Post-Oscar Reactions

For the films of 2011
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Post-Oscar Reactions

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Greg wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:"It tells the story of a former teacher (Bradley Cooper) who, after spending four years in a mental institution, moves back in with his mother and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Jennifer Lawrence)."
Jennifer Lawrence was born in 1990. Bradley Cooper was born in 1975. Assuming they are playing their actual ages, that means he married her when she was around 18 and he was around 33. That is disgusting. :evil:
What bothers me are movies like 21 Jump Street where Jonah Hill, who is 28, and Channing Tatum, who is 31, play cops who go undercover as high school students. That really exceeds the bounds of credibility.
I think that is part of the joke, but I agree with your point

It is really bad on TV where high school characters who are supposed to be the correct age are usually played by actors close to 30. I was watching some film where the character was 18, but the actor looked way too you young. Later I looked on imdb and found out the actor was exactly the right age. She just looked so young because I have been conditioned to seeing older actors playing teens. :roll:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:"It tells the story of a former teacher (Bradley Cooper) who, after spending four years in a mental institution, moves back in with his mother and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Jennifer Lawrence)."
Jennifer Lawrence was born in 1990. Bradley Cooper was born in 1975. Assuming they are playing their actual ages, that means he married her when she was around 18 and he was around 33. That is disgusting. :evil:
What bothers me are movies like 21 Jump Street where Jonah Hill, who is 28, and Channing Tatum, who is 31, play cops who go undercover as high school students. That really exceeds the bounds of credibility.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

flipp525 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I never said that it was intentional, Mister Tee.

I'm not implying that the Christopher Guest gang is racist or were actively going for a "blacks are monkeys" joke, but the timing of the line seemed, at the very least, ill-wrought. An observation.
Your original comment was "What was up with that horribly racist joke about 'monkeys' in Gone With the Wind?" Nothing more and nothing less. Nothing about how it may not have been intentional, and nothing about how you understand the joke-tellers aren't racist themselves.

No, it wasn't an implication. It was an accusation. If that wasn't your intention, your words blatantly said otherwise. And when you make a direct statement like that, people are going to respond in kind. They're not going to make any allowances for the things you didn't mean to imply. They're going to take your words at face value.
I'm not even bothering with you.
LOL!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:

I'm not implying that the Christopher Guest gang is racist or were actively going for a "blacks are monkeys" joke, but the timing of the line seemed, at the very least, ill-wrought. An observation.
Your original comment was "What was up with that horribly racist joke about 'monkeys' in Gone With the Wind?" Nothing more and nothing less. Nothing about how it may not have been intentional, and nothing about how you understand the joke-tellers aren't racist themselves.

No, it wasn't an implication. It was an accusation. If that wasn't your intention, your words blatantly said otherwise. And when you make a direct statement like that, people are going to respond in kind. They're not going to make any allowances for the things you didn't mean to imply. They're going to take your words at face value.
I'm not even bothering with you.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Hey! The age difference between my mom and dad was 26 years! (My dad being from 1922 and mom from 1948!). Haven't you heard that love doesn't know about age? :wink:
Yeah, I am just sick and tired of watching movies with older men and younger women. I know that is how it is in reality, but is just bothers me. At least Bradley Cooper is hot. The really annoying movies are where the guy is older and less attractive. :D
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

re: Hill - I thought it might be scripted, but then he didn't sell it. So he's either humourless or a poor comedian. I'm fine with either.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Hey! The age difference between my mom and dad was 26 years! (My dad being from 1922 and mom from 1948!). Haven't you heard that love doesn't know about age? :wink:
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Really? It sounds like a shitty comedy...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This year, The Weinsteins have David O. Russell is directing "The Silver Linings Playbook" from a screenplay he adapted from the novel of the same name by Matthew Quick.

"It tells the story of a former teacher (Bradley Cooper) who, after spending four years in a mental institution, moves back in with his mother and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Jennifer Lawrence)."

That sounds like their baby to me.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

At the very beginning of the ceremony I found myself nervous (in an expected and out-of-proportion way) when I heard Cinematography was the first award of the evening. My fears came true when Hugo took the award. Haven't seen the film but this specific award has to be one of my biggest disappointments ever with the Academy. As many others have stated, Cinematography seems to fail more often than other categories to pick the more deserving work and it is a real shame.

Overall was a nice show, way better than last year's uneventful one. Crystal was of course never ground-breaking but playing it safe and in that way he was just serviceable. The beginning segment (video-montage and intro song) felt flat or uneven but there were so many unfunny moments (trying to be so!) from a lot of presenters (Díaz and López, Downey Jr, etc) that he seemed nice. By the way, am I alone in thinking the comments by presenters in the lead acting categories should stop if those are going to seem so fake and obviously/shamelessly taken from the prompter? Never thought I could say this but I missed Bullock's comic timing, which now seems brilliant compared to Portman's deliverance of the lines, no matter how beautiful she was.

The music was, from the beginning, puzzling me. It felt somehow renewed but not in a crazy way (like those previous efforts from 1999 and specially en 2008). It was like some strange equilibrium between a contemporary feeling with the old tradional orchestration. The I saw Rahman and thought he was the explenation. But today I found out Zimmer with Pharell Williams were the musical directors and consultants of the night. Overall they did a pretty decent work.

I really liked some of the reactions from winners, way more moved than the robotic faces and speeches from last year. Spencer, the guys from "Undefeated" and the guys from TGWTDT. Of course Plummer was outstanding with his speech and seeing Streep winning was great, but somehow I guess it lacked some of the expected (by me) "solemnity". However, she gave a wonderful speech... the way she puts it, she doesn't need the award she now has and EVERYBODY think she needed or at least she deserved, but actually she just enjoys a lot her work, and it was great seeing someone not dazzled by the award. Through these bits (including the BAFTA) her personality shines maybe more than her talent.

I am not a fan of The Artist so it was good seeing it not sweeping the night. A surprise win by either Pitt, Oldman or even Clooney would have been great though.
Last edited by HarryGoldfarb on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:It was supposed to be an MGM focus group so Wuthering Heights would have made no sense.
LOL... Best "correction-line" ever...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It was supposed to be an MGM focus group so Wuthering Heights would have made no sense.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, sorry this thing has taken on such a half-life, but to try one last time:

I certainly would never mean to dismiss anyone out of hand, let alone you, flipp. But it would have been false for me to say "I can see where you got that interpretation" Like Italiano and Okri, I saw absolutely nothing in the sketch to provoke that response. I still don't. Hey, there's been a time or several when I've said something around here that others have found whacked. I've just had to live with them feeling that way. I meant no personal offense, but I can't rewrite my reaction.

(By the way, if you review this thread, I wasn't the one you had to explain the initial comment to -- that was someone else. I knew what you were referring to; I smply didn't accept the interpretation)

As for "they could have said Wuthering Heights..." -- no. The whole joke (and we're certainly proving the old saw that nothing kills a joke like explaining it) is that focus groups are loaded down with doofuses whose responses to movies are of no real value whatever -- that they'd even have stupid stuff to say about (arguably) the two most famous and beloved films of all time. It HAD to be Gone with The Wind.

Can't say any more.

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”