VFX Long List

For the films of 2019
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: VFX Long List

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I thought it was bad enough that CATS made the Oscar shortlist for Visual Effects just based off the clips I saw of the horrendous CGI, but now I am reading what the Oscar voters saw were unfinished effects with major errors! What a fucking joke that this shit show made it to the shortlist over the far more impressive visual effects in AD ASTRA. Did Universal Studios buy their way onto the list? :evil:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:The Lion King wins this one
I can see where you'd make that argument, seeing The Jungle Book won. But...1) that was the beginning of the "let's remake all our cartoons as live action" era, not now, when everyone's sick of the trend; 2) a whole lot of critics specifically hated the film's look; 3) the movie, while fiscally successful by any normal measure, probably fell short of Disney's number-one-of-the-year ambitions; and 4) small point, but Jungle Book was taken from a classic piece of literature and thus had a somewhat greater degree of literary respectability.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Lion King wins this one
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Voters in recent years have mostly avoided the fantastical/action genre in favor of whatever film veered closest to a serious movie. (Interstellar the nearest to an exception, but even it triumphed over Rise of the Planet of the Apes) Ad Astra felt like the closest to that this year, and, in its absence, only 1917 or The Irishman could keep that trend going. The Irishman I seriously doubt, but maybe 1917? Otherwise, Marvel might finally get its long-sought Oscar.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

VFX Shortlist

“Alita: Battle Angel”
“Avengers: Endgame”
“Captain Marvel”
“Cats”
“Gemini Man”
“The Irishman”
“The Lion King”
“1917”
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
“Terminator: Dark Fate”
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:I've seen 8 and I'm only interested in seeing Cats & 1917. Late edit: Star Wars makes 3 films I want to see.
Ditto - yes, can't miss the final episode of Star Wars.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've seen 8 and I'm only interested in seeing Cats & 1917. Late edit: Star Wars makes 3 films I want to see.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Have already seen 13 and the only two others I'm interested in are Cats and 1917.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've seen 5, will likely see 3 or 4 more.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My only reaction to this list is wondering how many stinkers I'm going to have to subject myself to between now and February. I've seen 6 of the 20, fully expect to see 2 more, and just hope to god most of the nominees come from that 8. The rest of the list looks truly dire.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

VFX Long List

Post by Sabin »

THIS IS THE LONG LIST

“Ad Astra”
“The Aeronauts”
“Aladdin”
“Alita: Battle Angel”
“Avengers: Endgame”
“Captain Marvel”
“Cats”
“Dumbo”
“Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“Gemini Man”
“The Irishman”
“Jumanji: The Next Level”
“The Lion King”
“Men in Black: International”
“Midway”
“1917”
“Spider-Man: Far from Home”
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
“Terminator: Dark Fate”

My hunches as of this moment are: Ad Astra, Avengers: Endgame, The Irishman, The Lion King, and Star Wars. But 1917 could also get in.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”