CHASING COVID-19 VACCINE

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: CHASING COVID-19 VACCINE

Post by dws1982 »

dws1982 wrote:Second dose is on the 25th. Trying to decide if I should take off the 26th...it is a Friday, and the Friday before Spring Break. (I am already not at school on the 25th for a textbook committee meeting.)
If possible, clear your schedule the day after your second dose, just in case. I worked today. We had several teachers out already, yesterday we got out early due to severe weather and most of the students in my classes were not there, so I decided to just use the sub work that didn't get done yesterday. I could basically sit at the desk all day with minimal instructions, but I still should've stayed home. Today has been hell.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

gunnar wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
gunnar wrote:I ended up getting the Pfizer vaccine and my first shot went well. Everything was organized nicely and it all went very quickly. I didn’t even feel the prick of the needle.
Wait! The pain catches up to you. My arm stated hurting ten hours after the fact. It still hurts somewhat, but that's supposed to be a good thing. It means the vaccine is working!
I started feeling soreness in the area of the injection around 6 hours after the shot and it is still a bit tender. No other side effects for me, fortunately. I'm hoping that I don't have any for the second shot either. My mom didn't have any side effects so maybe I'll be lucky.
My arm started feeling better this morning.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:My cohort (Phase 2 in Missouri) begins on Monday. As such, I scheduled an appointment at Walmart to get the vaccine on Tuesday next week. It's Moderna. Here's hoping all goes well.
I was really impressed with the way Walmart handled things here, as was everyone else here who took advantage of the mayor's program on Wednesday to the extent that people who were skeptical of the offer are now calling Walmart wanting to know when they're going to do another mass vaccination.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Big Magilla wrote:
gunnar wrote:I ended up getting the Pfizer vaccine and my first shot went well. Everything was organized nicely and it all went very quickly. I didn’t even feel the prick of the needle.
Wait! The pain catches up to you. My arm stated hurting ten hours after the fact. It still hurts somewhat, but that's supposed to be a good thing. It means the vaccine is working!
I started feeling soreness in the area of the injection around 6 hours after the shot and it is still a bit tender. No other side effects for me, fortunately. I'm hoping that I don't have any for the second shot either. My mom didn't have any side effects so maybe I'll be lucky.

Good luck with your shot, OscarGuy.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My cohort (Phase 2 in Missouri) begins on Monday. As such, I scheduled an appointment at Walmart to get the vaccine on Tuesday next week. It's Moderna. Here's hoping all goes well.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I ended up getting the Pfizer vaccine and my first shot went well. Everything was organized nicely and it all went very quickly. I didn’t even feel the prick of the needle.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You're right, Reza, but my sleep habits are pretty bad so it could have been a combination of both, but I did sleep more soundly than usual when I napped yesterday.

My youngest sister, 57, had her second Moderna shot Tuesday. She was told to drink lots of water, which she did, and not take Tylenol until absolutely necessary to give the medicine a chance to work. She held off, despite a really sore arm, until she had a temperature of over 100 degrees. Her husband and daughter, both schoolteachers, had different symptoms. Her husband had mild pain unlike with the first dose when he had severe pain for days. Her daughter had no ill effects with either dose.

I developed a sore arm about ten hours after taking the vaccine but got a decent sleep overnight, and still have a slightly sore arm but no other side effects, at least for now.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:No pain, but I needed a nap. Not sure if it was the vaccine or just a lack of sleep.
I think it was the vaccine. I know a number of people who experienced drowsiness after the shot. My mom (age 78) fell into a deep sleep a few hours after her shot and had a hard time getting up although my dad (age 84) did not experience it and was fine. Covid reacts in odd and different ways according to each individual's body chemistry.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The experience was great.

Walmart did a really professional job at the town PAL (Police Athletic League) building. I let two of my fellow residents know what to expect because I knew they both had appointments later in the day that they were anxious about.

