Pre-Christmas Look at the Top Races

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Christmas Look at the Top Races

Post by Big Magilla »

Jodie Foster in Nell wasn't mute. She spoke her own language.

Patty Duke was mute except for that one word in The Miracle Worker.

It could happen with Hawkins, though. Neither Jane Wyman nor Marlee Matlin were favored to win. Wyman was up against Olivia de Havilland in The Snake Pit and Matlin was up against Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue Got Married. Only Holly Hunter in The Piano was an out-and-out favorite.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Max von Sydow, but he is a man.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Greg wrote:One thing I have thought about in relation to Sally Hawkins chances of winning Best Actress is, as far as I know, everyone nominated for Best Actress for playing a mute character, Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin, and Holly Hunter, has won. Does anyone know if there were other Best Actress nominations for playing mute characters and if they won or lost?
I can think of Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown and Rinko Kikuchi in Babel, both losing in supporting. In leading I haven’t seen Nell, but does Jodie Foster fit in this criteria? In her case she was not going to win because of her two previous victories and that she was nominated the year after Hunter won. Anyway, I buy your argument but I have a hunch this year they will go with McDormand’s second (and no one will complain). That’s a great performance and a very colorful and strong female character.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

One thing I have thought about in relation to Sally Hawkins chances of winning Best Actress is, as far as I know, everyone nominated for Best Actress for playing a mute character, Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin, and Holly Hunter, has won. Does anyone know if there were other Best Actress nominations for playing mute characters and if they won or lost?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Speaking of great dancing, Walken should have been nominated in support for Pennies from Heaven.

Rockwell had some fun, cute dance moves during his SNL opening monologue last night.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:A quick word on Sam Rockwell. I don't know about you guys, but there's really only one person out there that this guy reminds me of: Christopher Walken. Both of them are known for playing dangerous people. Weirdos. Sometimes they're scumbags, sometimes pathological liars. Walken's baddies tend to run a bit sinister and Rockwell's tend to be a bit more roguish, but they're both known for making us understand and even like deeply wounded people. They both won on their first nominations for Best Picture winners.

And they're both great dancers.

And they are both great actors. Sam Rockwell may even be a bit better than Christopher Walken - or at least he maybe has a slightly wider range.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A quick word on Sam Rockwell. I don't know about you guys, but there's really only one person out there that this guy reminds me of: Christopher Walken. Both of them are known for playing dangerous people. Weirdos. Sometimes they're scumbags, sometimes pathological liars. Walken's baddies tend to run a bit sinister and Rockwell's tend to be a bit more roguish, but they're both known for making us understand and even like deeply wounded people. They both won on their first nominations for Best Picture winners.

And they're both great dancers.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bennett Miller for Foxcatcher is the only director since the expansion to ten whose film didn't get a corresponding Best Picture nomination, so it's possible that someone from a non-Best Picture nominee could be nominated, but it's a remote possibility.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think James Gray would make a great out of the blue choice for the Academy.

The poor man can't seem to get a break over the years. He is clearly talented but his films have all failed at the box-office for a number of reasons.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wild card for Best Director: Craig Gillespie for 'I, Tonya.'

Everybody I'm talking to loves the film. It seems to be over-performing at the Guilds. It's a big, flashy Scorsese-aping mini-epic that plays just fine at home. Is the director's branch looking to honor one of their own? He's a journeyman director with commercials and music videos under his belt. It won't make me happy but it could happen.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Too bad Cynthia Nixon can’t slip in for A Quiet Passion.
Maybe if we keep repeating this it will happen :)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Too bad Cynthia Nixon can’t slip in for A Quiet Passion.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:Annette Bening for 'Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.' Or is it 'Film Stars Never Die in Liverpool' or 'Always Die in Liverpool?' I forget. Anyway, she got a BAFTA, but the more major thing if note is she wasn't up for an award within the past twelve months for '20th Century Women' so that could possibly carry over. (Four previous nominations)
The title, which is supposed to be either ironic or sarcastic, or both, refers to the situation in which two of Gloria Grahame's children had her removed from her deathbed in Liverpool over the objections of Peter Turner (Jamie Bell) and his family and accompanied her to New York where she died at St. Vincent's Hospital a few hours after arriving because "film stars don't die in Liverpool."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

... I did forget about the PGA nomination even though you mentioned it. Hmm...

This weekend is stuffed with movies opening I want to see, so maybe I'll check it out.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
I dunno Sabin - those nominations for Molly's Game seem like small potatoes. The writer's had basically nobody to vote for; Aaron Sorkin feels like a big name debut director and I don't know how much a get ACE really is. I think Streep's shaky for the fifth slot, but we've said that about her before - heck, she even beat Chastain to a 5th slot (2014).
Don't forget it got a PGA nomination. Meryl Streep is probably the favorite, but 'The Post' underperforming while 'Molly's Game' is over-performing.
OscarGuy wrote
I know you hate The Post, but you just described Streep's character as well.
Sure.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”