August: Osage County (2013)

Eric
Tenured

Re: August: Osage County (2013)

Post by Eric »

I was being just a little facetious and taking a cheap shot at Magilla's unconstrained glee that there's a bona fide biddie frontrunner this year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I saw something on Hollywood Reporter talking about Philomena moving up in the oscar race
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Harvey's best shot at a Best Actress Oscar this year isn't Meryl, isn't Julia and certainly isn't Oprah, it's Judi Dench. Wait and see.
First I've heard that prediction.
flipp525 wrote:I've also heard rumblings that Oprah is campaigning for lead in The Butler.
Good luck to her in that endeavor, though I guess it's easily closer to a lead performance than I imagine Violet is to a supporting one. (As to the mention of Jane Fonda for best supporting actress in the other thread, dream on. She has one scene with about six lines of dialogue and one other appearance.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Harvey's best shot at a Best Actress Oscar this year isn't Meryl, isn't Julia and certainly isn't Oprah, it's Judi Dench. Wait and see.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Good. I'll be glad to see Oprah left off the Oscar ballot altogether. Lead is crowded, which is why Harvey's pushing Meryl to support (probably also to give HRH Julia a solo shot at lead), so Oprah doesn't really have much chance to get nominated, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Precious Doll wrote:To be fair the film hasn't been seen and it's possible that Violet's screen time in the film may have been reduced.

Personally I found Violet the one and only lead in the play supported by an ensemble.
You, and the rest of the people on Planet Earth.

This is simply ridiculous. Conversely, I've also heard rumblings that Oprah is campaigning for lead in The Butler.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Precious Doll wrote:To be fair the film hasn't been seen and it's possible that Violet's screen time in the film may have been reduced.

Personally I found Violet the one and only lead in the play supported by an ensemble.
To be fair you are right.

But...STILL.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

To be fair the film hasn't been seen and it's possible that Violet's screen time in the film may have been reduced.

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote: What's next, Tom Hanks being campaigned for Best Supporting Actor for Saving Mr. Banks?
Hanks is already being campaigned for support in Saving Mr. Banks and lead in Captain Phillips.
In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking but now God knows...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote: What's next, Tom Hanks being campaigned for Best Supporting Actor for Saving Mr. Banks?
Hanks is already being campaigned for support in Saving Mr. Banks and lead in Captain Phillips.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Oh for the love of all that is holy, now we have to deal with Meryl Streep campaigned as a Supporting Actress?! I seriously feel like Charlie Brown with the football every year with this category fraud lunacy, but this is just beyond out of control these days.

What's next, Tom Hanks being campaigned for Best Supporting Actor for Saving Mr. Banks? Nicole Kidman pushed as Supporting Actress for Grace of Monaco?

Hopefully this will go the way of Harvey's campaign for Kate Winslet, because COME ON.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not only that, neither Sam Shepard nor any of the other actors in August: Osage County appear to have been in any of the various films named Heartless.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Sam Shepard (Heartless)
Apparently, the writer of this article forgot (or never knew to begin with) that Sam Shepard is an Oscar nominee as well (Best Supporting Actor for The Right Stuff in '83).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On the other hand, Fox Searchlight has moved 12 Years a Slave up from a December 27th release date to an October 18th date giving it time to build to an Oscar fever pitch.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Because what we really need is even MORE time for everyone to declare it a lock to win every award ever before they've seen it.

Return to “Coming Soon”