BAFTA stuff.

For the films of 2020
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: BAFTA stuff.

Post by Big Magilla »

The juries for the acting and directing categories were announced last year after the accusations of racism over the lack of diversity in the nominations.

Diversity is a good thing, but jury selection that deliberately excludes really good work to make a point, isn't.

Best Film

This was voted on by the whole Academy and is more reflective of what most members liked, but why only five nominations vs. ten for Best British Film?

The nominees are:

The Father
The Mauritanian
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best British Film

Aside from The Father, The Mauritanian and Promising Young Woman, the only one I've seen is The Dig, which is a veddy British film that is almost boring.

Best Actor

These are all strong performances. No issues here.

Best Actress

This is something of a headscratcher. I'm sure all these ladies are fine actresses, but were their performances in little seen films better than those that have won the brunt of this year's female acting awards?

Best Supporting Actor

No issues here. Nice to see Alan Kim nominated for something other than Best Juvenile Performance.

Best Supporting Actress

This category has been so up in the air this year, it's difficult to say if these wouldn't have been the nominees had the entire Academy voted here.

Best Director

Nice to see Zhao, Chung and Vinterberg here. Excluding Sorkin and Fincher isn't such a bad idea, but they also excluded Regina King and Emerald Fennell to make room for lesser work from women who weren't on anyone's radar. I know Babyteeth has its supporters, but to me, it was amateurish nonsense more worthy of a Razzie than a BAFTA or an Oscar. The others I haven't seen and have no desire to run out and do so.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I like that many of the BAFTA nominees this year are actually British. It always struck me as bizarre how Hollywood centric the nominees were most years. I mean, some years the Best Film category had no British-specific films.

While these nominees may not be as clarifying to the Oscar race as years past, I think it helps make clear that the love for NOMADLAND is not exclusive to critics groups in the USA. THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 also has stronger support than I would have imagined from this group. MINARI and PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN coming out strong but also inexplicably missing in the lead acting categories everyone expected. I have no explanation for that one.

For a while now, I kept thinking THE FATHER could surprise with the rare odd-man-out directing nomination like COLD WAR a couple years ago. BAFTA was our only indication that would happen, but now I am wondering what if ANOTHER ROUND pulls that off instead. Did not see that coming but I know folks really love the film.

Other than that I do not see these nominations shifting the general consensus all that much. Everyone's reaction to them will be far more fascinating to watch.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin, they are useless as a predictor and the extent to which anyone cared about the BAFTA nominations, it was for their predictive quality. No one pays much attention to the Donatellos, Cesars, or any other European Award. We only pay attention to BAFTA now because it's a precursor.

And what information does it really give us if the nominations were selected by committee? Sure, we all think Vanessa Kirby is a potential nominee, but BAFTA also picked four other Actresses that no one thinks are Oscar contenders. Does that really mean much?

That they ignored Carey Mulligan is the biggest headscratcher followed by no mention of Viola Davis, both surefire Oscar nominees. Should we now doubt that either will make the final list and that Frances McDormand will sweep to the end? Not in the least. The Father was ready-made for the BAFTAs. Two lead actors of repute in a British-made film? That doesn't give us insight into Oscar voter thoughts.

Selections by committee are one of the reason that Spirit Award nominees are so weird yet their winners are so mainstream. The nominees are selected by committee and then the winners are selected by the membership. At least with the Academy, it's the actual branches of the Academy who vote on their nominations, not a select few.

And, Reza, this is EXACTLY what we were telling you in the other thread. You take EVERY opportunity you can to bitch and moan about diversity and make snide comments about it. If you don't want to be considered racist, you should probably stop doing that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I haven't seen a lot of this (including some films I've never heard of), but I love that this list is so idiosyncratic. It may be useless as a predictor, but I welcome uselessness in that sense. It is like these small pools of voters actually watched the films and really chose the best.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What is everybody freaking out about and how is this list of nominees useless? It's not their job to forecast the Academy Awards. Did they predict the nominees. Not as much as usual. Did they give us insight into the eventual nominees and winners? Yes.

WHAT DID WE LEARN?
- The Father gets a step up with its second major showing in the race.
- Minari, Nomadland, Promising Young Woman, and The Trial of the Chicago 7 maintain their momentum.
- If anything, Nomadland takes a big step forward towards winning it all (don't underestimate Minari which did very well; despite no Yeun, Alan Kim got in)
- Carey Mulligan's omission is baffling, but we know that Vanessa Kirby should be considered a solid bet for a nomination after weeks being in the conversation but not dominating it.
- They don't love Mank. David Fincher's film suffers a second major setback after being almost shut out of the SAG awards (save for Oldman) and reduced to down-ballot here.
- Could Supporting Actress be between Maria Bakalova and Yuh-Jung Youn? I'm perfectly open to it.
- Paul Raci gets his first major precursor nomination with Academy overlap, edging out Sasha Baron Cohen, demonstrating love of his film and strength of his performance.

