The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The VCR/DVR Alert Thread

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this -- technically it has nothing to do with VCR/DVR -- but in doing some research for the upcoming screenplay fields, I noticed that The Bold and the Brave (a nominee for Original Screenplay as well as Supporting Actor for Mickey Rooney) is now available for rent on iTunes. Not sure how long this has been available, but I remember some people here saying this movie was one of the more obscure ones nominated for major Oscars, so I thought I'd point that out.
Strange that The Bold and the Brave has not been released on DVD in the US. It has been out on DVD in the UK since June 2010.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

Post by OscarGuy »

I think this is the right thread for it. I changed the title.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I wasn't sure where to put this -- technically it has nothing to do with VCR/DVR -- but in doing some research for the upcoming screenplay fields, I noticed that The Bold and the Brave (a nominee for Original Screenplay as well as Supporting Actor for Mickey Rooney) is now available for rent on iTunes. Not sure how long this has been available, but I remember some people here saying this movie was one of the more obscure ones nominated for major Oscars, so I thought I'd point that out.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

The Original BJ wrote:I recorded The Emigrants off TCM a few days ago, hoping to finally check off that most elusive Best Picture nominee. But, to my chagrin, they aired the dubbed-in-English (and apparently edited) version that's available other places rather than the original subtitled one I've been trying to track down.

I guess at this point I can only hope Criterion will take it upon themselves to release this one in its original version at some point.
I really want to see that film, particularly for Liv Ullmann, who is a brilliant and astonishing actress, but also because it's the only movie that's left for me in the 1972 Best Picture race.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I recorded The Emigrants off TCM a few days ago, hoping to finally check off that most elusive Best Picture nominee. But, to my chagrin, they aired the dubbed-in-English (and apparently edited) version that's available other places rather than the original subtitled one I've been trying to track down.

I guess at this point I can only hope Criterion will take it upon themselves to release this one in its original version at some point.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I tried to post about this earlier and got a new sort of You Cannot Post Now message (not 403; something else, just as annoying).

So, briefly: for those trying to prepare for future screenplay votes, TCM -- as part of a set of Richard Attenborough-featured movies tonight-into-tomorrow -- will be showing The Angry Silence, a 1960 original screenplay nominee, at 1:15AM ET. It's a deadly serious study of a labor ostracism -- the darker version of much the same plot used in Peter Sellers' I'm All Right, Jack.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Another helpful hint for those involved in the screenplay voting, this one fairly imminent: this Wednesday 6:30 AM ET, TCM is showing Alain Resnais' Mon Oncle D'Amerique, a notable nominee for best original screenplay in 1980, which we'll be dealing with shortly.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Again, to assist those wanting to honestly play along in the screenplay categories: this Friday at 8:45 AM ET, TCM is showing Smart Money, a nominee in 1930-31 (with the distinction, I believe, of featuring the only on-screen teaming of the two prominent Warner Brothers gangsters, Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney).
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

But Tee said relatively obscure.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wouldn't call The Prizefighter and the Lady obscure. It's on DVD and turns up TCM every now and then. Myrna Loy and Max Baer are terrific in this pre-code gem which is much better than the title would seem to indicate.

It has a great screenplay by John Lee Mahin and John Meehan, which was not nominated for an Oscar. Frances Marion was nominated for her original story, which they adapted.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those who like to plan ahead:

Tonight at 11:45 ET. TCM is showing the relatively obscure The Prizefighter and the Lady -- which, when we get to 1933 (about a year from now, I guess), will feature in the original screenplay competition.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

TCM has a couple of, if not uncatchable, fairly rarely screened items coming in the next 48 hours or so.

Overnight -- 3:30-5:30 AM EDT -- is the Cocteau/Melville collaboration Les Enfants Terribles, which I coincidentally just watched through Netflix about a month or so ago. Well recommended.

Monday evening through overnight is a slew of notable silents, some of which people may not yet have seen: Pickford's Poor Little Rich Girl, Clara Bow's reputation-making It, Glorya Swanson's first Oscar nomination Sadie Thompson (I'll be interested to see how restored the final reel is; the version I saw was stills for the last half-hour), a Pola Negri film I've never heard of called The Wildcat, and the legendary Pandora's Box, Way Down East, and King Vidor's Show People.

It's not often you get a chance for a free look at such famous titles.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

TCM shows Bob Rafelson's Mountains of the Moon at midnight tonight. This is a longtime favorite of mine. There's an old DVD of it, but it isn't very good quality. They may show an HD master tonight. Damien was a big fan as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Khartoum contains one of Olivier's best performances. The screenplay may not have been all that great, but 1966 was a weak year for original screenplays besides which Robert Ardrey, whose screenplays included those for such 1940s classics as The Green Years, The Secret Garden andMadame Bovary, may have been considered due by his writers' branch fellows.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I have not seen Khartoum, but something odd came across to me when I scanned its entry on IMDB. It is a costume epic that got its one Oscar nomination for its screenplay, without picking up any tech nominations.

Return to “The First Century”