Now Streaming

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Now Streaming

Post by Big Magilla »

I re-watched West Side Story and watched the first hour of Drive My Car (more about that when I finish the film).

I also watched the first 25 minutes of the SAG awards on HBO Max, which I had missed Sunday night.

I thought Troy Kotsur's speech was a good one until he got to the end and made a lame joke about his wife and his fly.

Then it hit me why everyone loves Ariana DeBose. Her speech was halting in a refreshing way as speeches from overnight sensations often are. I think she was genuine when she said she accepted the award for her co-stars as well as herself or words to that effect.

In rewatching the film, I was impressed again by Tony Kushner's excellent screenplay. All the characters are improved from the original except Anita. Why? Because, it struck me, she was perfectly written to begin with. Even with her dancing somewhat muted by the transposition of "America" from the gym to the streets, she has the perfect arc, a character that has to be danced to perfection while also being able to have a dramatic change of heart during the "A Boy Like That/I Have a Love" confrontation with Maria and then make a 180 degree once again in her pivotal speech at the end. It's no wonder her character is the standout in any production of West Side Story.

So, bottom line is that while I still think Kirsten Dunst deserves the Oscar for The Power of the Dog, I won't be upset if DeBose wins as predicted by practically everyone else.
gunnar
Assistant

Re: Now Streaming

Post by gunnar »

West Side Story (2021) is also available on Disney+ along with Summer of Soul (2021)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Now Streaming

Post by Big Magilla »

HBO has begun streaming both West Side Story (2021) and Drive My Car.

West Side Story is due out on Blu-ray and 4K on 3/15 but Drive My Car has no home video release date so this may be your best opportunity to catch up with it before the Oscars.

Return to “DVD Discussions”