POST EDITED TO INCLUDE NOMINATIONS:
BEST FILM

THE FATHER Philippe Carcassonne, Jean-Louis Livi, David Parfitt

THE MAURITANIAN TBC

NOMADLAND Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey, Frances McDormand, Peter Spears, Chloé Zhao

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Ben Browning, Emerald Fennell, Ashley Fox, Josey McNamara

THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 Stuart Besser, Marc Platt

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM

CALM WITH HORSES Nick Rowland, Daniel Emmerson, Joe Murtagh

THE DIG Simon Stone, Gabrielle Tana, Moira Buffini

THE FATHER Florian Zeller, Philippe Carcassone, Jean-Louis Livi, David Parfitt, Christopher Hampton

HIS HOUSE Remi Weekes, Martin Gentles, Edward Kings, Roy Lee

LIMBO Ben Sharrock, Irune Gurtubai, Angus Lamont

THE MAURITANIAN Kevin Macdonald, Rory Haines, Sohrab Noshirvani, M.B. Traven

MOGUL MOWGLI Bassam Tariq, Riz Ahmed, Thomas Benski, Bennett McGhee

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Emerald Fennell, Ben Browning, Ashley Fox, Josey McNamara

ROCKS Sarah Gavron, Ameenah Ayub Allen, Faye Ward, Theresa Ikoko, Claire Wilson

SAINT MAUD Rose Glass, Andrea Cornwell, Oliver Kassman

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER

HIS HOUSE Remi Weekes (Writer/Director)

LIMBO Ben Sharrock (Writer/Director), Irune Gurtubai (Producer) [also produced by Angus Lamont]

MOFFIE Jack Sidey (Writer/Producer) [also written by Oliver Hermanus and produced by Eric Abraham]

ROCKS Theresa Ikoko, Claire Wilson (Writers)

SAINT MAUD Rose Glass (Writer/Director), Oliver Kassman (Producer) [also produced by Andrea Cornwell]

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

ANOTHER ROUND Thomas Vinterberg, Sisse Graum Jørgensen

DEAR COMRADES! Andrei Konchalovsky, Alisher Usmanov

LES MISÉRABLES Ladj Ly

MINARI Lee Isaac Chung, Christina Oh

QUO VADIS, AIDA? Jasmila Žbanić, Damir Ibrahimovich

DOCUMENTARY

COLLECTIVE Alexander Nanau

DAVID ATTENBOROUGH: A LIFE ON OUR PLANET Alastair Fothergill, Jonnie Hughes, Keith Scholey

THE DISSIDENT Bryan Fogel, Thor Halvorssen

MY OCTOPUS TEACHER Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed, Craig Foster

THE SOCIAL DILEMMA Jeff Orlowski, Larissa Rhodes

ANIMATED FILM

ONWARD Dan Scanlon, Kori Rae

SOUL Pete Docter, Dana Murray

WOLFWALKERS Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart, Paul Young

DIRECTOR

ANOTHER ROUND Thomas Vinterberg

BABYTEETH Shannon Murphy

MINARI Lee Isaac Chung

NOMADLAND Chloé Zhao

QUO VADIS, AIDA? Jasmila Žbanić

ROCKS Sarah Gavron

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

ANOTHER ROUND Tobias Lindholm, Thomas Vinterberg

MANK Jack Fincher

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Emerald Fennell

ROCKS Theresa Ikoko, Claire Wilson

THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 Aaron Sorkin

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

THE DIG Moira Buffini

THE FATHER Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller

THE MAURITANIAN Rory Haines, Sohrab Noshirvani, M.B. Traven

NOMADLAND Chloé Zhao

THE WHITE TIGER Ramin Bahrani

LEADING ACTRESS

BUKKY BAKRAY Rocks

RADHA BLANK The Forty-Year-Old Version

VANESSA KIRBY Pieces of a Woman

FRANCES McDORMAND Nomadland

WUNMI MOSAKU His House

ALFRE WOODARD Clemency

LEADING ACTOR

RIZ AHMED Sound of Metal

CHADWICK BOSEMAN Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

ADARSH GOURAV The White Tiger

ANTHONY HOPKINS The Father

MADS MIKKELSEN Another Round

TAHAR RAHIM The Mauritanian

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

NIAMH ALGAR Calm With Horses

KOSAR ALI Rocks

MARIA BAKALOVA Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

DOMINIQUE FISHBACK Judas and the Black Messiah

ASHLEY MADEKWE County Lines

YUH-JUNG YOUN Minari

SUPPORTING ACTOR

DANIEL KALUUYA Judas and the Black Messiah

BARRY KEOGHAN Calm With Horses

ALAN KIM Minari

LESLIE ODOM JR. One Night in Miami…

CLARKE PETERS Da 5 Bloods

PAUL RACI Sound of Metal

ORIGINAL SCORE

MANK Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

MINARI Emile Mosseri

NEWS OF THE WORLD James Newton Howard

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Anthony Willis

SOUL Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

CASTING

CALM WITH HORSES Shaheen Baig

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Alexa L. Fogel

MINARI Julia Kim

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Lindsay Graham Ahanonu, Mary Vernieu