I left home at 9:30 for my 10:10 appointment. I thought if I got there too early they might tell me to come back, any later than that would be pushing it. I was concerned about traffic but there wasn't any. It was an easy in and out with plenty of parking spaces. They lined us up by appointment time. They had 10-12 people for each time slot.

The line moved fast, maybe 10-15 minutes until we got inside. They had us fill out paperwork which took about ten minutes. Then they had us take a seat - 10 people per row. The pharmacist came to us. The wait was maybe ten minutes. Then we had to sit in the same seat for 15 minutes before we left. The lady next to me said she heard you needed to drink lots of water after the shot. As she said it, I realized my mouth was a little dry. Fortunately I had a bottle of water in the car.

I got home at 10:50. No pain, but I needed a nap. Not sure if it was the vaccine or just a lack of sleep.

Second dose in four weeks on April 21 - same time and place.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The experience was really good.

Walmart did a really professional job at the town PAL (Police Athletic League) building. I let two of fellow residents know what to expect because I knew they were both had appointments later in the day that they were anxious about.

I left home at 9:30 for my 10:10 appointment. I thought if I got there too early they might tell me to come back, any later than that would be pushing it. I was concerned about traffic but there wasn't any. It was an easy in and out with plenty of parking spaces. They lined us up by appointment time. They had 10-12 people for each time slot.

The line moved fast, maybe 10-15 minutes until we got inside. They had us fill out paperwork which took about ten minutes. Then they had us take a seat - 10 people to row. The pharmacist came to us. The wait was maybe ten minutes. Then we had to sit in the same seat for 15 minutes before we left. The lady next to me said she heard you needed to drink lots of water after the shot. As she said it, I realized my mouth was a little dry. Fortunately I had a bottle of water in the car.

I got home at 10:50. No pain, but I needed a nap. Not sure if it was the vaccine or just a lack of sleep.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Got my reminder call from Walmart. It's Moderna which means I will probably be scheduled for my second shot on April 21 and not achieve full immunity until May 5 which kind of sucks but it's a step in the right direction.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

A couple of weeks ago, I secured my vaccination appointment. I didn't say anything at the time because I saw lots of people were having major frustrations with securing an appointment, and I pretty much got lucky. According to my state's guidelines, I'm not eligible and I have no idea when I would be. But, much to my surprise, I'm in a private hosipital network's database that follows their own eligiblity guidelines and procedures, and according to them, I'm eligible. (I had to wrack my brain to figure out why I was on this database. Turns out, it was for several procedures I had undergone 6 or 7 years ago.) The signing up process coudn't have been easier. There were 10 availabilities for a town about 30 minutes away. Most other availabilities in other, nearer towns were already taken. I chose one for March 28th - nearly a month away at that time - submitted, and the website froze. After 5 minutes of waiting, I refreshed and found 9 of the 10 availabilites were now gone. But I was able to capture the 10th one. So I'm all set.

My mother is fully vacciated, as are most of my older relatives. It does feel like it's the last chapter. Just wish the cases would GO DOWN already!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

gunnar wrote:The AstraZeneca vaccine which has been getting some notice due to blood clots and possibly other issues hasn't been approved for use in the U.S., but the U.S. government had stockpiled 10 million doses of it in case it did get approval. They are going to send 4 million of those doses to Canada and Mexico where the vaccine has been approved. I wonder if it will ever get approval to be used in the U.S. with the worries about health risks from taking it, even if they are rare.
AstraZeneca is the one more frequently used in Europe and in my country. It’s usage was suspended a couple of days last week. Those who refuse to take this brand will go to the end of list to be vaccinated.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

The AstraZeneca vaccine which has been getting some notice due to blood clots and possibly other issues hasn't been approved for use in the U.S., but the U.S. government had stockpiled 10 million doses of it in case it did get approval. They are going to send 4 million of those doses to Canada and Mexico where the vaccine has been approved. I wonder if it will ever get approval to be used in the U.S. with the worries about health risks from taking it, even if they are rare.

Return to “General Off-Topic”