Les Miserables

Greg
Tenured

Re: Les Miserables

Post by Greg »

Here is the official international trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHHHUk8RCw

I really hope I am not let down. Les Miserables is now the movie I have anticipated the most in my life so far.

I so miss Damien not being with us now. He gave The King's Speech 8/10 and championed it for Best Picture. It is a pity we will not be able to read what he has to say about Les Miserables.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Les Misérables - Extended First Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwgQjfg0hZw
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Okri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: A nomiantion fr RSussell crowe would depend on the competition for Best Actor which looks strong right now. He could be placed in support, but Inspector Javert is a co-lead so I dont see that as likely.
Here's how it'll be done. Very soon, Oscar bloggers (Kris Tapley, Nate Rogers, the folks at Indie Wire), who can't seem wait for movies to open/be seen, will start making their Early Predictions. They will, as always, choose from the highest profile productions (of which an adaptation of a theatre phenomenon by a recent Oscar winner is obviously one). They'll assign Hugh Jackman the leading actor spot. Then they'll be looking to fill out the supporting slots. But, since true supporting contenders tend to be less obvious sight unseen (depending on, you know, actual achievement rather than pre-screening buzz), these bloggers will fill the slots with recognizable names playing anything less than their film's central role -- to wit, Russell Crowe. People will bandy hs and similar names about enough that everyone will take it for granted these people are prime contenders. The Broadcast Critics will include them on that key first list of nominees, and, all too likely, SAG will follow along (seeing how, with a mid-December deadline, they'll have barely had time to see half the movies available). All of which sets up a nomination before Academy voters have even opened up their screeners.
How much power do you think the white-noisers have, though? I mean, aren't these the same people that predicting Oldman/Nolan for The Dark Knight Rises?
It strikes me as interesting that the actors who have played this role (or any of the parts) have never been nominated. Charles Laughton could have been for the 1935 version, with the film having gotten a Best Picture nod, but he was up for Mutiny on the Bounty instead. Even the 1978 TV movie with Anthony Perkins got a directing Emmy nomination, but no acting citations. The 1998 version didn't get anything. Could the fact that this is a musical help the actors in this adaptation?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Sonic Youth wrote:Read my screenname again. If you wish, Youtube five of their songs to hear what my 2nd favorite band sounds like. That should give you a hint of my musical inclinations.

I'd recommend "Kool Thing," "Silver Rocket," "Kissability," their cover of the Carpenters' "Superstar," and "Schizophrenia" for a quick dive into their works for anyone interested. Sonic is more than welcome to tear my choices apart since he's a much bigger fan than me.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous1980 wrote:I second dws1982's recommendation of the 5-hour 1934 adaptation of Les Miserables. Honestly, it didn't feel like 5 hours at all (Though I did watch it in 2 installments but the time flew by).

Sonic Youth - You hate "I Dreamed a Dream"?!? I listened to it like 5 times the other day. :lol:
LOL. Read my screenname again. If you wish, Youtube five of their songs to hear what my 2nd favorite band sounds like. That should give you a hint of my musical inclinations.

Sorry, but power ballads give me the hives.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: Keira Knighley in Anna Karenina
Maybe it's just me, but the idea of Keira Knightley playing Anna Karenina doesn't seem like such a thrilling prospect... Plus, while it's probably one of the, let's say, five best female characters in the history of Literature, there must be a reason why nobody was ever nominated for this role. And it's not like it was played only by minor actresses...
Geta Garbo, who won the NYFC award for the 1935 version should have been nominatd for an Oscar but for some reason (studio politics?) she wasn't. The 1948 verison with Vivien Leigh wasn't all that good. Whether Keira Knightley is good in the new version is probably beside the point considering she was nominated for her less than thrilling performance in the same director's Pride and Prejudice. It all depends on whether there are significantly strong enough performances to actually earn the nomination or whether it will depend on who campaigns the hardest.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, that one seems weird to me...

