Oscar Shouldabeens Guidelines

1927/28 through 1997
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Oscar Shouldabeens Guidelines

Post by Big Magilla »

I also found Turan's review for Poetry - 5/5/11 as well as In a Better World - 3/31/11; Lemon Tree - 5/1/09 and A Christmas Tale - 11/14/08 as well as a another L.A. Times' critic's reviews of Vincere - 3/25/10; Oranges and Sunshine - 10/20/11 and A Kid With a Bike - 3/16/12. Removing those titles from the list below.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Good to know. I found several other missing films in 1953-54.

Two other recent films I was surprised to find missing in the database are Tell No One and Poetry.
I didn't see either of those until DVD, but I seem to recall theatrical releases in LA for both.
Tell No One had a very successful run in NY in 2008; I'd be very surprised if it wasn't released in LA. But I remember someone here telling me back then that the film would be awards-ineligible at the end of '08 because it had qualified in some earlier year. Wish I remembered more specifically than that.
I found the intriguing start of Kenneth Turan's L.A. Times review on Rotten Tomatoes but was unable to find the full review on the newspaper's site:

" Tell everyone about Tell No One. Not just because this is a top-notch thriller so twisty you may forget to breathe, but because for a long time it looked like you wouldn't be able to tell anyone at all." — Los Angeles Times
Posted Jul 2, 2008
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Tell No One had it's French premiere in 2006. Foreign films have to their week long run in LA during the following calendar year. Here's the current version of that rule
I'm not sure the rule applies to the list which is supposedly comprised of films hoping to qualify rather than actually qualifying. Here's the criteria:

http://wwwdb.oscars.org:8100/impc_site2/index.html
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Could it be they had qualifying runs but weren't submitted for consideration, a la YiYi?
I thought of that, but Yi Yi is listed as a 2000 release. Scenes From a Marriage is listed as a 1974 release even though it wasn't eligible.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Tell No One had it's French premiere in 2006. Foreign films have to their week long run in LA during the following calendar year. Here's the current version of that rule
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:

Two other recent films I was surprised to find missing in the database are Tell No One and Poetry.
I didn't see either of those until DVD, but I seem to recall theatrical releases in LA for both.
Tell No One had a very successful run in NY in 2008; I'd be very surprised if it wasn't released in LA. But I remember someone here telling me back then that the film would be awards-ineligible at the end of '08 because it had qualified in some earlier year. Wish I remembered more specifically than that.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Could it be they had qualifying runs but weren't submitted for consideration, a la YiYi?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good to know. I found several other missing films in 1953-54.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Obviously the Academy link is a great resource, but I'm not sure all of that information is correct, Magilla.

For instance, I saw A Christmas Tale, In a Better World, and The Kid With a Bike in Los Angeles in regular theatrical runs so I know for sure those don't belong on that list. And I recall some of those others having L.A. runs, although I'd have to do some research -- but those definitely don't qualify.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Oscar Shouldabeens Guidelines

Post by Big Magilla »

Anyone's method of selection is as good as anyone else's. You can base your eligibility periods on year of release in country of origin; U.S. release date which more often than not is New York rather than Los Angeles or Los Angeles, which is the date used by the Academy.

I've always felt that to properly criticize the Academy's choices it makes sense to use the same date guidelines, but I've always found it frustrating that until now this was pretty much hit and miss so I've generally gone by the earlier of the New York or Los Angeles release date, New York dates being much easier to find. The N.Y. Times database has dated on-line reviews of most films going back to the inception of the Academy Awards with the date of the review noted. Now, however, the Academy has posted release dates for films released in L.A. between 1953 and 2012 with a smattering of 1952. When they're finished they will go all the way back to 1934.

Here's the link:
http://wwwdb.oscars.org:8100/servlet/im ... t?vetted=T

This is a great tool for anyone who wants to match their eligibility dates with the Academy's.

For films released between 1927 and 1933 you should look at the month of year in which the film was released. Eligibility periods in the early years were as follws:

August 1, 1927-July 31, 1928
August 1, 1928-July 31, 1929
August 1, 1929-July 31, 1930
August 1, 1930-July 31, 1931
August 1, 1931-July 31, 1932
August 1, 1932-December 31, 1933

Keep in mind, however, that the dates from on IMDb. are more often than not New York dates rather than L.A. dates. Also for the first year of eligibility, the Academy fudged. 7th Heaven, which was released in May of 1927 was, of course, a 1927/28 nominee and winner presumably because it was such a huge hit that it was still playing at the beginning of the eligibility period whereas Metropolis and The General had already run their course and were presumably not eligible.

Here are some examples of films released in L.A. between 1953 and 2012 in which the L.A> release date is at variance with previous thinking:

1953 - The Importance of Being Earnest
1955 - All That Heaven Allows
1956 - Diabolique
1958 - Nights of Cabiria; Gervaise; Smiles of a Summer Night
1959 - The Seventh Seal
1963 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
1964 - All the Way Home
1965 - Kapo
1967 - Tokyo Story
1969 - Shame
1999 - The School of Flesh
2004 - The Dreamers
2005 - Oldboy

Films with no Los Angeles runs and therefore ineligible for standard category nominations in any year:

Bellissima
Sansho the Bailiff
Carve Her Name With Pride
Wet Asphalt
Floating Weeds
Leon Morin, Priest
Hellfire Club, The
Mamma Roma
Mon Oncle Antoine
Night Digger, The
Andrei Rublev
Doll's House, A (Losey)