The Golden Globes Predictions Contest

For the films of 2020
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The Golden Globes Predictions Contest

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Anthony Hopkins has never won a Globe for acting despite 8 nominations. This may well be his last acting nod.

Something to think about when making our predictions.

Although he was given the DeMille.
Good point, but they don't love him as much as they do Glenn Close who will likely win her fourth Golden Globe out of fourteen nominations.

Hopkins, whose seven of eight nominations are for film, is up against the powerhouse performances of Riz Ahmed and the late Chadwick Boseman, so it's not like he can sail to victory unlike Close who is up against weaker competition.

Close, unlike Jodie Foster, who they also love, and Hopkins, does not have a DeMille. Eight of her fourteen nominations were for TV work and one was for writing a song for Albert Nobbs. Two of her three wins were for TV. The Wife was her only win for film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Anthony Hopkins has never won a Globe for acting despite 8 nominations. This may well be his last acting nod.

Something to think about when making our predictions.

Although he was given the DeMille.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA: The Trial of the Chicago 7
BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY: Hamilton
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA: Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (RU: Anthony Hopkins)
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA: Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY: Andy Samberg, Palm Springs
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE: Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami (RU: Sacha Baron Cohen)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE: Amanda Seyfried, Mank
BEST DIRECTOR FOR A MOTION PICTURE: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
BEST SCREENPLAY FOR A MOTION PICTURE: Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7
BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: Minari
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Soul
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A MOTION PICTURE: Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste, Soul
BEST ORIGINAL SONG FOR A MOTION PICTURE: "Hear My Voice", The Trial of the Chicago 7

BONUS QUESTION: Anthony Hopkins.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Motion Picture: Drama: The Trial of the Chicago 7
Best Motion Picture: Comedy or Musical: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Best International Film: Minari
Best Animated Film: Wolfwalkers
Best Actor: Drama:Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
(runner up: Anthony Hopkins, The Father)
Best Actor: Comedy or Musical: Sasha Baron Cohen, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Best Actress: Drama: Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
Best Actress: Comedy or Musical: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto, The Little Things
Best Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman, The Father
Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
Best Screenplay: Promising Young Woman
Best Original Score: Soul
Best Original Song: "Speak Now" (One Night in Miami)
I don't believe in Bonus Answers
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: BONUS ANSWER
1 (because there is always one!)
You have to give a name. Which one?
I knew that was too easy!

I withdraw my answer but I still think there will be one, I just can't figure out which one.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote: BONUS ANSWER
1 (because there is always one!)
You have to give a name. Which one?
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I’m not on the “hated it” side of Promising Young Woman. I think it’s a fairly entertaining black comedy. It’s well edited and Mulligan deserves a nomination (my wife on the other hand absolutely loathed the film). My prediction of it winning best picture is very much in line with Reza. It’s the current zeitgeist and cultural political correctness we are going through.

And although I haven’t seen Kaluuya yet it seems the type of performance that gets recognized with no other option in sight (not saying that it’s not deserved). If Hollywood really wants to reward Boseman they should do it for anything other than that dreadful Ma Raynes film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
I'm mixed on most films this year but I see Promising Young Woman as a black comedy, not a serious drama, which makes its Globe placement seem a little odd. In fact, it's the only comedy this year that I thought was truly outstanding, which makes it stand out more than it otherwise might. At this point, I would be surprised if it doesn't win the Globe even if it is in the wrong category.
Let's not forget a couple of years ago when Bohemian Rhapsody won for Best Drama while Green Book won for Best Comedy or Musical.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
The less I say about Promising the better. Unfortunately there are too many hysterical people on this board and I don't want them to get into a frenzy and start frothing at their mouths and wetting their pants :P
I'm confused. I don't really like the film. It sounds like I might like it less than you. Neither does Daniel. Magilla is mixed. Flipp and Wes like it quite a bit, but there's twice as many people that seem to agree with you about the film.

Is it because you said "hysterical?" It sounds like you're creating something on this board that doesn't exist. Or rather, it sounds like you like the idea of being persecuted for your thoughts when you're not. That said, if it's fun for you to pretend like you're being attacked, I guess you can do whatever you want.

I was just wondering why you're predicting the film. I think you might be right that the HFP ends up going with it. And you might be right in your reasoning as well.
I'm mixed on most films this year but I see Promising Young Woman as a black comedy, not a serious drama, which makes its Globe placement seem a little odd. In fact, it's the only comedy this year that I thought was truly outstanding, which makes it stand out more than it otherwise might. At this point, I would be surprised if it doesn't win the Globe even if it is in the wrong category.

The comedy nominations, on the other hand, are not very strong. Who would have thought we'd be predicting the Borat sequel to sweep its category? Yet, there is really no other choice in any of the three categories unless they pull a surprise and give Best Actress to Michelle Pfeiffer, which I don't see happening.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
They would be fools not to give Kaluuya the award for his brilliant performance. His sole nod is not going to hurt his chances. I think the film will get many nods by the Academy.
Well, I hope you're right about Judas... getting many nods. I watched it again. It really is quite good.
I think normally it's a bad bet to expect the HFPA to give a prime award to a film without other nominations, unless it's a highly-touted name player, like Julianne Moore/Still Alice, or Glenn Close/The Wife.

