GG: Drama Picture

For the films of 2015
criddic3
Tenured

Re: GG: Drama Picture

Post by criddic3 »

And it meant nothing beyond the fact that GG voters liked him, a fact demonstrated with his 2nd and now his 3rd award.
The Aviator was in the game for best picture, though. Before "Million Dollar Baby" came out, it was the front-runner. I think the combo of Leo and Martin Scorsese, plus Old Hollywood Glamour, made the Globes choose it. I don't think that it was just them, however. A lot of people thought it had a shot at both Pic and Actor, though Jamie Foxx was the man of the moment coming soon after Ray Charles' death. I still think DiCaprio's best shot at Oscar was "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," which was a heavily competitive year. But this year, he'll likely win because of the combo of popularity and the supposed hardship of making "The Revenant." Best Picture is less secure, I think we agree on that. It could be a compromise vote. The difficult topics of "Spotlight" (an investigation of the Catholic Church scandal) and "The Big Short" (a group of guys profiting off the crash of '07) may be off-putting enough to make "The Revenant" seem appealing. Although, that could also help "Mad Max: Fury Road," except that that's a really un-traditional choice.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:This seems right in line with former Drama Picture winners like The Aviator, Babel, Atonement or The Hours. I don't think The Revenant is going much further in this race.

However, this showed that Hollywood loves DiCaprio!
We already knew that! Obviously DiCaprio, most likely, will end up this race as an Oscar winner. But this, how shall I say it, just says that these guys really like him, and that is common knowledge: he won for The Aviator and the film itself won Best Picture - Drama. And it meant nothing beyond the fact that GG voters liked him, a fact demonstrated with his 2nd and now his 3rd award.
I wasn't talking about the Globes voters. I was talking about Hollywood. The reception that DiCaprio received from his peers when he won, and throughout the night, showed me that they want him to win this year. The DiCaprio love is more than blogger fantasy.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

FilmFan720 wrote:This seems right in line with former Drama Picture winners like The Aviator, Babel, Atonement or The Hours. I don't think The Revenant is going much further in this race.

We already knew that! Obviously DiCaprio, most likely, will end up this race as an Oscar winner. But this, how shall I say it, just says that these guys really like him, and that is common knowledge: he won for The Aviator and the film itself won Best Picture - Drama. And it meant nothing beyond the fact that GG voters liked him, a fact demonstrated with his 2nd and now his 3rd award.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I would love to spend years defending the relative merits of The Martian than patiently waiting for The Revenant's expiration date. I say this as somebody who likes the film (diminishing every second though) -- what a spectacular PR campaign! All those hardships of filmmaking in wintry tundra climate. Fanboys are going into it expecting the rugged 1970s frontier filmmaking of Michael Cimino and Francis Coppola, when truly it is Gravity two hundred years displaced. Isn't a Best Cinematography award enough?

In the past hour, I have decided that I really hope The Martian wins. It's not my favorite movie of the year at all. It wouldn't make my ten best list, but how shall I say this...I can make sense of its win. I would rather explain why The Martian's "Science, Fuck Yeah!" mindset is substantive than why The Revenant is thoughtless and incurious.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

This seems right in line with former Drama Picture winners like The Aviator, Babel, Atonement or The Hours. I don't think The Revenant is going much further in this race.

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:Good. I don't love The Martian and but it makes The Revenant look like a think piece.
I did love The Martian, flaws and all. But I've read the conversation you guys had, and Italiano's right. It shouldn't be the type of film that wins Best Picture. But I'll be rooting for it if it keeps a second Inarritu movie from winning best picture (sight unseen; I know I'm being very unfair) or Spotlight as well. If those are the only feasible options, I'm all for 'The Martian' winning the Best Picture Oscar. But - as has been the case since the birth of our daughter - I've seen very, very few movies this year, and I'm positive something must be better than The Martian. Perhaps The Martian is better than Carol or Steve Jobs or even Son of Saul. But I doubt that's likely. It's terrific of its kind, but its 'kind' is intelligent, refreshing entertainment. Also, for several reasons I think it's not going to age well, although It'll be fondly remembered as an example of movie-making that captured the essence of the positive, forward thinking Obama era. But to me, the ideal Best Film winner should be more than a very good movie 'of it's time'.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Neither Best Picture winner was nominated for Best Screenplay. The Best Screenplay winner wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Just...draw your own conclusions.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good. I don't love The Martian and but it makes The Revenant look like a think piece.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I feel cheated. I couldn't even bask in the relief of that mediocrity 'Spotlight' getting shut out of every category without realizing this three hour monstrosity might win the Oscar for Best Picture instead. Granted, I haven't seen it, so it's not fair for me to judge it. But I don't want to see it. It's from my least favorite "artistic" filmmaker, the genius behind '21 Grams'. The film looks like punishment.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:I have a question. What the fuck is this?
Confirmation that 'The Martian' will win Best Picture.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Okri wrote:This is the most confusing awards race ever.
And that is a good thing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

On second thought, it may be makeup for last year's snub of Birdman.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

This is the most confusing awards race ever.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Leo perhaps.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I have a question. What the fuck is this?
"How's the despair?"

Return to “88th Predictions and Precursors”