Trivia, anybody?

For the films of 2015
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Trivia, anybody?

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, Uri. I had a feeling I was forgetting someone.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Saoirse Ronan must be one of the youngest actress to get nominations in both acting categories. Is she the youngest to achieve this?
Yes. Off the top of my head I would think Jennifer Lawrence previously held the record and before her, Jennifer Jones. Jessica Tandy must be the record older at the other end of the age spectrum.
Actually, it was Teresa Wright who held the record before Lawrence - she was 23 when she was nominated in support and 24 when she was nominated for best actress (as well as in support again). Jones was 24 going on 25 when she was nominated as lead and a year older when she was up for supporting.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Saoirse Ronan must be one of the youngest actress to get nominations in both acting categories. Is she the youngest to achieve this?
Yes. Off the top of my head I would think Jennifer Lawrence previously held the record and before her, Jennifer Jones. Jessica Tandy must be the record older at the other end of the age spectrum.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Saoirse Ronan must be one of the youngest actress to get nominations in both acting categories. Is she the youngest to achieve this?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

This is the first time since 1940 that three Best Visual Effects nominees are Best Picture nominees and the first time since the expansion of the category to 5 that all of the nominees have nominations in other categories too.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Not one Best Picture nominee, in fact, not one film with more than three nominations, is a work of original fiction. All of the films are either adaptations or original work based on actual events.
Mateo
Graduate

Post by Mateo »

For the first time in history, the NYFCC's Best Actor failed to be nominated for an Oscar for the third time in a row (Michael Keaton '15, Timothy Spall '14, Robert Redford '13.) While their choice for Best Actor has missed out at the Oscars before, never had it happened back-to-back (as it did last year); let alone three times in a row. This has occurred with their other acting categories though, most recently in Best Supporting Actor (Steve Buscemi '01, Dennis Quaid '02, Eugene Levy '03.)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

All the Make-Up and Hairstyling nominees are first-time nominees...anyone know the last time that happened?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MovieWes wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road is the first fourquel to receive a Best Picture nomination. In addition, it becomes the 2nd sequel to be nominated without a previous film being a Best Picture nominee (the first being Toy Story 3), and the first sequel to be nominated without any of the previous films having received a single Oscar nomination period.

Can someone also tell me if this is the longest gestating Best Picture nominee? Fury Road has been in the works in some form (with the exact same title, no less) since the late 80s. It almost went into production several times, the first being in the early 90s with Mel Gibson attached to star, only to collapse before it could happen, leading many people to refer to it over the years as cursed.
I'm pretty sure it is. On the Road holds the record for the film with the longest gestation period - 44 years (1968-2012) but that wasn't nominated.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Inside Out co-writer Ronnie Del Carmen is the first Filipino nominated for Screenplay. He beat me to it! :lol:
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Mad Max: Fury Road is the first fourquel to receive a Best Picture nomination. In addition, it becomes the 2nd sequel to be nominated without a previous film being a Best Picture nominee (the first being Toy Story 3), and the first sequel to be nominated without any of the previous films having received a single Oscar nomination period.

Breakdown on Oscar nominated sequels:

Twoquels: The Bells of St. Mary's, The Godfather Part II, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Threequels: The Godfather Part III, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Toy Story 3

Fourquels: Mad Max: Fury Road

Can someone also tell me if this is the longest gestating Best Picture nominee? Fury Road has been in the works in some form (with the exact same title, no less) since the late 80s. It almost went into production several times, the first being in the early 90s with Mel Gibson attached to star, only to collapse before it could happen, leading many people to refer to it over the years as cursed.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

CalWilliam wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread, Inarritu becomes the first director since Robert Wise 49 years ago to be nominated again the year after winning.
But Robert Wise was not nominated for The Sand Pebbles, wasn't he? Do you mean as a producer?
Sorry about the bad information. Woody Allen (1978) was the last. Before him it was Elia Kazan (1955).
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Is this the first time that two films have received nominations in all the tech categories?
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Shok is the first film made in Kosovo to receive an Oscar nomination. It appears, however, that the film has been made by a primarily British crew with British money.

Edit: Roger Deakins now has thirteen nominations, so he equals George J. Folsey's record for most nominations in Cinematography without a win.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Big Magilla wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread, Inarritu becomes the first director since Robert Wise 49 years ago to be nominated again the year after winning.
But Robert Wise was not nominated for The Sand Pebbles, wasn't he? Do you mean as a producer?
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

Return to “88th Nominations and Winners”