Interesting Article on difficulty hearing movie dialogue

mlrg
Associate

Re: Interesting Article on difficulty hearing movie dialogue

Post by mlrg »

My way of solving this while watching films without subtitle is using headphones via Bluetooth connection to my tv.

On the other hand I’m lucky enough to live in a country where movies are not dubbed. Everything is shown in it’s original language with subtitles (which are normally very very good).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Interesting Article on difficulty hearing movie dialogue

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for this, Okri.

I thought it was me! Aside from pompous asses like Nolan, Inarritu, and Hardy, I often have trouble hearing dialogue.

Tee mentioned having difficulty with some of Caitriona Balfe's dialogue in Belfast. I did, too, but I put it off to her having to speak in a heavy Irish accent which is not how she normally speaks. She may have been born in Dublin and raised in the Irish suburbs, but the former model speaks in Outlander as though she spent a lifetime on the London stage.

I prefer to watch a film without resorting to "subtitles for the hard of hearing" but I sometimes do to make sure I don't miss anything. This, too, can be frustrating, especially when the actor's lips aren't moving, and the subtitles put in words that make clearer what he or she is saying when they haven't actually said that. Sometimes, they change the wording for no discernible reason. For example, the other day I was watching something in which the actor clearly said, "at a quarter to nine" but the subtitles read "at 8:45".
Okri
Tenured

Interesting Article on difficulty hearing movie dialogue

Post by Okri »

Return to “Other Film Discussions”