The Categories

For the films of 2011
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: The Categories

Post by FilmFan720 »

You were subtracting from 19, when it should be 18.

Wyler: Picture, Actor, Actress, Supp Actor, Supp Actress, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Story, Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound, Score, Editing, Costume Design, Visual Effects

Scorsese: Picture, Actor, Actress, Supp Actor, Supp Actress, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound, Editing, Costume Design, Visual Effects, Sound Effects

Zinnemann (should be 14!!): Picture, Actor, Supp Actor, Supp Actress, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Story, Cinematography, Sound, Sound, Score, Song Score, Editing, Costume Design
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I must have added something wrong somewhere...how did I get 15 for Scorsese and 14 for Jackson? And which categories are you counting for Wyler and Zinnemann? I can believe most of the rest.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Without differentiating between B/W and Color in those categories:

15 - William Wyler
14 - Martin Scorsese, Fred Zinnemann
13 - Peter Jackson, David Lean
12 - James Cameron, Francis Coppola, Victor Fleming, John Ford, Henry King, George Stevens, Vincente Minnelli
11 - Elia Kazan, Robert Wise
10 - George Cukor, Michael Curtiz, Jerome Robbins, Steven Spielberg, Billy Wilder
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote: And I guess I never really think of Alice as a Martin Scorsese film, but that gives him 15, one in each acting category, thus making him leader, I believe.
Well, he would be tied with William Wyler, and I'm not sure who else.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's good to know the other data, but really I was only looking at number of categories in which they won awards, not their grand totals.

And I guess I never really think of Alice as a Martin Scorsese film, but that gives him 15, one in each acting category, thus making him leader, I believe.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

William Wyler has the record for 38 wins for his films (in 15 categories...18 if you split into B/W and color)

Spielberg is next with 28 wins (in only 10 categories)

The rest of the Top 10:
David Lean (27)
Fred Zinnemann (24)
Vincente Minnelli (23)
James Cameron, John Ford, Elia Kazan (21)
Peter Jackson, Martin Scorsese (20)
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Other than Scorsese and Peter Jackson (whose Lord of the Rings films won 14 categories combined) and probably Steven Spielberg, what other directors have managed to win in so many or nearly as many categories?
James Cameron = 21 wins in 12 categories
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Best Actress was the first Oscar won by a Scorsese movie - Ellen Burstyn's win for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

Isn't William Wyler out in front in terms of individual Oscars for his films? Certainly glancing down his filmography there are a lot of winning movies there, and I'm pretty sure he must have come up trumps in most if not all categories for which his works were eligible.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

The Categories

Post by OscarGuy »

I realized tonight that with his wins in Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Visual Effects this year, Martin Scorsese becomes one of the most honored directors of all time (at least for his films) when it comes to different categories.

Of the 19 competitive live action feature categories, his films have only failed to win: Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Original Song and Best Makeup, making 14 total categories of recognition.

Other than Scorsese and Peter Jackson (whose Lord of the Rings films won 14 categories combined) and probably Steven Spielberg, what other directors have managed to win in so many or nearly as many categories?
Wesley Lovell

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”