The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:The hard to see Navajo (1952), nominated for best cinematography (black & white), is available on YouTube. It looks like it taken from a VHS tape that it is very good condition, though what little dialogue this is is out of synch. Most of the film is told in voice over.
Navajo was also nominated in the Documentary Feature category.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The hard to see Navajo (1952), nominated for best cinematography (black & white), is available on YouTube. It looks like it taken from a VHS tape that it is very good condition, though what little dialogue this is is out of synch. Most of the film is told in voice over.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Precious Doll wrote:Skyscraper (1928) nominated for 'Best Writing' is available on YouTube.
Wow, thanks for this. That one was on my list of nominees I assumed I'd never find in a million years (along with a bunch from that year.)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Skyscraper (1928) nominated for 'Best Writing' is available on YouTube.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

For those of you with access to Amazon Prime, the complete miniseries version of Robert Atlman's Vincent and Theo is available on streaming.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Alert for Oscar completists:

2AM ET Monday March 26th, TCM is showing The Walls of Malapaga, which won the then-honorary best foreign film award for 1950.

It's followed immediately by Renoir's French Cancan, which I've never seen but has a solid reputation.

A Jean Gabin fest.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

With Byrd at the South Pole was long available on VHS and DVD, but is now out of print.

It was a big box-office success in the early 1930s and in the late 1940s and early 1950s was a staple of films shown in schools. I saw it in the first or second grade at an event held in the school's auditorium in lieu of classes one Friday afternoon. It used to show up on the Late Show when the Late Show meant movies, not talk shows. It was filmed between 1928 and 1930. It deftly bridged the gap between silent films and talkies, starting out as a silent film with title cards and ending up with informative narration over the last fifteen minutes or so. It's quite riveting, and richly deserved its cinematography win.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

An early alert to one we'll need when we get to 1930's cinematography race, and which I doubt many will have seen:

Thursday, October 19th, 8AM ET: With Byrd at the South Pole

...which might even be of historical interest. Or a complete bore; who knows? But an opportunity like this, an Oscar completist can't pass up.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Cinderella Liberty (1973) comes on tonight at 10pm on TCM. Not necessarily an obscure, hard-to-locate but it does feature Marsha Mason in a performance that netted her her first Oscar nomination (for those missing that on).
Mason was pretty big during her years with Neil Simon - her 4 nominations attest to that. I liked her although she's now pretty much ridiculed not unlike Norma Shearer to a certain extent. Probably because of their association with a more famous husband.
Or possibly because she wasn't a very good actress.

This performance in Cinderella Liberty is actually the exception, for me -- it, and maybe Blume in Love, are the only times I genuinely liked her.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Cinderella Liberty (1973) comes on tonight at 10pm on TCM. Not necessarily an obscure, hard-to-locate but it does feature Marsha Mason in a performance that netted her her first Oscar nomination (for those missing that on).
Mason was pretty big during her years with Neil Simon - her 4 nominations attest to that. I liked her although she's now pretty much ridiculed not unlike Norma Shearer to a certain extent. Probably because of their association with a more famous husband.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Cinderella Liberty (1973) comes on tonight at 10pm on TCM. Not necessarily an obscure, hard-to-locate but it does feature Marsha Mason in a performance that netted her her first Oscar nomination (for those missing that on).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm wondering how close Christopher Walken might've been to a supporting nomination for Pennies from Heaven that year. As I recall, he has a pretty great cameo in which he's dancing in the rain. He was still a pretty recent winner in that category at the time so I can't imagine him not, at least, being on the edges of the conversation for that not-particularly-competitive race.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I see they've added a couple of shorts.

5:00 AM
Pennies from Heaven (1981)

A traveling salesman's music-inspired dreams lead to tragedy.
Dir: Herbert Ross Cast:  Steve Martin , Bernadette Peters , Christopher Walken .
C-108 mins, CC,
20 Monday
6:50 AM
Cavalcade Of The Academy Awards (1940)

This short film presents the awards ceremony for the 1939 Academy Awards. Vitaphone Release 9780-9783.

C-30 mins,
7:24 AM
Main Street On The March! (1941)

This short film focuses on America's changing mood to events leading up to WWII.
Dir: Edward L. Cahn Cast:  May McAvoy , Mark Daniels , Robert Blake .
BW-20 mins,
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Something's a little off with TCM here. Pennies from Heaven runs 81 minutes. It's not going to fill a two hour and forty-five minute time slot. You might want to tune in at 5 A.M. on the 20th to see what they're really doing with it.
It's not the Crosby Pennies from Heaven; rather, the Steve Martin one, which runs somewhat longer (108 minutes), but still well short of the 2:45 time slot that was meant to contain The Patent Leather Kid.

By "tune in at 5AM", I presume you mean DVR it; I haven't seen 5AM from the wake-up side in a long time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't realize The Patent Leather Kid was that obscure. I've had it on DVD for years, but I don't think it's the complete version which is supposed to run 150 minutes.

Something's a little off with TCM here. Pennies from Heaven runs 81 minutes. It's not going to fill a two hour and forty-five minute time slot. You might want to tune in at 5 A.M. on the 20th to see what they're really doing with it.

Return to “The First Century”