ROCKS Lucy Pardee

CINEMATOGRAPHY

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Sean Bobbitt

MANK Erik Messerschmidt

THE MAURITANIAN Alwin H. Küchler

NEWS OF THE WORLD Dariusz Wolski

NOMADLAND Joshua James Richards

EDITING

THE FATHER Yorgos Lamprinos

NOMADLAND Chloé Zhao

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN Frédéric Thoraval

SOUND OF METAL Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 Alan Baumgarten

PRODUCTION DESIGN

THE DIG Maria Djurkovic, Tatiana Macdonald

THE FATHER Peter Francis, Cathy Featherstone

MANK Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale

NEWS OF THE WORLD David Crank, Elizabeth Keenan

REBECCA Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer

COSTUME DESIGN

AMMONITE Michael O’Connor

THE DIG Alice Babidge

EMMA. Alexandra Byrne

MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM Ann Roth

MANK Trish Summerville

MAKE UP & HAIR

THE DIG Jenny Shircore

HILLBILLY ELEGY Patricia Dehaney, Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle

MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM Matiki Anoff, Larry M. Cherry, Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal

MANK Kimberley Spiteri, Gigi Williams

PINOCCHIO Mark Coulier

SOUND

GREYHOUND TBC

NEWS OF THE WORLD Michael Fentum, William Miller, Mike Prestwood Smith, John Pritchett, Oliver Tarney

NOMADLAND Sergio Diaz, Zach Seivers, M. Wolf Snyder

SOUL Coya Elliott, Ren Klyce, David Parker

SOUND OF METAL Jaime Baksht, Nicolas Becker, Phillip Bladh, Carlos Cortés, Michelle Couttolenc

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

GREYHOUND Pete Bebb, Nathan McGuinness, Sebastian von Overheidt

THE MIDNIGHT SKY Matt Kasmir, Chris Lawrence, David Watkins

MULAN Sean Faden, Steve Ingram, Anders Langlands, Seth Maury

THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN Santiago Colomo Martinez, Nick Davis, Greg Fisher

TENET Scott Fisher, Andrew Jackson, Andrew Lockley

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION

THE FIRE NEXT TIME Renaldho Pelle, Yanling Wang, Kerry Jade Kolbe

THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT Mole Hill, Laura Duncalf

THE SONG OF A LOST BOY Daniel Quirke, Jamie MacDonald, Brid Arnstein

BRITISH SHORT FILM

EYELASH Jesse Lewis Reece, Ike Newman

LIZARD Akinola Davies, Rachel Dargavel, Wale Davies

LUCKY BREAK John Addis, Rami Sarras Pantoja

MISS CURVY Ghada Eldemellawy

THE PRESENT Farah Nabulsi

EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)

BUKKY BAKRAY

KINGSLEY BEN-ADIR

MORFYDD CLARK

ṢỌPẸ DÌRÍSÙ

CONRAD KHAN
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Cool nods.. .Diversity with a capital D :P

And four female directors nominated which is amazing.

And is that disappointment I hear on this board?

Will the Baftas now revert back to their old self next year when there are shouts of "Baftas so Black"? No they won't shout as nobody is allowed to do that anymore. But there will be whispers.

The system is now clearly all screwed up thanks to the hysteria over the diversity issue. This is no surprise. It was bound to happen. Interesting actors and films have been brought to the forefront. Good for them but there IS going to be a major backlash over this outcome.

Pity Precious Doll is no longer here. I'm sure he must have seen most of these nominees.
Last edited by Reza on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Now what the heck was that!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

BAFTA is back to being utterly useless. So much British, so little predictive quality. Might as well forget about them being an Oscar barometer this year and disregard anything they decide as helping us figure out where Oscar voting will go. They won't be giving us this year's Tilda Swinton, either.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
andrew
Graduate

Post by andrew »

That's what you get when you let juries decide the "nominations."

If you look at the Best Film category that is what the general membership voted for as it didn't have a jury.
Okri
Tenured

BAFTA stuff.

Post by Okri »

No Carey Mulligan. No Gary Oldman.

A really interesting slate overall that seems less interested in being a "precursor" than normal.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”