Golden Globe Discussion Thread

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Golden Globe Discussion Thread

Post by Sabin »

anonymous1980 wrote
Actors can and have won without a SAG award. What's difficult is winning without a SAG nomination which Huppert doesn't have. But two have done it: Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock and Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained.
Didn't Django Unchained fail to screen in time for the SAG voters? I could be wrong but I remember something like that.

Harden was from a different era. Screeners weren't the norm back then. Now they are. I could pick apart the Best Supporting Actress field from 2000 but suffice to say it was a very different from the this year's roster of Best Actress contenders.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:
2. ISABELLE HUPPERT
I just don't think an actor can win the Oscar without a SAG award.
Actors can and have won without a SAG award. What's difficult is winning without a SAG nomination which Huppert doesn't have. But two have done it: Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock and Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

To cut right to the big headline-generator, Meryl Streep was terrific. Predictably, Trump went on another of his usual psychotic rants against her, and Kellyanne Conway -- a woman for whom deplorable is almost too kind a word -- went on TV chastising Meryl for the kind of behavior her words could incite. What kind of behavior is that -- compassion toward other human beings? Respect for those who are different than you are? It's mind-boggling that such words could be reduced to a partisan attack by these cretins, but of course, events which boggle the mind have become par for the course in this country lately.

I'm going to have to agree with Italiano on Best Actress -- sadly, I think Natalie is done. Jackie isn't showing up anywhere beyond Best Actress, and her repeated losses to Huppert at the critics prizes and now the Globes certainly don't suggest she's the kind of juggernaut you need to be when your movie really isn't in contention elsewhere. I always thought SAG would be VERY favorable territory for Emma Stone -- literally every actor I know is obsessed with the movie mostly for how well it captures their own life, and Stone's character is the embodiment of that idea -- and should she win there, I imagine she'll become a pretty solid Oscar frontrunner.

Given how amply Natalie Portman has been rewarded in the past, though, it's hard to feel too disappointed, particularly given how nice a career moment this all is for Isabelle Huppert. I still maintain that her winning the Best Actress Oscar seems like a crazy bridge to cross -- a young starlet in a hit romantic comedy vs. a legendary French actress in an arty rape drama feels like a race with an obvious outcome -- but I imagine her nomination is looking very good at this point.

Don't really know what to say about Aaron Taylor-Johnson. I actually like him as an actor, but when he won this prize for this vile thing I let out an audible groan. As for his Oscar chances -- who knows? It still feels like Michael Shannon is a more possible nominee from that film, but there's at least one Supporting Actor spot that feels completely up for grabs at this moment, and it seems like anyone's guess who voters will choose.

La La Land obviously has stronger writing credentials than a lot of earlier musical nominees. Unlike the Broadway adaptations, it created a storyline from scratch, which is far different from plopping a stage show in front of a camera and moving around a song or two. The question on Oscar night will be, is it Return of the King (whose sweep was just so massive it brought along the screenplay prize by centrifugal force) or The Artist (which lost the screenplay prize to a more obvious writer-driven movie)?

I'd thought the star-loving Globes would be more favorable to Lin-Manuel Miranda than Pasek/Paul/Hurwitz, but all that talk about Miranda having his EGOT locked up seemed a little premature, no? (Honestly, if the Moana song was credited to anyone else, I'd think La La Land would win that Oscar category in a walk, and it still might.)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:However, wanting not to be confronted with the mistakes you make would make you an American.......a
:D

Careful, Reza... You might be accused of anti-Americanism like I used to be (and now, after the Trump election, they know that I was right!) :wink:
Hell....even Meryl Streep agreed with you today.

Right!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:However, wanting not to be confronted with the mistakes you make would make you an American.......a

Careful, Reza... You might be accused of anti-Americanism like I used to be (and now, after the Trump election, they know that I was right!) :wink:
Hell....even Meryl Streep agreed with you today.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Am I the only one who though Sarah Jessica Parker was auditioning to take over Carrie Fisher's part in the next Star Wars with that Princess Leia hairdo?
Don't know about the hairdo but what on earth has Parker done to her face? Hope she hasn't gone the Goldie Hawn route.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Being that there is zero overlap in this voting bloc with Academy Awards, I suppose the most you can say about the Golden Globes is: "sometimes they influence the nominees." But there are winners.

