DGA award

For the films of 2015
taki15
Assistant

Re: DGA award

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote:
taki15 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Best Picture nominees in 1976 were All the President's Men, Network, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory and Rocky which won. Pundits have been ridiculing Rocky's win over All the President's Men and Network ever since.

Has AMPAS learned nothing in 39 years? With the sons of All the President's Men and Network (Spotlight and The Big Short) vying for the win, are they really going to give it to another Rocky? As Yogi Berra would say, it'll be deja vu all over again!
From what I've read "The Revenant" can hardly be characterized a feel-good movie like "Rocky".
It's not a feel-good movie, but it fits the same basic scenario. It's another underdog comes through movie.
Well, under such a loose definition we can fit almost everything, from "Gone With the Wind" to "Argo".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

taki15 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Best Picture nominees in 1976 were All the President's Men, Network, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory and Rocky which won. Pundits have been ridiculing Rocky's win over All the President's Men and Network ever since.

Has AMPAS learned nothing in 39 years? With the sons of All the President's Men and Network (Spotlight and The Big Short) vying for the win, are they really going to give it to another Rocky? As Yogi Berra would say, it'll be deja vu all over again!
From what I've read "The Revenant" can hardly be characterized a feel-good movie like "Rocky".
It's not a feel-good movie, but it fits the same basic scenario. It's another underdog comes through movie.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Best Picture nominees in 1976 were All the President's Men, Network, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory and Rocky which won. Pundits have been ridiculing Rocky's win over All the President's Men and Network ever since.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Also working in The Revenant's favor is the fact that The Big Short and Spotlight are very similar films. They're both about a group of men (mostly) who on a crusade against a corrupt institution. Their aims are different but both films tackle very similar things. I can see that helping The Revenant quite a bit.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:There are way too many moving parts in this year's race to make any definitive call. Big Short, Spotlight and The Revenant are all well alive in the best picture race.
If Innaritu wins Best Director, what non-Best-Picture awards other than Screenplay can either The Big Short or Spotlight win? Rebecca in 1940 was the last film to take Best Picture while winning only one other award.
Big Short could definitely win editing, which could give it the same package Argo had.

And I don't rule out the possibility of either Bale or Ruffalo winning supporting actor.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:There are way too many moving parts in this year's race to make any definitive call. Big Short, Spotlight and The Revenant are all well alive in the best picture race.
If Innaritu wins Best Director, what non-Best-Picture awards other than Screenplay can either The Big Short or Spotlight win? Rebecca in 1940 was the last film to take Best Picture while winning only one other award.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:If The Revenant wins Best Picture, it will be only the second film in five decades to do so without a Screenplay nomination. Everyone remember who starred in the other one?
I also remember that it -- and its nearest predecessor, The Sound of Music -- was to that moment the highest-grossing film ever. The Revenant has done well compared to the rest of the field, but is nowhere near that exalted territory, which to my mind is what it might take to win best picture without writer support. (Recall, the lack was fatal to Gravity just two years ago.)

There are way too many moving parts in this year's race to make any definitive call. Big Short, Spotlight and The Revenant are all well alive in the best picture race.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

If The Revenant wins Best Picture, it will be only the second film in five decades to do so without a Screenplay nomination. Everyone remember who starred in the other one?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

George Miller deserved it. Mad Max: Fury Road is a stunning directorial achievement.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Your nightmare comes true, Sonic: it's Innaritu back to back.

Which means best picture remains anybody's guess.
That would be Spotlight, splitting Best Picture/Director with. My dead ancestors have assured me in a vision that was going to happen.

In all seriousness, I guess it can't happen because I can't imagine Spotlight winning any other Oscar except Screenplay. I don't see Revenant splitting with Big Short or anyone else, so I guess it's a Revenant/DeCaprio coup this year. Which means I have to see it after all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

The Revenant is not good, but honestly, I'd much prefer Iñárritu winning twice in a row for this effort than Miller or McKay taking it. Of course I would.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What a massively disappointing choice.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good time to remind people that The Revenant has made $133 million domestic and almost $300 million worldwide combined. That's more than Argo and The King's Speech and close to A Beautiful Mind and Slumdog Millionaire territory. Feeling pretty confident about its win.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, Ford and Mankiewicz both won one each of their back-to-back directing Oscars for a Best Picture winner (How Green Was My Valley, All About Eve) and a non-winner (The Grapes of Wrath, A Letter to Three Wives) which bodes well for The Revenant losing Best Picture to Spotlight.

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”