GG: Best Drama Actor

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: GG: Best Drama Actor

Post by OscarGuy »

Exactly, DWS. One Night in Miami is such a better film because, in spite of its claustrophobic setting, Regina King opened that play up tremendously and made it feel like something broader and more accessible than Ma Rainey's. George Wolfe starts off really well with that scene in the forest with two black men running with the sound of dogs in the distance. It feels like it's the Antebellum South, but we see them instead running away from something, towards something and that's emblematic of the liberating aspect of Ma Rainey's charisma and the impetus for the film. From there, it just seems to lay there. It never lives up to that early promise.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:It was a tremendous performance even if the surrounding film wasn't that great. It might have played better on the stage, though. That's my problem with the film is that it never opens up beyond the stage material. That said, Boseman does a wonderful job within the limitations of the film itself. No need to be nasty just because you aren't a fan.
I thought it actually played better without being opened up. The claustrophobic setting added to the drama between the two protagonists and with the other characters.
I don't think they necessarily had to open it up to translate it better for film. I agree that the claustrophobic setting (could have) added to the tension, but I still don't think that the filmmakers managed to adapt it well for film--it seemed to be, let's translate this as faithfully as possibly, without taking into account differences between theater and film, without scaling the performances appropriately; I think they could've used the limited setting and still ended up with a much more cinematic product than they did. (Wolfe's Lackawanna Blues never felt like a stage adaptation, but it was based on a one-man show, so there was no way to adapt it without fully reimagining it.)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:
mlrg wrote
But I think I’m entitled to dislike the film and the performance, wether or not Mr Boseman has passed away.
Absolutely. But I'm also entitled to put it out there that we should remember to have a little respect if I don't think it's being shown.
Absolutely
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:It was a tremendous performance even if the surrounding film wasn't that great. It might have played better on the stage, though. That's my problem with the film is that it never opens up beyond the stage material. That said, Boseman does a wonderful job within the limitations of the film itself. No need to be nasty just because you aren't a fan.
I thought it actually played better without being opened up. The claustrophobic setting added to the drama between the two protagonists and with the other characters.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
But I think I’m entitled to dislike the film and the performance, wether or not Mr Boseman has passed away.
Absolutely. But I'm also entitled to put it out there that we should remember to have a little respect if I don't think it's being shown.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was a tremendous performance even if the surrounding film wasn't that great. It might have played better on the stage, though. That's my problem with the film is that it never opens up beyond the stage material. That said, Boseman does a wonderful job within the limitations of the film itself. No need to be nasty just because you aren't a fan.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:Let's have a little respect, okay? He's an enormously talented actor who passed away.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Let's have a little respect, okay? He's an enormously talented actor who passed away.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Dreadful performance in a dreadful film

But he will win the Oscar
OscarGuy
Site Admin

GG: Best Drama Actor

Post by OscarGuy »

Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Wesley Lovell

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”