Armie Hammer vs. Scott Rudin

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Armie Hammer vs. Scott Rudin

Post by Precious Doll »

We have had these sorts of tactics used before by Harvey and I agree that they are inappropriate.

There are plenty of people reporting on the internet these days to dig past scandals up without the help of anyone from Hollywood.

In Nate Parker's case some details were reported soon after Sundance and Fox Searchlight were naive to think that it wouldn't resurface down the track. After all major details were on the public record. I think the big crunch came with the revelation that the victim had taken her own life a few years earlier.

Hammer handled James Woods trolling on Twitter very well. But he dropped the ball big time here with Nate Parker. He should have taken the Kate Winslet route - no comment.

Personally, despite my own disdain for Parkers film I think had it not been for his past actions, the film probably would have gone on to earn a few Oscar nominations. In spite of all that Parker did receive a nomination for the DGA for best first film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't at all disagree with what you guys have said, but the purpose of the thread was to draw attention to the behind-the-scenes campaign smarminess that no one wants to talk about.

If Scott Rudin is the one who spread the details about Parker because he was genuinely offended, then so be it, but if he is the one who did it, and did it as Hammer suggests, to bury the competition, that's dead wrong. In the end, Birth of a Nation may have failed on its own, but that was then, this is now. I would hate to see dirty tricks employed to push Call Be by Your Name out of the way so that Lady Bird can beat it to the finish line at the Oscars. Both films, as well as all the other major contenders, should succeed or fail on their merits, not because of some underhanded backstabbing crap.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Hammer stated in relation to Parker “Nate had stuff in his past, which is heinous and tough to get beyond. I get that,” Hammer continued. “But that was when he was 18, and now he’s in director’s jail." - I've omitted the rest which relates to Casey Affleck because I felt it was an unnecessary low blow to Affleck.

Hammer clearly doesn't get it. He is a privileged fool and this thread's title should be changed to Armie Hammer is a Jerk.

Being 18 was NO excuse for what Nate Parker did. Age is no excuse for anyone committing something so heinous - using Hammers own words.

Tens of thousands of people around the world aspire to be part of the entertainment industry (I've never been one of them). Most don't get the breaks. Those that do are very privileged. By his own actions there is no place in such a desired industry for the likes of Parker.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So, I’m going to throw this out there. I don’t think he’s done talking. I’m not sure he’s done burying himself. These are two very petty responses within a short period of time. Only time will tell. He’s mostly gotten off the hook. But this is a bad look for somebody that most people haven’t really formed an opinion on yet. They mostly know him as the Winklevi, it looks like typecasting.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Not a good look at all for Armie. I hope this doesn’t fuck up his chances of getting nominated this year because I do think he deserves one.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This story sucks for Armie Hammer.

Whether it's true or not...who cares? It makes him look like he values his own career more than a woman getting raped. What's Hammer's point? "If this story had been out there sooner, then I would've gotten an Oscar?" He can't be saying "If this story came out later and closer to the Academy Awards, I would've gotten an Oscar?" or even worse "If this story didn't come out..." The optics of this piece are lousy.

Armie Hammer needs to shut the fuck up. Going after Buzzfeed was a pretty dumb move but he was mostly exonerated for it because admittedly it was a pretty mean article to begin with. But his perspective was a bit tone deaf. Buzzfeed asks the question "How many chances does a young, white actor get?" and his response was "I JUST DO WHAT I LOVE EVERYDAY! THAT'S WHY I'M FAMOUS!" excluding the enormous leg-up you get when your great-grandfather is a petroleum giant. The appropriate response would have been something humorous, like a Tweet saying "I know! And what's with his name?" if anything at all.

Dumb move.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Armie Hammer vs. Scott Rudin

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”