Trivia

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Trivia

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:August Wilson holds the longest period between his death and a posthumous Oscar nomination in history, getting a nomination more than 11 years after his death.
Doesn't Larry Russell hold (still) this record?
Yes, you're right. I misread his date of death.
Besides which Larry Russell actually wrote the score for Limelight, but August Wilson did not write a screenplay for Fences. He wrote the play which was filmed pretty much as he wrote it.

If instead of putting his own name on the screenplay for Hamlet and credited it to William Shakespeare, Shakespeare would hold the record at 360 years.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:August Wilson holds the longest period between his death and a posthumous Oscar nomination in history, getting a nomination more than 11 years after his death.
Yes, you're right. I misread his date of death.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

As I figured, the records concerning Black Oscar nominees were demolished this year, see e.g. the Wikipedia page for all the Black nominees.

This year had by far the most Black Oscar nominees in a single year, with 18. The previous record was 8, back in 2006, followed by 1985 and 2009 with 7 each.

This year also saw most Blacks nominated in a single category (5 in Feature Documentary), most Black acting nominees, most Black acting nominees in a single category and the first year there was a Black nominee in each acting category.

Among other trivia (If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will be happy to correct me):

Denis Villeneuve is the first French Canadian to be nominated for Best Director.

I believe Raoul and Hébert Peck are the first Haitian-born Oscar nominees.

I believe Daphne Matziriaki is the first Greek-born Documentary nominee. She is nominated against Dan Krauss, who taught her at Berkeley.

I believe Sing is the first Hungarian film to be nominated in the Live Action Short category.

And here's one that's likely to happen: Damien Chazelle had his 32nd birthday a week ago, so if he wins Best Director, he'll beat Norman Taurog to become the youngest person ever to win that category.

EDIT

Ai-Ling Lee is the first Asian to receive a nomination for Sound Editing and the first woman to receive nominations in both Sound categories. La La Land's Sound Editing nomination is also the first time two women have shared a nomination in this category.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My Life as a Zucchini is most probably the shortest film nominated in the Animated Feature Film category to date.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Octavia Spencer becomes the first black actress to be nominated after she won an oscar.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Joi McMillon, one of the editors of Moonlight is now the first ever black woman to get nominated for Editing. Second black nominee overall (the only other one being Hugh A. Robertson for Midnight Cowboy).
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

August Wilson holds the longest period between his death and a posthumous Oscar nomination in history, getting a nomination more than 11 years after his death.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Is OJ the longest film ever nominated for an Oscar?
How about Shoah?
It wasn't nominated for an Oscar...
I remembered five minutes after I posted... too late.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
How about Shoah?
It wasn't nominated for an Oscar...
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

How about Shoah?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is the first time since 2002 that Warner Bros doesn't have a nominee for Best Picture.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Is OJ the longest film ever nominated for an Oscar?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Michael Bay movies now have 17 collective Oscar nominations, which is the most for a director whose films never got an above the line nomination.

Ron Clements and John Musker's movies now have 15 collective Oscar nominations, which is the most for directors of feature animated films.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Stephen Frears has now directed 8 Oscar nominated performances...all women and no men. That seems like some sort of record.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”