Unseen 2020 Oscar Nominated Films

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Unseen 2020 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:All of them.
I was going to spend this past month catching up, but it was impossible. This primary focus of this weekend was also supposed to be for catching up as my mom graciously offered to babysit for two nights, but THAT proved impossible. I'll try to do some cramming tonight, but there's no way I can watch 7 films nominated for Best Picture between now and tomorrow night... especially when I also want to see a couple of Foreign Language nominees and maybe the film about the life-affirming mollusk.

I did see:
Trial of the Chicago 7
Time
25 minutes of Mank.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Better Days and The Man Who Sold His Skin appear to have arrived on Hulu within the past few days, which means that all five International Feature nominees are available to stream. (All on Hulu.)
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I've still got quite a few of the nominees to watch, though I've seen 13 of the full length nominees and four of the five animated shorts. I'll watch the other animated short on Netflix soon. I've managed to locate all of the nominees I need online or on dvd except for The Father which is in theaters. Most of the full length films I have yet to watch are on Netflix (14), Prime (4), Hoopla (2), Disney+ (1) or dvd (5).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Peter Travers delivered his top ten list on ABC at the end of 2020:

1, Da 5 Bloods
2. Nomadland
3. Small Axe - Lovers Rock
4. The Trial of the Chicago 7
5. First Cow
6. Mank
7. Never Rarely Sometimes Always
8. Minari
9. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
10. Tenet

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/vide ... 0-74895983
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Better Days
Greyhound
The Man Who Sold His Skin
The One and Only Ivan ?
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I never bothered to check if he even had a top 10 list this year.

I see, though, that he's moved on to be the film critic for ABC News so he may still revive his year end list. We'll see. As we've learned in the past decade, a film critic doesn't need a steady job - or even employment - to make his opinions heard. They always find a way.

(Film critic for ABC News?? Since when does ABC News use film critics?)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
Raising a kid makes devoting 2 hours of my undivided attention feel more like a chore than a pleasure. This pandemic has only made the prospect of watching movies even more exhausting, even if much of the past year I was shut up in the house, since I was also shut up with said kid. When I need a few hours of downtime, I'll listen to music or read. Movies don't have that allure for me anymore, which is why I'm barely here these days.
Fitting because Peter Travers is no longer the film critic over at Rolling Stone anymore. The contest is no more.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

All of them.

It's refreshing to see this list of Oscar nominated films as a kind of tabula rasa - or maybe _I'm_ the tabula rasa - knowing very little about the fims, what they're about and who's in them. Raising a kid makes devoting 2 hours of my undivided attention feel more like a chore than a pleasure. This pandemic has only made the prospect of watching movies even more exhausting, even if much of the past year I was shut up in the house, since I was also shut up with said kid. When I need a few hours of downtime, I'll listen to music or read. Movies don't have that allure for me anymore, which is why I'm barely here these days. (I did see one movie: Mangrove, the first Small Axe feature, which managed to feel necessary and unnecessary at the same time).

Now that the nominations are announced, I've built up a bit of interest. I think now's the time to finally dive right in. It should be fun to watch most of the nominated films with very few preceonceptions. (I have seen some of the trailers.) And yet.... after a full day of trying to get my poor 8 year old, who's extremely bored, to do her assignments, and arguing with the principal that the school is fully opening way too soon, and hearing that 10 people at my wife's workplace just got infected.... well, the only thing I'm up to seeing is that cool octopus.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Most of the main category films, you know where you can see them, and most are available on streaming somewhere, either for free or as a rental/purchase. Two big exceptions are The Father, which will be soon, and Judas and the Black Messiah, which was on HBO Max up until Sunday as part of the WB/HBO Max 30-Day streaming agreement. But it seems to be mostly gone from (open) theaters now.

In International Film, Another Round is on Hulu, although if you don't Hulu, it's available on all the usual streamers as a rental.Collective is coming to Hulu next week, but can be rented otherwise. Quo Vadis, Aida? and Better Days are both available as a rental. The Man Who Sold His Skin isn't available anywhere right now; Samuel Goldwyn films picked it up for distribution (same distributor as Another Round) a few weeks back, and I would think they would try to make it available during Oscar season since people might forget about it after the Oscars are over.

Documentary Feature is pretty easy this year: Collective hits Hulu next week, The Mole agent is already there; Crip Camp and The Octopus Teacher are both on Netflix, and Time is on Prime. I've said it before, but streaming has really made this any easily accessible category. Just a decade ago this category was full of films that you had never heard of, never had an easy way of seeing, and by the time they might have become accessible, you had forgotten they even existed.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I should probably list the ones I've seen. Would have had Nomadland on this list too, but the screener I got wouldn't play.

Mank
Promising Young Woman
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
One Night in Miami

But, since I can't get out to theaters, I suppose this isn't bad so far... Still have a few that I have access to but haven't felt like sitting down to watch yet (Minari, Nomadland, Sound of Metal, Over the Moon, Borat...but would have to see the first one first, Hillbilly Elegy, The White Tiger, Eurovision Song Contest, Emma., Greyhound, Love and Monsters). And once again, I don't include the foreign, shorts, or documentaries. I'll catch the shorts if I can get the screeners again this year.

Of course, part of the reason is I've been rather out of sorts since this pandemic started. Had some persistent heart palpitations two weeks ago because of the build up of anxiety, so I've been trying to divert myself, which means a lot of these overly dramatic works aren't on deck for me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Unseen 2020 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by Reza »

Onward
Over the Moon
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Soul
Wolfwalkers
Pinocchio
The One and Only Ivan
Better Days
Collective
The Man Who Sold His Skin
Quo Vadis, Aida?
Last edited by Reza on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”