1978-1987 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Which Best Supporting Actor winner 1978-1987 was best or most deserving?

Christopher Walken - The Deer Hunter
25%
Melvyn Douglas - Being There
No votes
Timothy Hutton - Ordinary People
42%
John Gielgud - Arthur
No votes
Louis Gossett, Jr. - An Officer and a Gentleman
No votes
Jack Nicholson - Terms of Endearment
17%
Haing S. Ngor - The Killing Fields
No votes
Don Ameche - Cocoon
No votes
Michael Caine - Hannah and Her Sisters
8%
Sean Connery - The Untouchables
8%

Total votes: 12

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 1978-1987 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Sabin »

This feels like a much less distinguished group of winners than their female counterparts. Three old guy performances (Douglas, Gielgud, Ameche), a screaming performance (Gossett, Jr.), and a couple of movie stars slumming it (Connery, Nicholson).

I haven't seen Don Ameche but I think I'll vote anyway but I doubt it's going to change my vote from Michael Caine. Chalk it up to a stellar feat of casting ("This character is creepy... we need someone with a British accent!") but I find his performance very dear. It had such a big impact on me at a young age. I rewatched the film recently and my opinion hasn't changed.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Voted for Walken.

Never understood the hype around Duvall’s performance. It’s built around an iconic phrase and the 4th shortest performance of the 50 nominated performances during this decade.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Nicholson and followed very closely by Gielgud.

Next followed by Hutton, Walken, Gossett Jr., Connery and Ngor.

Don't get Melvyn Douglas' win at all. Preferred both Rooney and Duvall.

Yes Brandauer should have won over Ameche.

The best supporting performance of 1986 was given by Dennis Hopper. But for Blue Velvet although they nominated him for Hoosiers instead. Of the nominees both the actors from Platoon were much better than Caine.
Last edited by Reza on Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1978-1987 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Lots of popular winners here, but was it their performances or their personal popularity that won some of them their awards?

Christopher Walken was mesmerizing in 1978's The Deer Hunter with no real competition.

Melvyn Douglas was masterful in 1979's Being There and a good choice despite strong competition from Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

Timothy Hutton was perfection in 1980's Ordinary People with only Joe Pesci in Raging Bull providing any real competition.

John Gielgud charmed the pants off voters in 1981's Arthur with only Jack Nicholson in Reds a likely alternative.

Louis Gossett, Jr. in 1982's An Officer and a Gentleman was a welcome winner despite strong competition from both James Mason in The Verdict and Robert Preston in Victor/Victoria.

Jack Nicolson as the horny retired astronaut in 1983's Terms of Endearment had his second win sewed up.

Haing S. Ngor, whose own backstory was as compelling as the character he played in 1984's The Killing Fields, gave a performance that was as well-earned as it was predictable.

Don Ameche's win for 1985's Cocoon is a headscratcher. His was a charming, but definitely lightweight, performance. Klaus Maria Brandauer in Best Picture winner Out of Africa should have taken this one.

Michael Caine's performance in 1986's Hannah and Her Sisters was good but Golden Globe winner Tom Berenger in Platoon and non-nominated New York Film Critics and National Board of Review winner Daniel Day-Lewis in both My Beautiful Laundrette and A Room with a View were much stronger.

Sean Connery' in 1987's The Untouchables was an easy winner for his most memorable role aside from from his iconic James Bond.

For me, it was a close call between Walken, Hutton, and Ngor. Voted for Hutton.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”