List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film (coming soon)

bizarre
Assistant

Re: List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film (coming soon)

Post by bizarre »

These are starting to roll out. 10 countries have released their submissions so far, with nothing really standing out except for The Square as Sweden's submission (probably a likely winner) and Racer and the Jailbird as Belgium's. Germany has picked In the Fade, which honestly I think will be a non-starter but who knows with the committee system.

I'll make another post and keep it updated.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film (coming soon)

Post by Precious Doll »

Link to Wikipedia though no submission listed yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... guage_Film
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Most of The Square is in Swedish. Though Elizabeth Moss, Dominic West & Terry Notary received equal top billing in the opening credits the real star of the film is Claes Bang. Moss has 4 or 5 screens, West has 2 & Notary has 1(maybe briefly in another). Everything else is in Swedish and even some of the scenes with English speaking actors have Swedish spoken (the Dominic West Q&A being a case in point).

mlrg,

I wasn't too taken with Saint George, as I felt we have seen this kind of thing before but it does build to the shocking climatic scene which jolted me out of a sense of tedium. Actually think this has a good chance of making the shortlist.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

I think too much of The Square is in English for it to qualify here.

Cuaron's Roma if it's any good will probably contend for Mexico.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:Sorry about the, at this time, fake headline though announcements from various countries will begin late July/earl August and once Wikipedia have a page dedicated to this topic I'll post a direct link.

I thought I might have try and predict what films countries will submit. Given that Venice, Berlin & Cannes were not stellar years I shouldn't be too hard in some cases and downright impossible for others. These are subject to release dates within their respective countries, which could change from currently known data.

What I've seen (which does help to some degree):

Afghanistan: Wolf and Sheep
Austria: Happ End (Amour was an Austrian entry so this may be eligible as well)
Chile: A Fantastic Woman
Egypt: The Nile Hilton Incident (though this film is really a Danish production and was filmed in Morocco so I think I'm clutching at straws here)
Georgia: My Happy Home
Germany: In the Fade (provided the German release date is pushed forward from November to the qualifying period)
Hungary: On Body and Soul
Poland: Spoor
Portugal: Saint George
Romania: Ana, mon amour
Senegal: Felicite (though this could be Congo's entry)
Singapore: Pop Aye
Sweden: The Square (though they could select Sami Blood, which I understand to be very good)
Turkey: Kedi

Haven't seen but appears to be 'high profile' enough for serious consideration:

Argentina: The Summit
Brazil: Vazante
Bulgaria: Glory
Finland: The Other Side of Hope
France: 120 Beats Per Minute
Iran: A Man of Integrity
Mexico: April's Daughter
New Zealand: One Thousand Ropes
Russia: Loveless (unless Trump's good mate Putin intervenes and selects something stodgy)
What's your opinion about Saint George?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film (coming soon)

Post by Precious Doll »

Sorry about the, at this time, fake headline though announcements from various countries will begin late July/earl August and once Wikipedia have a page dedicated to this topic I'll post a direct link.

I thought I might have try and predict what films countries will submit. Given that Venice, Berlin & Cannes were not stellar years I shouldn't be too hard in some cases and downright impossible for others. These are subject to release dates within their respective countries, which could change from currently known data.

What I've seen (which does help to some degree):

Afghanistan: Wolf and Sheep
Austria: Happ End (Amour was an Austrian entry so this may be eligible as well)
Chile: A Fantastic Woman
Egypt: The Nile Hilton Incident (though this film is really a Danish production and was filmed in Morocco so I think I'm clutching at straws here)
Georgia: My Happy Home
Germany: In the Fade (provided the German release date is pushed forward from November to the qualifying period)
Hungary: On Body and Soul
Poland: Spoor
Portugal: Saint George
Romania: Ana, mon amour
Senegal: Felicite (though this could be Congo's entry)
Singapore: Pop Aye
Sweden: The Square (though they could select Sami Blood, which I understand to be very good)
Turkey: Kedi

Haven't seen but appears to be 'high profile' enough for serious consideration:

Argentina: The Summit
Brazil: Vazante
Bulgaria: Glory
Finland: The Other Side of Hope
France: 120 Beats Per Minute
Iran: A Man of Integrity
Mexico: April's Daughter
New Zealand: One Thousand Ropes
Russia: Loveless (unless Trump's good mate Putin intervenes and selects something stodgy)

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”