But...the weirdness of this year, and the oddball release schedule, might make this year an exception. Judas and the Black Messiah was held back in a way you never really see these days, but it seems to be breaking out, with critics and audiences. It came too late for the TV awards' groups to give it anything beyond the obvious Kaluuya nod, but I think the film has aroused the kind of excitement that late arrivals like The Madness of King George and Dead Man Walking did, years back. Our current system -- the compressed schedule and Broadcast Critics/bloggers' domination of the nomination process working against late entrants -- would normally have hobbled its chances of major Oscar nods. But the COVID rule-adjustments may make this more like an old-time year, where late surprises were more plentiful.

Which is to say, I think Judas COULD possibly do better with the Academy than its precursor count would suggest, and the HFPA, having caught wind of that (or just having belatedly caught up with the movie), might give Kaluuya the prize he (to my mind) richly deserves.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
The less I say about Promising the better. Unfortunately there are too many hysterical people on this board and I don't want them to get into a frenzy and start frothing at their mouths and wetting their pants :P
I'm confused. I don't really like the film. It sounds like I might like it less than you. Neither does Daniel. Magilla is mixed. Flipp and Wes like it quite a bit, but there's twice as many people that seem to agree with you about the film.

Is it because you said "hysterical?" It sounds like you're creating something on this board that doesn't exist. Or rather, it sounds like you like the idea of being persecuted for your thoughts when you're not. That said, if it's fun for you to pretend like you're being attacked, I guess you can do whatever you want.

I was just wondering why you're predicting the film. I think you might be right that the HFP ends up going with it. And you might be right in your reasoning as well.
Reza wrote
I didn't think much of Palm Springs so don't get the adulation for Samberg. And I hated Borat and watched only about 30 minutes of it but it is another film that seems to have touched the American nerve. Sacha is a big part of the film's success so he will win.
That makes sense.
Reza wrote
They would be fools not to give Kaluuya the award for his brilliant performance. His sole nod is not going to hurt his chances. I think the film will get many nods by the Academy.
Well, I hope you're right about Judas... getting many nods. I watched it again. It really is quite good.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I didn't think much of Palm Springs so don't get the adulation for Samberg. And I hated Borat and watched only about 30 minutes of it but it is another film that seems to have touched the American nerve. Sacha is a big part of the film's success so he will win.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
"Promising" because I got flak for my comments on it here (although I liked it well enough). It is a "politically correct" movie about a very un-politically correct subject which suits the mood of your Country today. Nobody can question or comment on anything anymore before being labeled racist, pro-rape or homophobic by Americans of a certain generation who have massive chips on their shoulder, have lost the ability to laugh and are shark-like in their intensity to judge based on what THEY conceive to be a misjudged observation.

The film has the zeitgeist factor going for it.
Okay, interesting. I thought it was because you went on Goldderby or something.

So, I have a question: when you say you got flak for your comments, you mean when you wrote:
I found the whole premise quite prepostrous and just didn't buy into the scenario. Too many potholes in the plot. The film has an important message but says it in such a hysterical way that the whole film seems quite ludicrous. Carey Mulligan is not bad but clearly miscast.

I prefer both McDormand and Kirby in their movies. I'm rooting for Kirby to win the Oscar. Michelle Pfeiffer might get late traction once her film opens and gets to the head of the list on sentimental reasons
Reza wrote
Kaluuya easily gave the best performance amongst the nominees. Sacha will be an easy win in the Comedy/Musical category while Murray, Leto and especially Odom Jr were all very ordinary in their films. If Boseman had been nominated here for Da 5 Bloods I would have had a hard time choosing between him and Kaluuya. Love both performances.
I like your logic. I agree that Daniel Kaluuya gave the best of the nominated performances (I've seen the film again; he might give my favorite of all the nominated performances). I am wondering if Sasha Baron Cohen will win for Supporting while Andy Samberg wins for Palm Springs. I also wonder if Kaluuya being a sole nominee hurts his chances.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
CAREY MULLIGAN PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
RIZ AHMED SOUND OF METAL

BEST MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
MARIA BAKALOVA BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
SACHA BARON COHEN BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM

BEST MOTION PICTURE – ANIMATED
SOUL

BEST MOTION PICTURE – FOREIGN LANGUAGE
MINARI

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
GLENN CLOSE HILLBILLY ELEGY

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
DANIEL KALUUYA JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH

BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE
CHLOÉ ZHAO NOMADLAND

BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE
EMERALD FENNELL PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE
SOUL

BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE
“SPEAK NOW” — ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI

BONUS ANSWER
ANSWER WITHDRAWN
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Reza, you usually do pretty well with these awards. Can I ask why you see Promising Young Woman taking this? And why Kaluuya?
"Promising" because I got flak for my comments on it here (although I liked it well enough except for that absurd third act twist). It is a "politically correct" movie about a very un-politically correct subject which suits the mood of your Country today. Nobody can question or comment on anything anymore before being labeled racist, pro-rape or homophobic by Americans of a certain generation who have massive chips on their shoulder, have lost the ability to laugh and are shark-like in their intensity to judge based on what THEY perceive to be a misjudged observation.

The film has the zeitgeist factor going for it although I would personally not nominate it for best picture at all. I absolutely love Nomadland and would like it to win.

Kaluuya easily gave the best performance amongst the nominees. Sacha will be an easy win in the Comedy/Musical category while Murray, Leto and especially Odom Jr were all very ordinary in their films. If Boseman had been nominated here for Da 5 Bloods I would have had a hard time choosing between him and Kaluuya. Love both performances.
Last edited by Reza on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”