The only two things I'm confident in is that The Silver Linings Playbook looks like an Oscar movie. And The Master is likely going to end up being the same movie (the same ideas and rough narrative structure) as There Will Be Blood...and I can't wait! The trailer looks insane!
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: Keira Knighley in Anna Karenina
Maybe it's just me, but the idea of Keira Knightley playing Anna Karenina doesn't seem like such a thrilling prospect... Plus, while it's probably one of the, let's say, five best female characters in the history of Literature, there must be a reason why nobody was ever nominated for this role. And it's not like it was played only by minor actresses...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I swear I didn't remember this, but I have Crowe in the predicitons I put together for CinemaSight in April.

Go here: http://www.cinemasight.com/85th-oscar-p ... s-opening/

Gold Derby has many of the same picks we had, but in answer to your question, Carey Mulligan in [iThe Great Gatsby][/i]; Marion Cottilard in Rust and Bone; Helen Hunt in Six Sessions and Keira Knighley in Anna Karenina round out their top five.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The blogging has begun in earnest. The folks at Gold Derby are going wild for it.

Laura Linney leads their Best Actress line-up for Hyde Park on Hudson.
Who else is on their best actress list?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The blogging has begun in earnest. The folks at Gold Derby are going wild for it.

They have the film coming in fourth behind Lincoln; The Master and The Great Gatsby; Hugh Jackman running fifth behind Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln; Bill Murray in Hyde Park on Hudson; Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master and John Hawkes in Six Sessions; Russell Crowe third for Supporting Actor behind Joaquin Phoenix in The Master and Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained; Anne Hathaway in first place for Supporting Actress and Hooper in fifth for Best Director behind Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master), Steven Sielberg (Lincoln); Ang Lee (House of Pi) and Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty). Laura Linney leads their Best Actress line-up for Hyde Park on Hudson.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Some, perhaps, don't set out to shape the race, but reflect what they see as the historical patterns of the categories? Who doesn't seem Crowe getting nominated as Supporting? The cases of category fraud are rampant in Oscar history. Sure, some groups may slot them in the appropriate category in an effort to influence Oscar voters, but frequently it doesn't help. For every Keisha Castle-Hughes, there is a Tatum O'Neal and a Hailee Steinfeld. Sure, these are children performers, but when was the last time a film received a double-nomination in the lead category? Unless I'm misremembering, it was 20 years ago (Thelma & Louise, where anything else would have been seen as a slight).

But let's be honest, it's not the bloggers who define category placement. It's a combination of studios and publicists and stars chomping at the bit for an Oscar. Since Crowe has one, he might be willing to accept a failed campaign in lead, but maybe not. Studios have one goal only: maximize nominations because that leads to bigger box office (yes, they are wrong, but we know...) and more acclaim.

Some of these people making early predictions may think of themselves as influencers, but they are no more or less influential than the doofus on the street predicting the end of the world. They are simply reflecting the trend. And, having made early predictions for more than a decade now, I can tell you that slotting big names in supporting categories is a way to fill the void until the known quantities emerge. It's not out of some vain attempt to say it will be a star-studded affair. Sometimes, there's just not much out that otherwise makes sense.

Early predictions are for fun and entertainment, they aren't meant to force the Academy to think a certain way. Some of those who do it may see it as such, but let's be honest, in their hearts, they know they have little to no influence on anything.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:And then of course Les Miserables may turn out to be the biggest flop since Cleopatra...
You mean a flop that will be nomianted for nine Oscars and win four?

Well, maybe... but one which doesn't get a Best Supporting Actor nomination anyway.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:And then of course Les Miserables may turn out to be the biggest flop since Cleopatra...
You mean a flop that will be nominated for nine Oscars and win four?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:By the way, I swear I hadn't checked this before, but IndieWire actually just did their Early Year Predictions, and Nathaniel at Film Experience had apparently already done a set, and...drum roll...both have old Russell Crowe down for supporting actor.
OK, I checked them out. Nathaniel at Film Experience did his pre-Cannes, Anne Thompson at Indiewire did hers post-cannes, and at least she separates those she's seen from those she hasn't. His already seem outdated, hers more realistic. At least she has Crowe as a long-shot. One question, though, when did they change the title of The Surrogate to Six Sessions and why? The original title sounded much better.

Return to “2012”