1. LA LA LAND
To be honest, I'd rather cite somebody or something else here. La La Land is going to win Best Picture and a lot of other Oscars. It's a done deal. But when something is the biggest winner of all time, it'd be disingenuous not to honor it thusly. It won seven for seven without the advantage of "Best New Star." And it did so basically in every category it was eligible for. Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay, Score, and Song. The only other category it could've been up for is Best Supporting Actor, John Legend.

2. ISABELLE HUPPERT
I just don't think an actor can win the Oscar without a SAG award. On the other hand, Huppert is now more firmly ahead of Emmanuel Riva and Charlotte Rampling with this win and she's doing so in a very competitive year. A career win might still be out of reach but her career nomination seems very likely especially with that charming speech.

3. AARON TAYLOR-JOHNSON
To me, last year's Best Supporting Actor field was the least predictable of my lifetime. That looks like a cakewalk compared to this one. Winning a Golden Globe is visibility, and with his win Aaron Taylor-Johnson just went from "Why is he nominated instead of Michael Shannon?" to "Will Aaron Taylor-Johnson be nominated?" That's a leg-up.

4. ZOOTOPIA
Speaking of a leg-up, there is no real front-runner in the Best Animated Feature realm. The Golden Globe for Best Animated Film has existed for ten years and it has overlapped with the Oscar seven times. They were wrong about Cars, The Adventures of Tintin, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. I doubt there's much a thread here and the race is still anyone's guess but Zootopia had a good night: they won a major award over Moana and Kubo and they made the public case that this garantuan hit also has something on its mind.

Also, I haven't done the math but I'm guessing Animated Features had their biggest year to date this year. Worldwide, Finding Dory, Zootopia, The Secret Life of Pets, and Moana alone made almost three and a half billion dollars worldwide, which doesn't even include Sing, Ice Age: Collision Course, The Angry Birds Movie, Trolls, and Storks.

5. JUSTIN HURWITZ
Sure, Damien Chazelle is some kind of wizard for winning Best Screenplay for a musical, which is the first time that's happened. It's now possible that Hurwitz beats Kenneth Lonergan for the Oscar. But I think a bigger winner is Justin Hurwitz winning Best Original Score and Song. Other years, voters might say "Eh, just throw him an Oscar for Song." Last night, Hurwitz separated the two as individual achievements -- which they are. Musicals are just not likely to win for their musical scores in these existing categories. La La Land isn't just likely for a Best Score nomination, it now has a foothold in as the front-runner. Additionally, Lin-Manuel Miranda's "How Far I'll Go" was always a likelier bet at the Hollywood Foreign Press, where he came up short.

6. FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
How many people popped in their screener at the last minute thanks to Meryl Streep's speech?
(For the record: didn't like Meryl Streep's speech.)

7. CASEY AFFLECK'S LEGAL TEAM
At no point did he thank his legal team. And he should. They've done masterful work. The strangest moment of the night was when Brie Larson looked like she was presenting the Golden Globe to Old Nick.

LOSERS
1. NATALIE PORTMAN
We can't say that Jackie is done until the DGA and the PGA weigh in. It's certainly possible that it plays into both guilds, Natalie Portman wins the SAG, and the rest is history. But right now, that doesn't seem likely. Sure, Emma Stone had less competition in her category but A) she basically dedicated to this award to the Screen Actor's Guild, who B) have really only one opportunity to vote for La La Land on their ballot and that is her. It's possible her chances of winning are inflated and it's possible after Academy members check off La La Land so many times they'll just want to move on, but I don't think so. Amy Adams and Natalie Portman not winning last night was good for Emma Stone.

