fever push, but, by the time of nominations, Stayin' Alive was the biggest hit in the land. (Of course, in that case, neither song got nominated.)

But I wonder if it makes much difference. Other movies have generated number one tunes in recent years -- Can't Stop the Feeling, See You Again, and Happy -- and didn't win (See You Again wasn't even nominated). Apart from Shallow, which only hit the top of the chart after it won, I believe the last song to be a Billboard number one and win the Oscar was Lose Yourself, two decades ago. So, maybe Bruno would be going down much the same as Dos Origuitas.

Because going down it is, I presume, as Billie Eilish repeats Adele's feat: getting an Oscar for being a beloved pop star and doing a Bond song (the interim Bond winner, Writing's on the Wall, was more an accident in a crap year). You'd think there'd be better competition, with Beyonce and Van Morrison -- representing fans of widely-separated generations -- also on the roster, but it sure doesn't look that way.

Serious question: can Diane Warren really be enjoying these yearly pointless nominations? I think I'd find it humiliating, but of course I'm not her.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”