Make-up & Hairstyling Finalists

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Make-up & Hairstyling Finalists

Post by OscarGuy »

Meh. I've seen the "worst" of these nominees: Suicide Squad, Star Trek: Beyond, and Deadpool. This is the least effects-heavy makeup group in memory. Suicide Squad has the most makeup, which probably makes it a safe bet. Deadpool ONLY has burn makeup and Trek had a lot as well, so I'm guessing that Suicide Squad and Star Trek are likely nominees. Man Colled Ove probably falls into this category's weakness for foreign language films (Il Divo, La Vie en Rose, 100 Year Old Man...), so I'd set it as the third nominee.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

As always, this category could present a potentially terrifying situation for completists.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'd imagine Deadpool will be nominated and likely the favorite to win. It doesn't seem like there were a great many films that used elaborate makeup this year and Deadpool is an incredibly popular movie. Reynolds' makeup may not have been the most elaborate we've seen, but it was convincing and Reynolds was very expressive underneath it. At least a nomination.

The big unknown to me is The Dressmaker. I have no idea the extent of the makeup used.

Florence Foster Jenkins has a chance. I didn't think any of the hairstyling seemed particularly grabbing, like oh say The Grand Budapest Hotel, but Meryl Streep's condition (for lack of spoilers) was fairly convincing. It might have a chance.

I'm struggling to remember the makeup or hairstyling from Hail, Caesar! Everyone looked...convincing, but it's the Coen Brothers so of course they did.

I haven't seen A Man Called Ove but it's likely a Best Foreign-Language Film nominee with old age makeup, so it could be nominated.

Star Trek movies have a good track record. The fact that Eric Bana's horrible makeup could win means this one (which I haven't seen but the stills look like strong makeup) is probably in.

But then there's Suicide Squad, my least favorite film in years. It has Joker, Margot Robbie, a giant crocodile, and a lot of other horseshit that I've blocked out of my memory. The Academy has a long history of honoring terrible movies in this category like Norbit and this.

If I had to guess right now, I'd pick Deadpool, A Man Called Ove, and Star Trek Beyond.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The only one that could possibly be a best picture nominee is Florence. A Man Called Ove is in the foreign film scrum; and it would be in the mode of the 100 Year Old Man, which this branch cited.

In terms of critical approval, all except Suicide Squad and The Dressmaker rank in the 65-71 range on Metacritic (those two rank quite a bit lower). Which creates a jump-ball feeling. I'd say a tough category to narrow to three, and even then not easy to pick a winner. This could be one of the year's pool-deciders.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Make-up & Hairstyling Finalists

Post by Mister Tee »

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the seven finalists for this year’s makeup and hairstyling Oscar.

The seven films are:

“Deadpool”
“The Dressmaker”
“Florence Foster Jenkins”
“Hail, Caesar!”
“A Man Called Ove”
“Star Trek Beyond”
“Suicide Squad”

Return to “89th Nominations and Winners”