2. KENNETH LONERGAN & MANCHESTER BY THE SEA AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A VEHICLE FOR CASEY AFFLECK
The Golden Globes don't always choose the best written screenplays. They pick a weird combination of "most written" and "most written by a rock star." Django Unchained, Her, Birdman, Steve Jobs. Sure, this doesn't indicate that Lonergan is going to lose the Academy Award, but the Critic's Choice also prophetically tied Manchester by the Sea with La La Land for Best Original Screenplay. There's a chance Kenneth Lonergan's greatest screenwriting achievement will be seen as writing a part for Casey (or Matt).

3. LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA
Hard to feel too bad for the guy.

4. HACKSAW RIDGE, HELL OR HIGH WATER, LION, & 20TH CENTURY WOMEN
They just tied with Deadpool at the Golden Globes.

SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN
MAHERSHALA ALI & MOONLIGHT
La La Land is most likely going to win the Oscar but it's pretty clear Moonlight is next in line, not by virtue of over-performing at the Golden Globes but by virtue of Manchester by the Sea under-performing. Even its producer seemed surprised to be up there. And the one thing Aaron Taylor-Johnson's win really did isn't knocking Mahershala Ali out of the front-runner position but just denying Moonlight a chance to win for a long time.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Am I the only one who though Sarah Jessica Parker was auditioning to take over Carrie Fisher's part in the next Star Wars with that Princess Leia hairdo?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Uri wrote:And a stage play: Audrey Hepburn, who was handpicked by Colette herself, was starring in it on Broadway back in 1954 when she won her Oscar for Roman Holiday. That was one of the few years the awards were given both in LA and NY, so Hepburn finished her performance and rushed from the theater to collect her award still wearing her stage makeup.

Reza write:
Actually Hepburn was on Broadway in "Gigi" in 1951. In 1954 she was appearing on Broadway in "Ondine" when she won her Oscar. She would later that year win the Tony for "Ondine".

Uri wrote:
Thanks. Of course you're right, but you must admit the way I remembered it was better, adding that little Oscar touch. And anyhow, in this post truth era we live in, I have every right to say whatever I want, whenever I want to say it and never be confronted with the mistakes I make, haven't I?
But that "little Oscar touch" was actually how it happened. Only she rushed from the theater where she was playing Ondine and not Gigi. Your story was true. Just the wrong play.

And yes, you have every right to say whatever you want and whenever you want to say it. However, wanting not to be confronted with the mistakes you make would make you an American.......and we all know that you aren't. So best not to venture in that direction ;)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Re Gigi (too many quotes already to re-quote) - it was first a novella, then a 1949 French film adapted by Pierre Laroche, then a 1951 Broadway play adapted by Anita Loos, then a 1958 original film musical, followed by a 1973 Broadway adaptation of the film musical and a 2015 Broadway revival. Neither the 1951 play nor the 1958 film musical acknowledge any other adaptation. Only the Broadway version acknowledges the Lerner and Loewe adaptation, as well as the novella.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, La La Land just won more Golden Globes than any other film.
Yes, it did. It broke One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest record. That film won 6.
Worth noting that Cuckoo's nest and Midnight Express both got to six wins on the basis of the now-defunct "Best New Star" awards.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:
Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Gigi had an original score but was based on a novel;

And a stage play: Audrey Hepburn, who was handpicked by Colette herself, was starring in it on Broadway back in 1954 when she won her Oscar for Roman Holiday. That was one of the few years the awards were given both in LA and NY, so Hepburn finished her performance and rushed from the theater to collect her award still wearing her stage makeup.
Actually Hepburn was on Broadway in "Gigi" in 1951. In 1954 she was appearing on Broadway in "Ondine" when she won her Oscar. She would later that year win the Tony for "Ondine".
Thanks. Of course you're right, but you must admit the way I remembered it was better, adding that little Oscar touch. And anyhow, in this post truth era we live in, I have every right to say whatever I want, whenever I want to say it and never be confronted with the mistakes I make, haven't I?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Uri wrote:

And a stage play: Audrey Hepburn, who was handpicked by Colette herself, was starring in it on Broadway back in 1954 when she won her Oscar for Roman Holiday. That was one of the few years the awards were given both in LA and NY, so Hepburn finished her performance and rushed from the theater to collect her award still wearing her stage makeup.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Return to “89th Predictions and Precursors”